Recovered FCP files won't associate with FCP
October 31, 2008 01:35PM
Looking for some help/suggestions for a 1TB LaCie Big Disk Extreme + gone bad. All of my FCP projects are archived (media manager "copy"winking smiley onto an external LaCie hard drive. The other day while doing some archiving the directory on the hard drive went corrupt and my mac was unable to read the hard drive. I took the drive in to have the files recovered which appears to have worked, but all of the quicktime files are not recognized by FCP and the FCP project files themselves are not recognized by FCP. Has anyone run into this issue before? Is there anything I can do to get FCP to recognize these files? I've got about a year's worth of work that could be potentially lost which would obviously be devastating. Any help would be much appreciated!

Matt

Stats:
Recently upgraded to OS X 10.5.5 and Final Cut Studio 2
Most of the archived projects were created in FCP 5 & Tiger
Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5
6 GB of Ram
Kona 2 video cards
Re: Recovered FCP files won't associate with FCP
October 31, 2008 02:08PM
> Looking for some help/suggestions for a 1TB LaCie Big Disk Extreme + gone bad.

Sorry to hear that. This is why many of us are dead-set against using Lacies.

> The other day while doing some archiving the directory on the hard drive went corrupt and my
> mac was unable to read the hard drive.

Did you try Disk Warrior before you took the drive to data recovery? I'm wondering whether you jumped the gun.

Try adding the extension .fcp to the project files. But I'm thinking a better way to go is to go back to your archives. If you didn't have a manual backup system (bad, bad, bad), try the Autosave Vault.

Read these:

[www.lafcpug.org]
[www.lafcpug.org]
[www.lafcpug.org]

www.derekmok.com
Re: Recovered FCP files won't associate with FCP
October 31, 2008 02:44PM
I'm not sure if Disk Warrior was used but a program of that nature was used first and did not work. A deeper recovery (bit by bit) was used to get to the point I'm at now. An odd thing did occur however, twice as much data was recovered than what was on the drive and I only have the portion that was thought to be the original directory. All of the files seem to be there, after adding a .mov to the quicktime files they will open in QT but not FCP. The project files already have a .fcp but will not open in final cut.

I did try opening the last autosave file (wasn't on the corrupt drive) but FCP won't reconnect the recovered Quicktime & PSD files. I'm thinking that the recovered files I don't have may be the missing link in order for FCP to associate with them?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics