Tascam Fireone in FCP 6.0.3

Posted by jeremyh39 
Tascam Fireone in FCP 6.0.3
November 23, 2008 05:02PM
Hello Everyone,

I just got my self a Tascam Fireone which does a great job as a sound card.
I edit on an Imac 3,06, OS 10.5.5, and FCP 6.0.3.
Two 1To external FW800 drives are chained (the last one being the working data, the first one being the time machine). At the end of the chain is my sony PD100 connected through FW400.
The Tascam Fireone is connected behind the imac in FW400.
The microphone is linked through XLR in the Fireone and the audio monitoring (two Yamaha SP5) is connected behind the Fireone.
I can't figure out why the shuttle jog and buttons don't work.
Actually they did for 5 minutes, not at the beginning, just like that once, suddenly and it went away.
The voice over tool also became unstable since I installed the Tascam software: the recording does not appear anymore on a new track after the end of the recording.
Anyone who owns this equipment and has a solution?
I suppose there might be some firewire conflict or sound plug-in conflict.

Thanks very much in advance for any kind of help.

Jeremy
Re: Tascam Fireone in FCP 6.0.3
November 23, 2008 09:54PM
Hi Jeremy,

The firewire 800 & the Firewire 400 are all on one bus. Try disconnecting one of your firewire devices & see if it will work. Also keep in mind that the Fireone needs to be turned on before booting FCP or Soundtrack Pro.

I am able to run both the Fireone & my Tascam 1084 both at the same time with 2 external firewire 400 drives plugged into a iMac with no trouble.

Let me know how you make out.

All the best.
Dave
Re: Tascam Fireone in FCP 6.0.3
November 24, 2008 02:00AM
Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for your answer.
Indeed I tried disconnecting the other firewire devices, leaving only the Fireone. Still no changes.
I tried with and with out the power supply. No changes.
If I use garage band, the different buttons (play, stop, F1 to F8) will act as a keyboard.

Any other guess..... smiling smiley

Could you tell me how you set the control surfaces in your FCP?

Thanks

Jeremy
Definetely a firewire conflict
November 24, 2008 06:19AM
Well it's getting worse.

Suddenly the simple fact of moving inside the timeline produces the color spinning wheel.
I set up the local drive as the date drive. The probleme stopped.
I set it back to my FW800 external drive. The probleme started again.
Of course, I rebooted my Imac each time.
After that I unplugged the Fireone, and all is back to normal.

Do I have to sell this Fireone if it is the source of all problems?

Thanks in advance (I'd rather find a solution).

Jeremy
More weird
November 24, 2008 07:40AM
Seems I'm gonna be posting...

Well I solved one of the conflict.
If I connect the Fireone behind the mac and the external HD in FW800 behind the Imac, FCP is spinning his wheel.
If I connect the Fireone behind the Ext HD (the hardrive has 2 FW800 and one FW400).... no more spinning wheel.

Well
Not yet solved.
The sound does not come in or out anymore in Final Cut Pro where it does well in Logic Pro.

So now I can work but not listen on the monitor speakers neither record my voice over (which was the main reason for to invest in this Fireone).

Any clues?

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy
Re: More weird
November 24, 2008 01:21PM
Hi Jeremy,

The Fireone needs to be directly connected to a firewire port on your mac not daisy chained through an external firewire drive. V. 1.0 is the latest firmware for the Mac. If you can't locate your disc with the software, I suggest you go to Tascam's site & download 7 reinstall the software.

Once the software is installed, go to the Tools menu in FCP & select Control Surfaces. Click the + button mid screen on the right hand side of the window that pops up, choose Fireone & you should be good to go.

Dave
November 24, 2008 01:24PM
Tascam's url for firmware.

[www.tascam.com]
November 24, 2008 01:31PM
Also make sure that the mixer window is open in FCP or the fireone wont be activated.

Dave
November 24, 2008 04:01PM
You're my saviour !

The MIXER WINDOW !!!!!!!!!

Indeed the fireone works only with this open.

I had installed the Tascam website last version of the software from the beginning.

Now I have to just figure out the problems of firewire conflicts since I had the same problem with the Fireone connected in direct behind the Imac.

I'll keep you posted but you took a big needle out of my foot.

Many thanks !!

Jeezzzzzz the mixer window ........

Cheers

Jeremy
November 24, 2008 07:05PM
Hi Jeremy,

As the Firewire 800 input & the Firewire 400 are on the same bus, the 800 drives must slow down to Firewire 400 speed, but that shouldn't result in the beachball unless you have HDV footage or AVCHD footage in which case you should have the drives in a raid configuration.

The Fireone is a great little unit. I've used it in combination with Soundtrack Pro as a location recorder. It doesn't need the mains power supply as it can simply be powered by the firewire connection to the Mac. The fact that it has phantom power separately controlled on each input in addition to 20 db pads on each channel as well as separate headphone jacks for the sound recordist & the boom operator is helpful, great led meters large jog wheel & 8 function keys that can be used in FCP & Soundtrack Pro make it quite a useful device at a very reasonable price.

Cheers
Dave
January 14, 2009 08:40PM
Would you happen to know of any other necessary configurations specifically applied to the LED under the jog wheel?

I can't seem to get the LED's to work. I assume the functionality is adjusted in the Fireone Setup app.... in which the protocol is set to native and the DISPLAY MODE at follow. Iv tried a few others: metronome, on, slow rate, etc. but it doesn't seem to light up at all.
January 14, 2009 09:33PM
I leave mine on Slow Rotate as this light serves on purpose as far as I can tell. Have you downloaded the latest firmware Ver. 1.0.4. Maybe if you do a re-instal of the software it will function.

Let us know how you make out.

Dave
January 14, 2009 09:56PM
where can i find it... apples software update doesn't recognize anything and I don't see it on the Tascam site.
January 15, 2009 02:13AM
Here:

[www.tascam.com]

Dave
January 15, 2009 04:04AM
Im sorry.... I have a mac and still can't find the firmware update. What see in resources under firmware is only the first version control panel, and then for windows drivers.

And just curious... does your fireone ever spontaneously disconnect?? Mine will after a few minutes of use in fcp.
January 15, 2009 08:50PM
Try reinstalling the firmware that Tascam has on that page. It sounds like you have corrupt firware install or a bad Firewire connection.

No neither my FireOne or my 1082 Tascam control surfaces disconnect at any time from FCP or STP. Hopefully the new software install will correct your problem, otherwise try another firewire cable.
Allt he best.
Dave
January 16, 2009 03:55AM
I did as you said and it worked for about an hour before it quit again. In frustration, i decided to just monitor my audio (its been doing that all day seamlessly with iTunes) and disconnect it from fcp so that I can get todays editing done. But this too worked for only an hour before disconnecting.

Sorry about all this back and forth, but I think its time to exchange it for a new one (if supplier will allow) and hope the hardware was the problem. As far as I know, the jog wheel light doesn't even work. Thanks again.
January 16, 2009 04:38AM
actually one last question.... what are you running?

because i read in another forum that another issue was Tiger based. Im using the Fireone with my desktop running Tiger, which makes me wonder if I would have the same problem on my Leopard MBpro. Just a thought.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics