TIVO like software for MAC?

Posted by John Foley 
TIVO like software for MAC?
September 14, 2008 02:32PM
I ran into a situation that needs to archive a video feed for maybe 1-2 minutes and then stream it back out. You know, time shifting a bit.

Is there any other solution than a TIVO box?
Re: TIVO like software for MAC?
September 14, 2008 03:53PM
Screen capture?

www.derekmok.com
September 14, 2008 04:44PM
You can't record, then start playing back while still recording with screen capture software. The only thing I know that does this...professionally...is...is...crap. What is that software? They use it on the Tour de France and Wimbleton...

PICTURE READY! www.pictureready.com. Not cheap.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
September 14, 2008 08:28PM
Thanks, I understand pictureready is EXPENSIVE and uses XServes as hosts.

Just wondering if anything other than a real TIVO would work? Guess a real TIVO box is the best answer.

I am surprised that someone doesn't make a software to simulate a $250,00 TIVO hardware box, though.
September 14, 2008 08:32PM
A Tivo is a carefully manufactured embedded computer system with a lot of complex parts that have to work perfectly together. It's basically impossible to emulate all that in software alone. To the extent that it can be done it all, it's not reliable. And in order to make it reliable, it requires a level of complexity that makes it ludicrously impractical compared to just buying a box to do it.

The Daily Show runs entirely on a rack of off-the-shelf Tivos, recording live TV for later playback and dubbing to Beta SP. Simplicity is a virtue.

September 14, 2008 11:04PM
what about '' Sling Box ''

You could put the feed in the sling box than streamed it real time over the internet. And you could recorded it on your mac and streamed it real time also.

Its just a suggestion as i am not sure about my understanding of the problem...lol
September 15, 2008 01:23AM
how about Softron's Movie Recorder ... that should do the trick
[www.softron.tv]
September 15, 2008 09:33AM
Hey, Thanks for the info about Movie recorder. I guess the hardware TVIO is still the only reasonable solution.

Just thought I might be missing something.
September 15, 2008 01:14PM
Since you're sliding in and out of "real" TIVO land, my "TV" is a Mac mini.

[www.kozco.com]

I "TIVO" (to coin a verb) all day long. I can edit and export, too.

This device has inputs other than the roof antenna.

No idea if this is any help at all.

Koz
September 15, 2008 03:17PM
Well, the real application is syncing two church services together with the main event (sermon) played back at a different time (maybe 1-2 minutes later than it was captured in a live stream.)

That's why I said: Most likely a TIVO HD box will do the job at the least cost.
September 15, 2008 04:19PM
WHOA. Hold up.

No Tivo, either a Series 2 or TivoHD, has input connectors other than a coax port. And TivoHDs only work if you have installed cable cards; they won't even advance to the next screen until it's configured to a cable signal. I'm not even sure there's a way to smash record on any Tivo without identifying the recording as coming from a TV channel.

What's wrong with recording the live feed directly into FCP (with Capture Now and non-controllable device) and then just playing back the captured clip a couple minutes later? You'd have adequate time to pick your in and out points and render some cross dissolves, then just play back from your timeline directly into your switcher or projector.

JK

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics