G-Raid G-SpeedES noise level?

Posted by JoeE 
G-Raid G-SpeedES noise level?
October 04, 2008 11:14AM
Are these raids as quiet as the plain g-raid? I'm in a situation where I need quiet drives.
Re: G-Raid G-SpeedES noise level?
October 04, 2008 11:15AM
They're incredibly quiet. I never hear the drives in my G-Speed, which is right by my console. I only hear the low hum of the fan.

October 04, 2008 01:08PM
Um...I don't know how quiet the G-SPEED ES is, but my G-RAID2 320 Gigger is quite loud...bordering on annoying. The fan rattling goes in & out. Even the drive spin-ups are loud. I just purchased 2 CalDigit Firewire VRs and I have all 3 stacked up...I can only hear the G-RAID2. What a pleasure the FWVRs are...can barely hear the 2 of them.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 04, 2008 06:08PM
Yes, I know about the G-raids and the broken fans, but I heard they had fixed that problem and that the fans are easily replaceable if they get noisy. The CalDigits are the way to go, but I was hoping for a little budget relief.
October 04, 2008 06:47PM
G-tech solved that problem along time ago. They are fine

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 04, 2008 06:59PM
I didn't say they didn't fix the fan problem...I just said that after 2 years of typical post production use, it is making frightening noises (HD clicking / fan).

Budget relief in this case leads to settling for much less of a drive and much lower performance. Have you researched these side by side? There is no comparison performance wise - G-Speed wins hands down and you can configure them RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 & JBOD. GRAID2 can't do that

The only problem is...the closer to full the G-RAID2s get, the worse the performance gets...and forget about daisy chaining them...even worse performance hit.

The CalDigit Firewire VRs throughput stays sustained as the drives fill up and when daisy chained. There's that...and you can configure them - RAID 0, 1 (protected), JBOD. Can't do that with G-RAID2. Hot swap FWVR drives & increase capacity...GRAID2 can't do that.

If I were you, I would look into this new drive coming out by CalDigit called the CalDigit VR. It combines the Firewire VR and S2VR Duo into a quad interface (FW400 / FW800 / UBS2.0 / SATA). Jon Schilling from Caldigit talks about it in this thread:

[www.lafcpug.org]

"Budget relief" usually comes back to bite you in the butt later. How much is your (and your client's) project data worth? It's priceless to the client and should be treated that way IMHO...worth the extra money.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 04, 2008 11:24PM
Yeah, I talked to John. They may not be available before our project starts so I'm researching options. But the VR would probably be my first choice if I can find the money. Have the released a price yet?
October 05, 2008 02:34PM
The ES are wicked loud, trust me, we have 3 blocks in 3 editing bays(ok cubicles really) and they are super loud. I love G-Tech and all their other drives but these things are way louder than the should be, and the fans never spool down, even if the computer is off. And if you disconnect cables improperly, an alarm goes off that beeps fairly loudly.

Performance wise they do they job tho, we got the better controller card and i can say it was def worth it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics