Hey Guys - Geno Andrews here - quick question about 1920x1080 vs 1888x1062

Posted by Geno Andrews 
Hey Guys - Geno Andrews here - quick question about 1920x1080 vs 1888x1062
October 13, 2008 05:34PM
I have the master HD output of my film at 1920x1080 based on the Quicktime GET INFO

I have another version of it that I created from the original file IN QUICK TIME (I had to kill an opening title) but this new version which looks identical to the original is 1880x1062 and is only 16 gigs as opposed to the original which is 69 gigs.

Is the Apple Codec Pro Res 422 just a massively less compressed file than the output to the new file? Apple HDV then in Parens it says 1440x1080

I'm trying to deliver the best movie to the distributor for the DVD authoring.

What's up with this discrepancy?

Thanks in advance and hello to all, Michael and everyone else!!!!

Geno
Re: Hey Guys - Geno Andrews here - quick question about 1920x1080 vs 1888x1062
October 14, 2008 12:03PM
Quicktime Player isnt always the most accurate for finding that sort of data, sometimes its just telling you the display size. Use clip properties in FCP for detailed and accurate data.

File size all depends on what codec you are using which from your post i cant tell anything significant, HD can be a lot of things but your not giving us enough details here. But in general, if you want the best quality, use ProRes HQ to make your DVD master from. However, make sure you go to ProRes from the timeline for the best quality, not an external QT movie.

Also, make sure you do your own MPEG compression so you can see what you have before you hand off to someone else. Never trust your final output on someone else. Who knows what will happen.
October 14, 2008 12:44PM
Excellent comments.

If I'm handing over all the assets to the DVD author, don't I want to give him all the elements as beautiful and uncompressed as possible so he can fit it all on the DVD?

And if I go back to my timeline and output my movie as ProRes HQ 23.97 1920x1080 - should that be the best file format I can give him? Won't it be huge? WOn't he need to recompress for the DVD? Do I need to tell him what to do from there or do I just trust he'll do it right?

Any advice on how much you do yourself, versus what you allow the DVD authoring person to do would be helpful.

Thanks.

g-
October 14, 2008 01:47PM
Technically the DVD author is just authoring the DVD with the assets you gave him. So you can either give him the already compressed M2V files or allow him to compress himself. Whichever way you pick depends upon what type of disc you are creating, if he needs the flexibility in file size for what he's creating. If it's a straight linear film, go ahead and compress it yourself with Compressor's settings.

You want to compress for DVD from the best quality master you can, ProRes HQ is a great codec for that. Make your master and then drop that into Compressor and select a preset that matches your source, i.e DVD Best Quality 120minutes works just fine for a 2hr film. If its shorter, choose 90mins to get better quality.
October 16, 2008 10:02AM
>Any advice on how much you do yourself, versus what you allow the DVD authoring
>person to do would be helpful.

It depends on what he's using for the compression, compared to what you are using for the compression.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics