Rubbish Audio correction??

Posted by Phil UK 
Rubbish Audio correction??
December 01, 2008 11:43AM
This is bog standard stuff and sound men still make mistakes on audio levels. This is an interview shot on HDV and the first few minutes are over recorded (peaking at 0 db) then the soundman corrects the levels to -20 db. Is there any kind of audio filter that can soften the blow as the audio clips and crackles. My hopes are not high but thanks anyway. Cheers Phil UK
Re: Rubbish Audio correction??
December 01, 2008 12:21PM
ive found that any of the software for fixing that kind of damage does almost as much harm as good. in my experience the best thing you can do is EQ it to minimize the pain
December 01, 2008 01:11PM
If you know someone with Pro Tools you can send them a sample and let them try "Bomb Factory Essentials Clip Remover" filter. It has been part of the free software included with Pro Tools software for the last several years. Not sure if there is a similar Logic/Soundtrack Pro filter. We had a problem a couple of years ago with sound that was recorded in camera with the line/mic switch set to mic when the audio guy was feeding it line from a field mixer. We sent it to a Pro Tools guy and he was able to make it passable, not perfect, but he saved it.
December 01, 2008 02:43PM
If you only got 2 minutes it is feasible to try to fix it "manually" in Soundtrack. I've had a lot of success fixing clicks and pops just by selecting the spikes and lowering the amplitude on problematic parts.
Anonymous User
December 01, 2008 06:45PM
if i remember correctly, sony sound forge (windows) can ease the distortion. i forget what it's called but you can manually "draw" and modify/reshape the sound waves. other than working with that 2 years ago or so, i don't know any other solution.
December 02, 2008 04:59AM
Thank you boys.
December 02, 2008 04:42PM
macapptraining Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if i remember correctly, sony sound forge
> (windows) can ease the distortion. i forget what
> it's called but you can manually "draw" and
> modify/reshape the sound waves. other than
> working with that 2 years ago or so, i don't know
> any other solution.

Yeah.. That's what I've been doing with Soundtrack.
December 03, 2008 07:27PM
I have a similar problem in that we have several bits that are overmodulated.
I'm curious how you were able to modify the sound waves in soundtrack pro?
would be a great help!
December 03, 2008 11:09PM
Most DAWS these days have a tool that will do this. I have a plugin on my Nuendo system that works well for this. The way they work is to lower the level of the clip overall to give you headroom, then the plugin goes about rebuilding the waveforms at the top (the clipped portion). HOWEVER, for especially overmodulated pieces there is a second kind of distortion involved, that being Intermodulation distortion. Hard to describe but you'd know it if you heard it. It infests the non-clipped part of the waveform and is impossible to remove.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics