Opening a new HD

Posted by seeker 
Opening a new HD
September 26, 2008 01:28PM
After I installed a new HD and transferred all of my files to it from "HDV" (hard drive, video), an external HD which is crashing (and is now ejected) and contains some important FCP files, from FCP I get the message: "Missing Disks", "To preserve the integrity...etc.", and "'#HDV/' missing". It gives me three options: Reset Scratch Disks, Check again, Quit. OK, I know it is looking for the new path. What is the best way to handle this? Just click on reset and go with it? I hesitate because I don't want to "burn" a non-working path that I then have to get rid of and all the confusion that goes with it. Or should I create a new desktop icon for HDV leading to the new HD as an alternative?
Re: Opening a new HD
September 26, 2008 01:31PM
Yes, hit "reset scratch disks."

Also? Naming your framestore after a video format is just asking for confusion. It'd be like naming your framestore "Tape."

"Where's that footage?"

"Oh, it's on Tape."

"Dammit, I have to capture it again? Crap!"

September 27, 2008 12:08AM
"Reset Scratch disk" means that you redefine where to set your capture scratch, render files, autosave files, etc. "Check again" means that Final Cut will again try to find the hard disk, "Quit" means to quit the program.

So yes, reset scratch disk. You need to define where the essential files that Final Cut is going to generate are going to go to, as the old drive is no longer connected.

Geez! "HDV"- hard drive, video? I usually give quirkier names, as nothing reeks of less imagination than stock machine names like "edit 1", "edit 2", "media drive 1". Even NASA had more imagination with their names!

Here's a list of dog names you could try out:

[www.top-dogs-names.com]

Or you could name them after fruits, or the people working on the project...

www.strypesinpost.com
September 27, 2008 08:38AM
OK, I just renamed it "Rita". Whatever. It's just a hard drive guys! It doesn't care.
Thanks for the advice and guidance. Works fine now.
September 27, 2008 10:53AM
<<<Here's a list of dog names you could try out:

[www.top-dogs-names.com]

Or you could name them after fruits, or the people working on the project...>>>

Or fruits working on the project.

I picked "Booger." Whimsey is alive and well on the LAFCPUG.

Koz
September 27, 2008 10:57AM
Strypes, my system is "Edit 1." Don't judge.

I personally avoid creative names, just because I like simplicity, and I hate the "really? really?" conversation when you have to explain where a name came from. But a friend of mine runs a facility in Dallas, and after some consideration together he decided to name his three new Discreet systems "robotdevil," "hedonismbot" and "calculon."

September 27, 2008 11:56AM
Same here. I have "Macintosh HD", "Scratch 230GB", "FW 930GB" and so on.

Nothing against "creative" names as long as they are unique. And not too complex to type. "hedonismbot" is just silly...making work for himself!

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics