HDV to SD DVD conversion

Posted by BeyondFilm 
HDV to SD DVD conversion
November 13, 2008 12:46PM
Hello again,
I also have a question about making a SD viewing DVD for clients from HDV 1080i footage.

I shot with a Sony HVR-V1U camera at 1080i without using the "Progressive" setting. Once I had my selects in a FCP timeline, I added the time code reader filter and set the "distortion" to -33 under the Motion tab in order for the 16x9 image to display properly on a standard 4x3 monitor.

I then exported the movie to DV format using QT conversion and brought the movie into DVD studio pro. The final dvd is way soft in image quality. so I went back again and selected "deinterlace" in the QT export settings but then the final dvd came out soft and jittery.
(there are actually 2 placed in the QT conversion settings that deal with frame ordering. The first is under the QT conversion "Settings" tab and the second place is under the "Size" tab.

Can someone shed some light on the proper settings for a SD DVD to occour?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Re: HDV to SD DVD conversion
November 13, 2008 12:56PM
> I added the time code reader filter

Why not tell them it's offline quality. Haven't they heard of good ol' 5:1? smiling smiley

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.strypesinpost.com
November 13, 2008 01:07PM
Don't use QT Conversion first off, use Compressor.

You need to resize your media properly and need to stay in high quality codecs. HDV is crap for text and so is DV. Then your taking this crap files and compressing to MPEG 2 which is even worse and wondering why its soft? This is what ProRes was made for

Again, i did a write up on this with a bent on compressing for web but the principles still stand for DVD. Resize your media for your destination size and always stay in a HQ codec until you change for delivery. Then you'll get the quality you're looking for.

Although that said, I wouldn't go through this much trouble for a client preview personally. But if you want it sharp and clean, this is the way to go.
November 16, 2008 10:27PM
Here is THE link for you.

[www.kenstone.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics