Can't copy Apple Pro Training Series Lesson/Media Files to MacBook Pro Hard drive

Posted by shelleyrae 
Can't copy Apple Pro Training Series Lesson/Media Files to MacBook Pro Hard drive
November 10, 2008 01:02PM
Hi,

I just bought four brand new Apple Pro Training Series Books. I am trying to load the media files onto my brand new MacBook Pro, OS 10.5.5. None of the four DVD Lesson/Media files will copy to my hard drive. I get an error messages" The task cannot be completed because some of the data in "Lesson_05" cannot be read or written. Error code -36).

I contacted tech support at Peachpit Press and they sent me to this link [support.apple.com]. I followed the instructions exactly and I still get the same error -36 message.

I still am running Tiger OS on my Mac Pro desktop and have successfully loaded the media files and lessons to my hard drive on my Mac Pro desktop.

It seems these Lesson files from the Apple Pro Training series are not compatible with Leopard. I cannot find any support anywhere to resolve this problem. I now have over $200 invested in training materials that I cannot use on my laptop.

My questions are:

1) Has anybody else experienced this?
2) Where else can I go for help resolving this issue?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Can't copy Apple Pro Training Series Lesson/Media Files to MacBook Pro Hard drive
November 10, 2008 01:04PM
Sounds like you've got a faulty optical drive in your laptop. That happens sometimes. Try taking it to the Apple Store and seeing what they say. If your laptop is, as you say, brand new, odds are overwhelming that they'll just hand you a new one to replace it.

Re: Can't copy Apple Pro Training Series Lesson/Media Files to MacBook Pro Hard drive
November 10, 2008 01:05PM
I don't have a lot of experience with Leopard or the latest Peachpit Press materials, but it seems to me at the very least you should be able to copy the media files over and work with them. Try selecting only those, or copy the files one at a time. It makes no sense to me that compatibility issues should mess with something as elementary as copying files.

www.derekmok.com
tc
November 10, 2008 01:40PM
Hey there.

You could try putting the laptop in target mode and copy the files via firewire from your MacPro desktop to see if those files work.

tc
November 10, 2008 01:42PM
Or for that matter, just copy the files from the Mac Pro to the laptop over Ethernet. Good thinking.

I have many books from Peachpit and have never had problems copying over files. Jeff is probably right, have your laptop checked.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
November 10, 2008 02:40PM
Yeah, I don't know what's harder to believe. That my two day old MacBook Pro that was finally replaced after months of unresolved issues has been replaced with another dysfunctional computer or that media files from three brand new Apple Pro Training Series books could all be corrupt.

I also have several Apple Pro Training books from Peachpit and never had problems before so it must be another bum Mac.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
November 10, 2008 07:28PM
Before you condemn your beautiful Mac Pro, have you tested any other disks in the drive? I am a bit shocked nobody even suggested this. If 10 different kinds of disks fail, then I would suspect the drive. If it's just the Peachpit Press disks, I would get them replaced if they are new. It is possible you could have gotten a bad batch of burns from the manufacturer. Have you tried those disks in someone else's computer?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 10, 2008 08:45PM
Yes, Joey. The media files copy over fine on my beautiful Mac Pro Desk top hard drive. I'm only having a problem copying the files to the hard drive on my brand new beautiful MacBook Pro laptop.

I performed a hardware test on the laptop and no problems were detected. Do you know if the hardware test check the optical drive?

I'm having a hard time believing that the optical drive could be the problem since it is a brand new computer.

I do have an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar tomorrow and will bring the laptop and all the new media discs. Maybe they can figure it out. I'm stumped, myself.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
November 10, 2008 08:55PM
> I'm having a hard time believing that the optical drive could be the problem since it is a brand
> new computer.

Sure. Manufacturing defects, and also the fact that laptops by definition get bumped around.

I'd do three things. One, use the MacPro desktop to copy the files and then transfer the files to the laptop with an external FireWire or USB drive. That means you don't have to wait for the laptop to access the files. (Or, alternately, just use the external drive to do the exercises from.) Two, burn a data DVD on the MacBook Pro, see if it works. Three, put a data DVD into the MacBook Pro (not the one burned from it), try copying the files, see if that works.

www.derekmok.com
November 10, 2008 10:29PM
Did you try other disks in the MBP? Nothing works in the drive?

This happened with the peachpitt media disk that came with FCP6 Beyond The Basics. In fact it happened to a student of mine with the Weynand book about a fortnight ago too.

Peachpitt sent me another copy in the end, but it was a long wait. As i recall, the workaround's suggested above did not solve the problem.

Joey is right. Check another disk, because in my experience the APTS disks are sometimes faulty.
November 11, 2008 10:53AM
I tested several DVDs and good news, bad news. The good news is that it turns out that is was NOT my beautiful brand MacBook Pro. The bad news is that FOUR brand new Peachpit/Apple Pro Training books that I ordered from Amazon all had faulty discs. Amazon is sending replacements but now I'm thinking what if all the ones they have in stock are faulty? I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they send me.

I've have several Peachpit training books and never had a problem until recently. Can't believe four different training books would ALL have messed up discs.

Well at least it's not my computer, this time.

BTW -- I tried the "work around" for the Error -36 and it didn't work for me neither.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
November 11, 2008 10:55AM
I'm confused, Shelley. You said you were able to copy the discs onto your Mac Pro. Are you saying that you couldn't then copy the files from the Mac Pro to your laptop?

That makes me suspect something other than the discs.

November 11, 2008 11:09AM
> I tried the "work around" for the Error -36 and it didn't work for me neither.

Which workaround?
I'm with Jeff H. If you couldn't use an external drive to get the files from the MacPro to the MacBook Pro, then there's probably some setting, corruption or other problem on the MacBook Pro. For example, is your drive so full it can't fit the files? Do you actually have sufficient user permission to copy the files?

Normally scenarios like those shouldn't give "Error -36". But they need to be checked.

To me, the fact that the MacPro could copy the files actually makes defective DVDs an unlikely (but not impossible) cause for the problems.

www.derekmok.com
November 11, 2008 11:10AM
I had four discs I was working with. I thought the one disc I successfully copied to my desktop "Beyond the Basics" could not be copied to my laptop. But I had a different disc in my laptop. When I realized that I tried again to copy "Beyond the Basics" to my laptop and it was successful.
So "Beyond the Basics" was not corrupt.

The other three discs "The Craft of Editing," "Motion Graphics in FC6" and "Encyclopedia of Visual Effects" did not copy on either computer.

I just talked to Customer Service at Peachpit. They admitted having problems with some of the media discs and are sending replacements.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
November 11, 2008 11:20AM

I just talked to Customer Service at Peachpit. They admitted having problems with some of the media discs and are sending replacements.

Before condemning any hardware it is always smart to test it as much as possible. I knew the disks were bad.

November 11, 2008 11:27AM
> So "Beyond the Basics" was not corrupt.
> The other three discs "The Craft of Editing," "Motion Graphics in FC6" and "Encyclopedia of Visual
> Effects" did not copy on either computer.

Ah-ha! Here's a tip, Shelley...this would have been useful information for us from the beginning! Because you said this:

> None of the four DVD Lesson/Media files will copy to my hard drive.

Troubleshooting is about establishing constants and eliminating variables. Remember to be specific and methodical.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics