OT: Shelf Life of Hard Disks...

Posted by Ben King 
Re: OT: Shelf Life of Hard Disks...
September 12, 2008 11:02PM
A DVD is a DVD is a DVD. There's no difference, as long as you get the right formulation (+R or -R) and the right composition (single- or dual-layer).

PG
September 12, 2008 11:13PM
Jeff,

I Googled data DVDs and it seems as though I might need special software in order to archive my video footage as data. This method of archiving is new to me so assistance from Cafe LA is greatly appreciated as always.

My FCP system consists of two separate Mac Intels, etc.

Thanks again.

PG
September 12, 2008 11:16PM
> I Googled data DVDs and it seems as though I might need special software in order to archive
> my video footage as data.

Who told you this? Practically any computer with a DVD drive these days can burn data DVDs. Even simpler on a Mac -- unless you have a very old Mac with only a DVD reader, not a burner. Otherwise, just insert a blank DVD and it will mount on your desktop as if it were a drive.

www.derekmok.com
September 13, 2008 04:46PM
PG,

Whomever told you that compression is introduced into Data DVDs is wrong. It's just like copying your files to a hard drive...they are COPIED and burned AS IS.

I gave you a link to the DL-DVD's in my previous post and I have never had an issue of a bad disk in 5 years of using them. You can also use DVD-R's but they are half the capacity. If you have Mac Intels, you have Dual Layer DVD Burners built right in as well as archiving software.

Your information source needs an education, my friend confused smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

PG
September 13, 2008 05:49PM
Thanks for the followup Joey, however, I must be missing something.

I have a stack of DVD-R discs and will also purchase some of the DLs as well but what is the exact process of recording FCP footage to a disc while treating it like a data file? Whenever I attempt to do so it records it like a regular DVD for TV.

What am I missing. It's probably something very simple but I still don't grasp it.

Thanks again.

PG
September 13, 2008 05:57PM
> I have a stack of DVD-R discs and will also purchase some of the DLs as well but what is the
> exact process of recording FCP footage to a disc while treating it like a data file? Whenever I
> attempt to do so it records it like a regular DVD for TV.

You're not understanding the process.

When a blank CD or DVD is inserted into the Mac's drive, OS will detect that it's blank and will come up with a dialog box asking what you want to do with it. (If it doesn't ask, go into System Preferences - Hardware - CDs & DVDs and check the "When you insert a blank CD/DVD" preferences.)

Tell OS to mount the disc on the desktop and it will show up. At this point, it behaves like any drive; you can open it into a window showing its contents (nothing, at this point). Any files you want to backup, drag them directly onto the disc. With Macs, the copy process doesn't complete until you "Burn" the disc, so after you've backed up the files you want onto the disc, click on the "Burn" button on the window.

www.derekmok.com
September 13, 2008 06:15PM
I think you are overcomplicating things D...

* Right click (Control/Click) on the desktop & choose "New Burn Folder" (A folder with the "BURN" icon will appear)
* Double-click it to open (see the "BURN" button upper right?)
* Drag your files to this folder enough to fill the disk (a DL disk holds 7.9 GB - DVD-R about 4.2 GB). Aliases to each file will appear in the "BURN" folder.
* Drop in a blank disk
* Click the "BURN" button

...the end.

PG
September 14, 2008 04:34PM
4 Sata serial hard drives over two years. No loss.
PG
September 14, 2008 08:03PM
Joey & Derek,

Thanks for the step by step guide. All is working well.

Greatly appreciated.

PG
DH
September 20, 2008 08:51PM
Hi all.

This is a very informative thread, and it made me re-think my own backup strategy. I would be more prone to follow grafixjoe's strategy of backing up to DVD-5s (4.7 GB) or DVD-9s (8.5 GB), or Blue-Ray when it becomes more economical.

However, a few years ago, I read an Internet article that discussed "disc rot." It said that disc rot happens when the epoxy that holds together the polycarbonate discs that comprise a DVD breaks down and air begins to get between them. This air then begins to oxidize and attack the reflective layers over time. Basically, the article says that if the manufacturer did a poor job of gluing together the DVD, there is a potential for disc rot. If you look carefully at the sides of a DVD, you can actually see the waves of glue.

I'm not sure there is a "failsafe" long-term archiving method that does not require some maintenance over its longevity. For me, I believe that burning my files to DVD optical media and keeping that media in a dark undisturbed place (shoebox in a closet or something) would be my best solution. Of course, I would probably need to checksum that media periodically and reburn the data to new disks after a period of a year or so. The expense of doing so can add up, but nothing is as expensive as permanently losing important data.

Thoughts?

Take care.

-DH
September 20, 2008 09:08PM
Ah... Haven't got back to this thread for a bit... DVDs are a good way to back up stuff. I do mine this way too. I mentioned LTOs for houses, but it's a lot pricier..

DVDs should be good for quite a few years, especially if you get good brands and printable ones (the coating is much more durable). Store them away from heat, humidity and dust. You can also use silica gel to absorb moisture in the boxes, but make sure to change them every few months.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 23, 2008 01:58PM

I read an Internet article that discussed "disc rot."

Like everything in this business...you have to take care of those disks too...like keep them individually jacketed in a CD Book and in a cool dry dark place like a studio cabinet. I have been backing up on DVD's since recordables came available (CD's before that) and I have never had nor seen "disc rot". I can still access discs I burned 12 years ago. Maybe because I have always used name brand discs like Verbatim / Maxell / TDK.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics