Best place to upload a director's reel online?

Posted by Retro90 
Best place to upload a director's reel online?
October 11, 2008 12:41AM
I'm looking for the best place to upload (for free hopefully) a 300+meg Quicktime director's reel that people can access for viewing. Someplace where there's good quality, not compressed like utube, myspace, etc...
Re: Best place to upload a director's reel online?
October 11, 2008 12:53AM
Aie. You wouldn't want people to have to download a 300MB file just to see your reel. Ten to 30MB would be more reasonable. It doesn't matter how good the video quality is if it's going to demand that people wait 10 minutes while the file downloads. Compress that thing before you try to put it up.

If you're serious about this, you should build your own website.

www.derekmok.com
October 11, 2008 12:57AM
Thanks for the reply. I have a website (don't want it there) and I don't mind someone having to wait to see the reel. Where is a good place to upload as asked?
October 11, 2008 01:21AM
Render it out as an 1280x720 H.264 and upload it to Vimeo.com. Look in their HD FAQ for settings for this. You can password protect the video if you don't want EVERYONE to check out yer star wipes and starfield BGs from that thing you did in college that you mysteriously still keep on your reel.

If you just want to plop a file somewhere so they can get it and DL it to wherever for playing off their own hard drive , any of the Rapidshare or similar free file sites that are still staying afloat in the current downturn can do that.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
October 11, 2008 01:28AM
Thanks! Joining vimeo now...
October 11, 2008 11:48AM
There are places to upload to...but like Derek says...nobody is going to wait for a 300 MB download. Clients / employers give up pretty quickly if there are several Editors in the queue.

I would render the following:

* Half size (640 x 360)
* H.264
* Current Frame Rate
* Key Frames: Automatic
* Frame Reordering checked
* Restrict Data Rate: 2000 kbits
* Single Pass

You will get a much smaller size & more manageable file without giving up much clarity.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 11, 2008 12:56PM
I second Vimeo. It rocks.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
October 11, 2008 01:01PM
The BEST way to put up your reel is to encode it to Flash 8 or H.264, and put up a Flash based page on your own site. That way:

(1) You get total control of the way your video is displayed - you control quality/bandwidth.
(2) Virtually everyone can see your reel, even if they're on a PC.
(3) You are less likely to be filtered out by IT department protection systems.
(4) You can get statistics to see who and how many people have watched your reel.
(5) You control the page environment and player style.
(6) You get some control over search engine results.
(7) If you already have a website it's FREE!

Examples:
www.FilmVO.com
www.TrainingVO.com
High Quality HD: www.DocumentaryNarration.com

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
Anonymous User
October 12, 2008 01:55AM
you have some great advice in this thread. follow it and you'll get excellent results. even if a visitor has to wait over 1 minute for a video to load, they will move on. impatience is an internet standard.
October 12, 2008 10:34AM
Flash based web page? Well, that's the not so easy part. Recall that we're editors!

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
October 12, 2008 10:39AM
Yeah...I am not on board with anything FLASH-based. Our studio is reworking all of our websites to use the H.264 codec as the standard. Bye-bye FLASH video.

October 13, 2008 03:56PM
Thanks for the vimeo suggestion, just posted my reel:

October 16, 2008 03:58PM
grafixjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah...I am not on board with anything
> FLASH-based. Our studio is reworking all of our
> websites to use the H.264 codec as the standard.
> Bye-bye FLASH video.

there's a reason Youtube and many/most other video sharing sites use Flash video--the flash player is ubiquitous. Over 97% of net-connected computers worldwide have Flash player v.9 installed {[www.adobe.com]}. Quicktime, which is needed to play plain vanilla H264, has a much lower install rate, although that number has grown recently since being required in order to install itunes.

I 100% agree that H264 video looks a lot better than most flash video, but if a big % of your audience can't play it, what does it matter how it looks if they can't view it? I suppose there are certain audiences, esp. among creative pros, in which QT installs are higher than average, and if that's who you're catering to, you may be fine with H264. Flash video is currently the way to go for now, in my opinion, but I'm sure our options for web-delivered video will continue to evolve and the quality we can easily deliver will improve.
October 16, 2008 04:37PM
Good point, clay. Truth is...my audience can see the H.264s I post just fine...never had a "I can't open your movies" reply. Depends on your target demographic.

October 16, 2008 07:47PM
Exactly right, Joey. It all depends on your target audience. With one of our biggest clients, they're 100% Windows-based, and are in a very locked-down corporate environment. We can't expect them to have any variant of Quicktime installed, but they do have Flash. So it's definitely a trade-off.
October 17, 2008 04:03PM
My audience is more focused on quality rather than quantity...hence H.264.

October 17, 2008 04:34PM
i like the qt for quality i have not seen better on the web. However my site is 100% flash and everyone can see it. With On2 you can get some pretty nice flv files.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
October 17, 2008 05:00PM
* Half size (640 x 360)
* H.264
* Current Frame Rate
* Key Frames: Automatic
* Frame Reordering checked
* Restrict Data Rate: 2000 kbits
* Single Pass

There's that tutorial that Josh put up once- finding the sweet spot for web videos, so you can upload good quality vids at the lowest bit rate possible. Basically, you sample portions that would require the highest amount of bitrates (flashes, quick movements, etc..) run that through a few targeted bitrates, and eventually narrow it down to the lowest bitrate that can carry your video across.

Just curious, clay.. Flash 9 accepts h.264, doesn't that mean that you can upload h.264 onto flash players and guys don't need quicktime to play that back?

www.strypesinpost.com
October 17, 2008 05:35PM
strypes--I believe you're correct with your h264 in a Flash 9 wrapper. I'm stuck on Flash 8, so I haven't had the chance to investigate yet.

and J Corbett., I agree that On2 you can create some really nice-looking FLV's.
October 18, 2008 12:37PM
Here's something to try out.

[x264-quicktime-codec.en.softonic.com]

Wiki will mention more about this than I can for now...

[en.wikipedia.org]

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics