audio mixing

Posted by gmc205 
Re: audio mixing
October 20, 2008 02:15PM
> Under-promise / over-deliver

It's not just good marketing, but also responsible planning. I can't tell you how good it looked to the agency and the production company when they planned for a week in editing and we were done in a day and a half, plus another half day of tweaks. But you can't expect that to happen all the time (I always tell the painful story of 24 versions of a 30-second spot by an agency that had really wanted to cut it themselves using iMovie). Even if you overachieve on a regular basis, you still have to budget for "normal" performance. Otherwise people start having unreasonable expectations, 30-minute turnarounds, that kind of thing. It's like punishing the editor(s) for being fast and good.

Also, I've always sensed a voodoo element in editing. If you're prepared for a disaster, it won't happen. If you're not, it'll happen, and it'll bring friends and relatives and move into your house.

www.derekmok.com
Re: audio mixing
October 21, 2008 03:38AM
>Otherwise people start having unreasonable expectations, 30-minute turnarounds, that
>kind of thing. It's like punishing the editor(s) for being fast and good.

It happens around here, with exceptionally fast turnaround times... I keep an eye out on how fast the average guy around me edits, the average budget for post time (which can be painfully short), and based on that alone, i usually over deliver. It's good to know how the setup works to avoid painfully long troubleshooting times (and to pre-anticipate issues that can occur). But to put it honestly, I also end up trimming down depending on the amount of time I am allocated, eg. On some of those projects, I avoid secondary CC where I can, I run the dialogue mix through a compressor and limiter to rough out the peaks, etc...

It does pay to know what you can and can't get away with (although frankly, I hate being able to get away with anything, but that keeps me in the run for jobs).

With cheap NLEs proliferating the market, this has also become a world of presets- guys just drag and drop everything from mpeg4 to mp3s on the timeline, some are smart enough to convert everything to DV, media management is a thing of the past sometimes, and there are guys who don't CC at all (they probably think scopes are used for stargazing)..

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics