Dead FW Drive

Posted by Kevin Monahan 
Dead FW Drive
September 27, 2008 02:34PM
Just getting ready to clean up a doc about 2 women that go into the wilds of Papua, Indonesia. Unfortunately, one of the drives won't mount. Appears to be a WD drive. Client said drive was spotty, but not sure what she meant. I can hear the drive spinning, but Disk Utility can't see it.

Any ideas other than removing the HD and placing it in another enclousure? Awaiting client's ideas.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Re: Dead FW Drive
September 27, 2008 02:37PM
Run Disk Warrior. The last hope.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 27, 2008 02:40PM
open the enclosure, find out the connection type then toddle down to your neighborhood computer store and get a new enclosure for like $30
September 27, 2008 05:08PM
Unfortunately, I don't have a current copy of DW. On my list of to-do's since I recently updated to Leopard. Can't remember if you can run DW if the drive won't mount.

Might open the enclosure, but may invest in a new cable. It's a weird one. FW800>FW400. Could this be an issue?

Kevin Monahan
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Follow Me on Twitter!
September 27, 2008 05:14PM
Probably not. Firewire 400 and 800 are totally backwards-compatible. You can hook up an 800 device to a 400 port just by using the right cable.

Disk Warrior can be bought online and downloaded immediately. It's a good investment.

September 27, 2008 05:21PM
Can you refresh my memory how DW could detect my dead drive?

Kevin Monahan
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Follow Me on Twitter!
September 27, 2008 05:23PM
Oh, I misread your question. You said Disk Utility can't see it. Sorry. Yeah, you're boned.

September 27, 2008 05:46PM
DiskWarrior has a slim chance of reading drives that even Disk Utility can't see. Slim, but not none. Try plugging in the drive with DiskWarrior already launched or launching.

www.derekmok.com
September 28, 2008 11:51AM
Figured it out. Weird way to mount this drive.

1. Boot computer
2. Spin up drive
3. Connect to drive first
4. Connect to computer

Usually, I attach the drives prior to booting up the Mac.

Man, this drove me crazy. Look out for those Western Digital drives.

Kevin Monahan
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Follow Me on Twitter!
September 28, 2008 11:52AM
5. Immediately dub everything on that drive off to a minimum of two other believed-to-be-reliable drives.

September 28, 2008 11:58AM
6. Don't buy Western Digital drives. In my experience, they are fast approaching Lacie for high failure rates.

www.derekmok.com
September 28, 2008 11:59AM
The failure rate of hard drives compared to anything else is ridiculous. Frankly, I'm kind of astonished that we put up with it at all.

September 28, 2008 12:06PM
It's probably because compared to other components in our work, external hard drives are the most accessible and available to consumers and prosumers. So the manufacturing standards and quality are comparatively lower, as are the prices. It was only in 2000 that I had to pay $800 for a 42GB Promax FireWire drive. Back then, no consumer was using a 42GB hard drive. Now you get USB flash sticks that have 16GB in storage for $50, and 500GB drives for $90. But my 42GB drive still mounts every time, while a 500GB Western Digital would be lucky to last two years. Lower prices, lower quality.

www.derekmok.com
September 28, 2008 12:08PM

Don't buy Western Digital drives. In my experience, they are fast approaching Lacie for high failure rates.

That's because LaCie uses mainly WD & Maxtor drives in their units. Coincidence??? Hmmmm.....

Look out for those Western Digital drives.

Oy...Kev, you write books...you should know better than to use that junk.

Western Digital / Maxtor = early death. Seagate has just released a new 1 TB Barracuda 7200 RPM drive for $139.00 (New Egg has them in stock already) that I suspect will be the industry standard (Seagate has always been that for me):

[www.newegg.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 28, 2008 02:55PM
as a side note, i saw this over at OWC/macsales today:

$29. connects just about any drive mechanism...

[eshop.macsales.com]
September 29, 2008 10:34AM
Joey,
You know me. It's not my drive. It's the client's. I try not to buy WD or Maxtor at all.

Kevin Monahan
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Follow Me on Twitter!
September 29, 2008 10:32PM
What's really funny is if you go to the Maxtor website at he bottom of the home page is a
©2008 Seagate Technology LLC About Seagate link in the Navbar so Maxtors are made by Seagate.
Thought you might like to know. I have lot's of WD's and they all work and many are oldish.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
September 29, 2008 10:49PM
Maxtor owned by Seagate - that doesn't mean Seagate HDDs are made in the same way or in the same place as Maxtor.

Maxtor is a cheaper brand both in build and cost so thats why many of us do not touch them.

I'm also beginning to have problems with the Samsung Spinpoint HDDs in my RAID - they are fine as separates though...

Seagate are soon to release their 1.5TB SATA II HDD - exciting!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
September 29, 2008 10:52PM
You know we're all editing nerds when we can actually say, "I'm excited about a hard drive!"

And yesterday at "Live Band Karaoke" I actually found the other editor in a lounge of 40 people and started talking about codecs on a Sunday night.

We're doomed. Well, I am.

www.derekmok.com
September 29, 2008 11:08PM
sad smiley I thought the idea of having 12TB in an 8 drive RAID was quite exciting especially as some are quoting a 120MBps sustained rate from each single 1.5TB HDD...

8x 120 = 960MBps smiling smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
September 29, 2008 11:39PM
Ben King Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maxtor owned by Seagate - that doesn't mean
> Seagate HDDs are made in the same way or in the
> same place as Maxtor.
>
> Maxtor is a cheaper brand both in build and cost
> so thats why many of us do not touch them.
>
> I'm also beginning to have problems with the
> Samsung Spinpoint HDDs in my RAID - they are fine
> as separates though...
>
> Seagate are soon to release their 1.5TB SATA II
> HDD - exciting!

That could be totally true. But the Seagate's do have 5 year guarantee that's a plus.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
September 29, 2008 11:59PM
Maxtor was purchased by Seagate a couple years ago but I believe the drives are still made separately by the two companies. Hopefully Seagate will improve Maxtor's quality over time.

I have a relative in Seagate's research division and he said that basically the smaller drive makers will not be able to compete due to the high research and engineering costs associated with recording to smaller and smaller surface areas with much higher density.

He mentioned that in research they are already approaching the limits of size/density of recorded information with current platter technology. But the industrial engineering of the manufactured product is a couple of years behind the research work, so there are still bigger capacity drives in the pipeline.
September 30, 2008 09:53AM

And yesterday at "Live Band Karaoke" I actually found the other editor in a lounge of 40 people and started talking about codecs on a Sunday night.

Let's see...codecs...or girls...HMMMmmmmmmm.....beer & codecs does sound like fun, but...

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 02, 2008 05:31AM
Hi,

I just joined in today.
Incidentally, i'm in a hunt for an external hard drive. I had my eye on a 1 TB WD drive.
Then i read your post, now i have my doubts.
What can you recommend?

I'm also new to FCP. Is there an online class available?

regards,

Franz V. Bunsoy
Studio-Traffic Manager
Promoaction-DDB
Jeddah, KSA
October 23, 2008 04:30PM
Seagate all the way, not because I have not had Seagates fail before, but COMPLETELY due to the warranty. To my knowledge, only drive on the market with a warranty of 5 years.
Do we really honestly expect a hard working little slave to last more than 5 years?
Or ANY piece of technology for that matter?

Treatment
October 23, 2008 06:21PM
Kevin i have had a a few problems with my caldigit svr's. they were not gone tho. they just sent a new power supply. Do you have another power supply?

about the seagate thing:

i had said i was gonna stay away from them for caldigit and hitachi (rev control a plus for quiet running). However i heard so many good things about it that i just got 2x1tb sata2 7200.11 internals because of the push rates everyone keeps raving about.

i will have 1 machine with a Pioneer, Hitachi and 2 Seagate's. the hitachi is 1 year old so if it outlast the seagate i will bee hitachi 4ever.

i haven't seen a post yet to say a seagate failed in the 1st 5-7 years.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics