OT: Apple drops firewire support

Posted by nicknasty 
OT: Apple drops firewire support
October 17, 2008 08:27AM
Got a nice camera, some external HDs, I/O hardware, maybe one of those fancy Firestores etc?? Then get ready to toss them all:

[mac360.com]

[blogs.zdnet.com]

Yeah. It is going to happen a lot sooner than we would like to. Sign the petition here:

[www.petitiononline.com]
Re: OT: Apple drops firewire support
October 17, 2008 09:03AM
Have we been lied to all along that Firewire is faster and better than USB-2?
October 17, 2008 10:53AM
I don't see any reason why Apple would discontinue FW except for the mass/consumer market. Why should any iWhatever have a FireWire connection? Maybe an iWhateverPro - but where is the market for that?
FireWire is expensive: look at the external drives which got FW (and USB normally) compared to the same modell which only comes with USB - the FW version doesn't have that market.
The arguments are a bit "PC-User-Like" - get everything for nothing in a form factor which will fit in my pocket and has water cooling and light effects.
You can still buy a MacXYZPro and get FireWire included - unfortunately always only one bus. FW800 to FW400 cables are not that expensive and are around since FW800 came up.

There is an old saying from a friend of mine in Texas "USB is for mice, FireWire is for men" - I think that's still true and Apple knows that.

my 2 cents

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
October 17, 2008 07:26PM
They got mice in Texas Andreas? Must be big mice thumbs down

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 18, 2008 08:06AM
I don't believe it either. even though esata connections are becoming more of the standard for hdd there are still quite a lot of newly manufactured fw drives.
And unless apple is intending to phase out FCS or have all of the camera companies change their connections then i think that fw is here for at least another 5years.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
October 23, 2008 03:57PM
iPods are not high performance devices. They don´t need a FW port.
When eSata (or whatever) becomes cheaper, I imagine we´ll see it reflected in all the markets.

About the MacBook, take a look at the MacBook Air, (or whatever that useless piece of fashion is called) and its clear that they are marketing to a different kind of consumer.
Consumers who have no idea how to use a computer, or Windows users that are tired of their computer breaking down, and could care a less about Firewire.

I personally have issues with FW harddrives, and I´ll be swapping to SATA as soon as I can get the correct parts together.
But hey! FW works FANTASTIC for audio!
My two cents....

Treatment
October 23, 2008 06:29PM
i am running both fw and esata. i dont do much hd but i can only detect about a 5% difference in the 2. If you were doin HD tho i would say esata or fiberO is the best route.

treat
take a look at the MacBook Air, (or whatever that useless piece of fashion is called)

i couldn't have said it better. its a yuppie piece of fashion for very lo-end users.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
October 23, 2008 06:50PM
They drop firewire from the MacBooks, and they they cost MORE than the last one! What is up with that?!?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics