Slide-to-playhead?

Posted by Jeff Harrell 
Slide-to-playhead?
November 12, 2008 02:41PM
As y'all probably know, you can select an edit, then hit "e" to roll that edit point to the playhead position. But does anybody know if there's an equivalent hotkey to slide the selected clip's in point to the playhead position?

(I've been doing a lot of rearranging of b-roll clips on my timeline lately.)

Re: Slide-to-playhead?
November 12, 2008 08:42PM
There'e no ripple extend edit that as far as I know Jeff ... but not sure if thats what you mean? Do you want to move a selected clip so that its In point lies at the playhead? If so, how about Cmd-X, Cmd-V? Or is "slide" the key word ?
November 12, 2008 08:50PM
I wasn't exactly talking about a ripple extend edit, though I can definitely see where that would be handy as well.

The exact situation that inspired me to ask went like this: I went through some b-roll footage, setting ins and outs and insert-editing them way down at the far end of my timeline. After a while, I had a collection of a few dozen short shots that I could use for cutaways and whatnot.

First I would find a place in my show where I wanted to cut away to b-roll. At that point, my play head was on the frame where I wanted to cut away. What I wanted was to be able to select a clip from my b-roll pool at the end of my timeline with the mouse, then hit a hot key that would move that clip such that its in point aligned with my playhead position.

Instead, what I ended up doing was double-clicking the clip in question to load it into the viewer, F10 to overwrite it at the playhead position (giving me two copies of the clip on my timeline), then clicking the instance way down at the end of my timeline again so I could do a lift-delete.

I would have preferred to just move each clip as I went, rather than loading it, overwrite-editing it then lift-deleting it, but I couldn't figure out how to do that without having to do a lot of dragging. I found, since I had quite a bit of this to do today, that the load/overwrite/lift method was better for me.

I have to confession that it simply never occurred to me to cut-and-paste them. Somehow I've never gotten into the habit of using the clipboard in Final Cut. I'm not in front of my system right now, but I'm gonna give it a try in the morning to see if that works for me. Thanks for a suggestion that in retrospect seems blindingly obvious. winking smiley

November 12, 2008 09:44PM
If you already have the clip selected and the playhead positioned, then I think the fastest way would just be to CONTROL-V (Razor All -- but only does it to selected clip as long as that track has the Auto-Select button on), then just press Delete. Slide wouldn't do it here.

Interesting, Jeff...here it's like you're thinking like an Avid editor -- I do almost all this stuff in the timeline with Cut/Copy/Paste and drag operations. Even when there are times when it takes more operations than the Viewer, it's faster because you don't have to think about what you're doing and can do it intuitively.

www.derekmok.com
November 13, 2008 05:56AM
Yeah, Derek, I freely admit to being a weirdo when it comes to operating Final Cut. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this, but just to name an example ? I don't think I ever drag clips from browser or viewer to timeline. I always use the F-keys to edit clips in from the viewer. Dunno why. It was never a conscious decision or anything. It's just how I ended up working.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I'm gonna try a couple things this morning when I get in and see what works for me.

November 13, 2008 06:19PM
Perhaps I'm missing the point but you could select your clip and move the playhead to the desired location and type command-x, command-v.
November 13, 2008 08:16PM
Andy Mees Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There'e no ripple extend edit that as far as I
> know Jeff ... but not sure if thats what you mean?
> Do you want to move a selected clip so that its
> In point lies at the playhead? If so, how about
> Cmd-X, Cmd-V? Or is "slide" the key word ?

I don't think he means "slide", he means move ala a copy/paste function of some kind. There are a number of varieties of copy/paste.

CMD-X + CMD-V Works OK. But, it is a LIFT edit and leaves a gap at the end of Jeff's Timeline (not tidy!), and an OVERWRITE edit, which sounds like it would work just fine for replacing footage at the playhead. Beware of overwriting other clips if the pasted clip is longer than the original. This is why I often paste footage into V2 for certain kinds of jobs.

I prefer to select the clip, type SHIFT-X which is called a Ripple Cut, which acts like an EXTRACT or RIPPLE DELETE edit, which closes the gap with the bonus of copying your clip to the clipboard. Then, I use SHIFT-V which is called a Paste Insert and acts like an INSERT edit or CMD-V to Overwrite B-Roll onto V2.

Hope that helps.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics