Pixel size limitations

Posted by Scott Erickson 
Pixel size limitations
October 09, 2008 12:36PM
What exactly is the pixel size limitation for stills working inside final cut studio?

Recently i got some extremely high res stills to use from an artist(6000x4496) and i did some zooms and pans to show all the details of the work. Final Cut didn't give me any problems during import, everything worked properly and rendered fine but there was no way to get it out of Final Cut to a QuickTime. Exporting using Compressor even with Frame Controls turned on just gave me a blank screen and the same when Exporting straight to Quicktime from FCP. I had to go back in and scale it back 50% and re-create the pans and scale up the media in FCP to get the details and long pans i wanted. Then i could finally get them to export.

I know technically i should prep all media for the sequence but it was all 1080p24 ProRes source material so i figured square pixels all around, lets give it a try and it worked. What bugs me is that there was no warning that there was a problem. I know Motion tells you right away when you give it media thats too large but it also scales it for you right away so there's no problem. I only found out after i reviewed my hour-long export, both in Compressor and FCP.

It just seems that video is a lot bigger than it used to be with the plethora of HD and the larger 4k/5k capabilities of RED, etc, that it might be time to increase the dimension limitations of the studio. Anyway, first time i ran intro problems so just throwing it out there to see if anyone else has had issues or comments
Re: Pixel size limitations
October 09, 2008 12:42PM
DV NTSC 4:3 - 1800x1350
DV NTSC 16:9 - 2132x1200

HD 720p - 3200x1800
HD 1080i - 4800x2700

These are Larry Jordan's pixel size limitation for stills that you are going to zoom.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics