av1 files

Posted by seeker 
av1 files
September 27, 2008 09:57AM
Can you reconstruct av1 files? Lost one and while the clip plays in preview it won't load into FCP.
How did I lose it? Corrupted?
Re: av1 files
September 27, 2008 10:21AM
The issue isn't how you lost it, but how did you get it in the first place? You shouldn't be working with these clips if the quicktime files have an -av extension, as they complicate matters when you shift the files or lose one of the -av files.

These types of files are usually created when you run a capture of more than 4 gigs on a drive that is formatted to FAT32. When the capture limit is reached, FCP generates an -av extension and splits the file. This works in a way, like a reference movie which you can export from Final Cut. Quicktime is a versatile file format and allows media to be either stored in the file itself, or it can reference the link to the media file. In this case, the quicktime file references the link to the -av file which stores the media. The quicktime movie becomes useless when the original file is shifted or deleted, as the link is no longer valid.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 27, 2008 10:36AM
Thank you. Interesting how I created the problem. Don't remember up-loading 4+ gigs but may have. Guess I'm ****** then from the sounds of it.
September 27, 2008 11:58AM
> you run a capture of more than 4 gigs on a drive that is formatted to FAT32.

It's 2GB, actually. Not at all hard to go over 2GB in video editing.

Just recapture the thing, and do it right this time.

www.derekmok.com
September 27, 2008 02:12PM
It's 4 gigs for FAT32, and 2 gigs on FAT16. And yep, recapture the affected files and you're fine.

Also, as a side note, P2s utilize the FAT32 file system, so it splits long clips into 4 gig chunks (spanning clips)....

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics