OT: Caldigit FirewireVR question for Jon Schilling...

Posted by grafixjoe 
OT: Caldigit FirewireVR question for Jon Schilling...
October 02, 2008 09:25AM
Hey Jon,

I just purchased 2 FirewireVR units (640 GB each). One is RAID "0" for performance / work, the other is RAID "1" for protected backup. I love these units...I have a 320 GB G-RAID2 sitting on top of them and all I can hear is the G-RAID2 fan rattling away. The FirewireVRs are whisper quiet & much faster with transfers.

The FWVR I am using for backup = my plan is just to pull out the drives when full and archive them in that cute little archive box that comes with the units. There are warnings on the sleds "Warranty Void If Removed". My question to you is... if I take the sleds off the drives and put them on other more cost effective drives purchased (Seagate 1 TB Barracudas, for example), why does it void the warranty? Can I purchase empty sleds?

Seagate 1 TB Barracuda drives = $139 (approx)
Caldigit 1 TB Hitachi module = $500 (approx)

Thanks so much.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: OT: Caldigit FirewireVR question for Jon Schilling...
October 02, 2008 10:43AM
Joey,

Thanks for buying CalDigit. We really do appreciate every single customer we have.

Here's the stock answer to answer your question.

CalDigit Solutions work, right out of the box, with SINGLE VENDOR SUPPORT.
We've eliminated the multiple points of failure that can happen with a DIY (Do it yourself solution)

All CalDigit firmware and drivers are updated on a regular basis (latest drivers are available on our website) to assure you that your CalDigit products will work with OS changes or other updates to applications & software, and will work right, right out of the box and down the road.

Mapping Table Issues/Corruption of Data/Drive Mounting Issues when Using Your Own Drives

If you were to use your own hard drives inside our enclosure you will more than likely experience data loss and or mounting issues at some point in time after updating or upgrading your OS. CalDigit only uses engineering approved hard drives in our enclosures. We work closely with our approved hard drive manufacturers, to make sure our drivers and firmware are up to date & uploaded on our website so that you will not experience any negative issues. All hard drives are NOT the same. Some hard drives are incapable of dealing with the high bandwidth requirements needed to do Uncompressed Video Editing!

The short answer is we don't sell any product unpopulated.

We've also just recently adjusted our module pricing, a 1TB drive module now runs about $249.00
October 02, 2008 10:56AM

We've also just recently adjusted our module pricing, a 1TB drive module now runs about $249.00

That is what I am talking about thumbs down...but I don't think these price adjustments have made it to the stores yet though (my research still shows around $500.00 each). Where would I find them for that (approx $249.00) price?

OK...so my FWVR came with 2 - 320 GB drives. If I purchase 2 - 1 TB units, I can simply swap them out, format them in Disk Utility and I am ready to go?

All makes very good sense, Jon. These units are sweet - highly recommend them to everybody. Thank you for the perfect answer (& price adjustment!)

October 02, 2008 11:08AM
Joey.

I thought that the drive module price adjustment would make you & a number of people happy. We just sent out the new pricing yesterday. Contact me direct & I'll hook you up to your choice of dealers to buy from.

You also said: If I purchase 2 - 1 TB units, I can simply swap them out, format them in Disk Utility and I am ready to go?

Answer: All you'll need to do is put them in. If you're running them in the same RAID level as the drives previous, you're good to go.

They'll be pre-formatted for RAID 0 out the door.

If you need to change the RAID level to SAY RAID 1, here's that process:

# How to configure FireWireVR drives in RAID1 (Protected Mode) properly?

Whenever you want to switch from JBOD, Performance, or Concatenated mode to Protected mode (RAID1)- you need to wipe out all the data and partition two drives separately. First under JBOD, then rotate switch to PROTECTED MODE. For example, if you are in Performance mode and you intend to switch to Protected mode, you need to do the following:

1. Unmount volume and turn off FireWireVR.
2. Rotate switch to JBOD.
3. Turn FireWireVR power on.
4. Go to Disk Utility or Disk Management and partition these two drives individually.
(This is to make sure you have identical drives and contents before switching to RAID1.)
5. Unmount JBOD volumes then turn off FireWireVR.
6. Rotate RAID switch to Protected, then turn FireWireVR on.
7. Use Disk Utility or Disk Management to partition RAID drive.

Also Joey, we've got a new product coming soon (NOV Ship Date), that has a Quadruple Interface 2 FW800 ports, 1 FW400 port, 1 USB2.0 port & 1 eSATA port. This new product replaces the FireWireVR, which yours is still fully supported incidentally, and also replaces the S2VRDuo. This new product also has it's own GUI to control the RAID, should you want to do so, you'll also be able to configure it through the box, as with your FireWireVR. The eSATA speeds on a MacPro will be 200MB/s.

Here's a pic: [www.caldigit.com] Note, the working name was Quadra RAID, but now it's the CalDigit VR.
October 02, 2008 11:56AM
LMFAO...that figures, Jon...you know...no matter how long I hold out on a purchase...the following month something is released that is exactly what I was WAITING FOR!!! (insert smiley : pulling out hair / shooting myself in the head).

...and it's SEXIER TOO!!!

This is absolutely incredible...and this is the truth...this is the second time I purchased something from CalDigit and a month later it was discontinued (purchased an S2VR HD for my former employer The Golf Channel). I am starting to feel cursed sad smiley

How long are the FirewireVRs supported after they are discontinued? Are the modules from the FWVR going to be able to be read by the QuadraRAID? Do you have any rear / module pics of this pretty thing?

October 02, 2008 12:44PM
I love the FirwireVR drives...but I also REALLY love the Quad interface ones (I have a G-Drive-Q and a MaxxDigital Desktop...both Quads)...and I plan on buying the new Caldigit QuadRaid when it is out.

And yes Joe, you have the worst timing when it comes to drive purchases. But they did announce this drive last month...mid Sept...at IBC. Miss that?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 02, 2008 12:56PM
Joey/Shane.

The new product, 2 bay Quadruple interface is officially now named the CalDigit VR.

Joey, I hear what you're saying, but fear not, the FireWireVR like your S2VRHD is still fully supported & warranted. We had the need to update the FireWireVR & also to build a suitable replacement for the S2VRDuo, and we've accomplished both things in the CalDigit VR

You asked: How long are the FirewireVRs supported after they are discontinued?

Answer: 2 year warranty from the date of purchase.

You asked: Are the modules from the FWVR going to be able to be read by the CalDigit VR?

Answer: No, but modules for the FWVR will continue to be offered. Because the technology involved on the new product (CalDigit VR) differs from the FireWireVR enabling the same drive modules to be used would be problematic, because of the different interfaces involved, the GUI on the new product, etc.

You asked: Do you have any rear / module pics of this pretty thing?

Answer: YES!

Here is the page with all the pics, the product page is coming soon:

[www.caldigit.com] scroll down the page......

[www.caldigit.com] back panel view.....

Note the NAME has not been updated on the website yet, IT STILL READS "QUADRA RAID", again the product is called the CalDigit VR.

Shipping Late NOV 08
October 02, 2008 01:12PM
CalDigit VR Press Release

The CalDigit VR RAID is the most complete two drive RAID system on the market today. It offers impressive performance, unmatched connectivity, and superior quality all in a sleek and easily upgradable enclosure that is both small and functional.

The CalDigit VR offers two 3.5" hot swappable drive modules. This allows for easy upgrades, replacement and archiving. The CalDigit VR utilizes the latest SATA drive technology to provide reliable and and speedy performance, up to 200MB/sec.

The quadruple interface includes USB 2.0, Firewire 400, Firewire 800, and eSATA. The CalDigit VR offers support for four different modes RAID 0, 1, JBOD and concatenated.

These RAID levels can be set via a GUI (Graphic User Interface) or via switch on the RAID itself, an industry first. The CalDigit VR GUI also offers event notification via email. With a sleek, solid and modular design, the CalDigit VR features an easy to read orange backlight LCD screen that indicates RAID capacity, RAID information as well as an environmental monitor. The CalDigit VR was designed to run cool and quiet, making it a perfect desktop companion that is also RoHS & CE compliant.

The CalDigit VR offers several different capacity options, from 500GB to 2TB, starting at just $399. The CalDigit VR is scheduled to ship in late NOV 2008, from your favorite CalDigit
resellers.
October 02, 2008 01:23PM

And yes Joe, you have the worst timing when it comes to drive purchases. But they did announce this drive last month...mid Sept...at IBC. Miss that?

Gee shane...thanks for the confirmation of my poor judgement / bad luck sad smiley You knew these were announced & didn't post anything up? Wow...bummer. I am surprised nobody else did either. A trip to Amsterdam wasn't feasible financially or schedule-wise.

Now I understand why the price adjustment was implemented for the modules * sigh *. I would have purchased 2 of the CalDigit VRs instead of an EOL item (which irks me to death) if I would have known.

October 02, 2008 01:49PM
I try not to be a corporate shill. I don't work for CalDigit...I just like them.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
October 02, 2008 02:13PM
Recommending something you like doesn't make you a corporate shill. Recommending something you like because you work for the company makes you a corporate shill. I love CalDigit stuff...so I recommend it to colleagues. Would have been nice to hear from someone who went to IBC about those new CalDigit VR drives, darn it.

You recommend Matrox stuff heavily...do you work for them or just like them?

October 03, 2008 05:42PM
Like them. I recommend AJA too. I recommend who I like. The fact that I worked a few trade shows for Caldigit and Matrox doesn't put me on their tab....if they made something that didn't work for me, I'd say so. I like the Kona cards because they do everything that I need them to do. I like Matrox because they are a great inexpensive way for people who need to monitor HD but don't need a card to injest and can't afford the higher end HD broadcast monitors.

I also really like MaxxDigital and their EvoHD. Doing great on a british show we are working on. And I have their Quad interface desktop drive that I use to transport media from us to the colorist to the place doing the layoffs.

USED to like G-Tech...but I no longer tout them.

Oh, but i know you were kidding there. Just wanted to mention that yes, I did work for those companies at trade shows, but I am not paid to like their product. I have been asked by others but turned them down.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
October 03, 2008 06:16PM
That's why I mentioned it...I know you use & like CalDigit and so it would have been nice to hear about that new QuadraDrive right after they announced it (before I purchased 2 VRs). Oh well...live & learn. I am sure these drives will last quite a long time.

Yeah - Aja just flat-out rocks.

USED to like G-Tech...but I no longer tout them.

I agree with you on this. Not recommending these anymore. Not liking the noises coming from my 320 Gigger after only 2 years.

...and I am sure you were kidding when you asked if I "missed IBC". I am not the jet-setting demo guy you are winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics