24P to NTSC

Posted by ron 
ron
24P to NTSC
September 28, 2008 06:15PM
Friends...

I've gotten some great advice here about this project previously...but now that it is done, I just wanted to check the current thinking on converting from 24P to Standard NTSC.

I've finished a project which I shot and cut in 24p 1080. I am now ready to output the final cut - which must be in Standard NTSC. I want to keep the full image - i.e. letterbox. What is considered the best process for doing this? Do I create a new NTSC timeline and drop the final 24p picture on it and then render?. Or do I output the 24p video using Compressor and change it into a NTSC pic at that time... then re import it to the new timeline? And in either case, when should I resize the image to preserve the letterbox?

By the way... my Black Magic Extreme has a down conversion setting for outputting - HD to SD on the fly - but is that best quality? And so far... it seems to squeeze the picture rather than outputting a clean letterbox in NTSC.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Ron
Re: 24P to NTSC
September 28, 2008 08:45PM
>my Black Magic Extreme has a down conversion setting for outputting... it seems to
>squeeze the picture rather than outputting a clean letterbox in NTSC.

Go to decklink settings in preferences, select downconvert options to "letterboxed".

Also, i think you can set the pulldown on the card at the same time.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 29, 2008 04:09AM
Why on earth would you letterbox?
You know widescreen video in SD is anamophic, do you?

Bouke
www.videotoolshed.com
September 29, 2008 04:18AM
Not everybody wants to take the risk of coming across a non-anamorphic-enabled device. So there's a good reason to just go to letterbox.

www.derekmok.com
September 29, 2008 05:29AM
Usually my rule of thumb. DVDs, leave as 16:9, DVD player will letterbox. SD 4:3 broadcast letterboxed 4:3 or "center cut", depending on specs.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 29, 2008 06:12AM
Yup. DVDs should always be anamorphic; let the player sort it out. But if you're mastering a widescreen program to NTSC videotape, you may in fact want to letterbox.

September 29, 2008 10:00AM
I do the same thing. But if push comes to shove, pillarboxed (letterboxed SD on widescreen device) is better than proportions out of whack (anamorphic 16:9 on non-anamorphic-enabled device)!

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics