Why no Blu-Ray

Posted by Dean 
Why no Blu-Ray
October 15, 2008 03:17PM
This could be why you may or may not see Blu-Ray in Macs.

Jobs: ?Blu-ray is a bag of hurt?

[www.macworld.com]

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Re: Why no Blu-Ray
October 15, 2008 03:49PM
There's definitely a growing necessity for blu-ray authoring capabilities to be included in FCS.

Otherwise, guys will start using Encore and Toast 9... Oops... Aren't they already? drinking smiley

www.strypesinpost.com
Anonymous User
October 16, 2008 06:40AM
at the earliest I see bluray officially supported (on any level) by apple in April/final cut studio 3. They're not in a hurry to take this step. Right now I'm using toast 9 with an external LG Ggw burner via USB that I build. It runs great on the mac pro.
October 16, 2008 10:02AM
I have read quite a few posts with people reporting problems burning Blu-ray using Toast 9, burn failures with an error message close to completion producing coasters. I'm guessing you've not had this experience. Anything you can add about burn performance and the media you're using.

Thanks.
October 16, 2008 01:53PM
Toast 9.0.2 , TDK BD-R inkjet printable , VERBATIM BD-RE , Burner Panasonic SW-5582.
Mac OS X 10.5.5 , QT 7.5.5 , FCS 2 , Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Ghz 4 Gb and no coaster since february 2008.

PRODUCTION D. GOYETTE
TOURNAGE / MONTAGE VIDÉO CORPORATIF
DISTRIBUTION DVD / BLU-RAY / WEB
[www.productiondgoyette.com]
October 16, 2008 02:04PM
Interesting. I haven't yet worked with Blu-Ray encoding...

What's your workflow like for that? Do you normally do 1920x1080 H.264 encodes? Or do you compress it to mpeg2 in Compressor?

www.strypesinpost.com
October 16, 2008 09:06PM
Want my opinion? I think S Jobs is a " Bag of Hurt" since he only wants consumers to rent videos from iTunes.

What does he really care about making Final Cut Studio GREAT?
October 16, 2008 09:15PM
He cares about selling his products, software and hardware. He'll do whatever he can to make them appealing to customers weighed against the cost of doing it. Really no different from any other business. Does he want to make a piece of software great? Sure, if it's cost effective. If it's going to cost $20 million to hire the people and do the R&D and buy the licensing needed, probably not. Unless he thinks he can make a profit on it and/or it will sell a lot more computers.
October 16, 2008 11:49PM
He make a huge profit on iPhones, iPods and iTunes.
October 17, 2008 12:18AM
The licensing issues with Blu-ray are a huge issue for everyone except the movie studios, for which the outrageous fees are just a small part of their large budgets. Apple and Sony don't get along that well anyways, but this problem is all in Sony's court, not Apple's.
October 17, 2008 12:45AM
I do my editing in Final Cut Studio and send the final production to Compressor using MPEG 2 HD
at 1920 X 1080 then drop it in Toast 9.0.2 using the Blu-Ray function with his rather limited menu creation options.

PRODUCTION D. GOYETTE
TOURNAGE / MONTAGE VIDÉO CORPORATIF
DISTRIBUTION DVD / BLU-RAY / WEB
[www.productiondgoyette.com]
October 17, 2008 09:00AM
Whoever's court this is in will only cause Final Cut Pro to diminish in value when others ARE using a product to author BluRay.

The licensing issues are a SONY problem as always they are the invented/notinvented here.
October 18, 2008 02:03AM
I'm with John Foley 100% on this.

Jobs is indeed the "bag of hurt" here.
October 18, 2008 11:52AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics