OT: RED Epic and Scarlet

Posted by Eric Harnden 
Re: OT: RED Epic and Scarlet
November 14, 2008 01:05PM
Hi Graeme and Jeff:

I did not experience rolling shutter artifacts on the single RED One shoot that I have shot, the camera was on sticks for the whole shoot with no radical movement. I, however, have experienced both JelloCam and skewing on many shoots with the EX1. I have heard that the inexpensive Sonys (EX1 and EX3) have much worse manifestation of these distortions than the RED One does.

But isn't it true that if a global shutter were implemented, these effects would not be present? I was wondering if the RED team has considered, then disregarded implementing a global shutter into the new cameras?

Shooting most types of sporting or action events with the EX1 is very difficult since I am often using long lens lengths and variable frame rates, especially 48 and 60fps shots where the skewing and Jell become very apparent to even regular consumers, I have been asked twice by totally untechnical, average viewers, "how come the picture is leaning on that shot?"

I shoot EPK and BTS on shows that often have police and fire vehicles with flashing red lights and of course, try to go shoot a red carpet movie opening with a CMOS camera with rolling shutter artifacts. The rolling shutter artifacts are noticeable and ugly. The effects do not manifest themselves in many situations, but it seems that unfortunately I am one the of types of shooters where many of the situations I must shoot in do bring out these picture defects.

I do realize that the RED cameras are not intended to be video cameras and are probably not well suited to EPK type of production anyway but I was just curious.

Thanks,

Dan
November 14, 2008 10:31PM
Sorry I took a while to get onto this mammoth thread. I haven't worked with RED yet. I hope to, but I am expecting the train to pick up with Scarlet.

This extract from Wiki reminds me of that footage that Ben brought up. A current issue with the CMOs chips?

Also, in some shots with heavily overexposed highlights (often seen when the camera is pointed into the sun, for example), the brightest parts of highlights are rendered as purple or gray (one would expect them to be white).

[en.wikipedia.org]

As for Proxies. There was a mention that it's better to work with the ProRes down convert than the proxies, as you can't CC directly on the proxies... Is that true?

www.strypesinpost.com
November 15, 2008 03:13AM
Global shutters on CMOS would mean, among other things, and so I'm told as I'm no sensor guru, lower dynamic range.

Graeme
November 15, 2008 06:03PM
The new cameras are all about image quality across motion and stills, and very high megapixels per second. The sensor sizes are what they are, to fit different lens sizes. "wasted" pixels can be cropped and not recorded, and used as "look around" while shooting movies. Or anamorphic lenses like different aspect ratio than if you're shooting flat - things like that. Large high resolution sensors give you immense flexibility.

Graeme
November 16, 2008 05:03PM

Large high resolution sensors give you immense flexibility

So true - an once you have that amount of detail to play with, messing around in post with image size and aspect is going to be nigh on unnoticeable!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics