Capture discrepancy with 720p ProRes and Cinema Tools

Posted by JoeE 
Capture discrepancy with 720p ProRes and Cinema Tools
November 17, 2008 01:49PM
We're three days into dailies and we noticed that our capture is 1 frame off from the cinema tools database and the ale file. The lab is capturing (using a Kona 3) in NYC and has tried everything they can to make any 720p codec (sq hq, dvcprohd) work and they are all 1 frame off. All the 1080 codecs work fine. Is this a known Final Cut Pro software problem? Thanks in advance for your help.
Re: Capture discrepancy with 720p ProRes and Cinema Tools
November 17, 2008 03:17PM
In my experience many TKs are often a frame out - it depends on the make/model of the TK suite and the format you are going to.

They hardly ever tell you this it seems...

For example the last 5 TKs I've had have been +/- 1 frame out.

All from different TK suites/companies. All big companies too!

I've never looked into it as to why - I just work round it. Maybe someone will chip in an give us a good reason!

I have a sneaky feeling it might be the TK suites without KeyKode (or Keycode) readers, but I am only guessing...

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
November 17, 2008 07:44PM
What's "TK." Sorry for being dumb. With going back and cutting negative, we have always been dead on frame with telecine databases. It's broken somewhere between Cinema Tools importing the ALE and capturing. Can't figure it out. We are going to have to go to 1080, which is going to cost us more money than we were supposed to spend on drives and some other problems...
November 17, 2008 07:46PM
TK - Telecine

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics