System locks up with Matrox MXO2??

Posted by aquaimage 
System locks up with Matrox MXO2??
December 07, 2008 09:11PM
Greetings:

Recently I purchased a Matrox MXO2 box. Since installing it my Mac Pro randomly locks up - cursor freezes; I've been unable to type in the password to wake from sleep, or had it lock up selecting an application after waking from sleep, or other activities.

My system is a dual core Mac Pro with 4GB of RAM running 10.5.5. I run four internal drives, two are boot drives with no documents, and two are data drives. I have a Radeon X1900 card in one PCI slot and the Matrox card in another slot. I have the latest Matrox driver.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I wanted to see if it's just my system or what before I call Matrox.

Thanks.
Re: System locks up with Matrox MXO2??
December 07, 2008 09:25PM
It all seems to work on my MBP with zero issues, not tried it on a Mac Pro
Have you posted you issue on Matrox's own MXO tech support forum?
[forum.matrox.com]
December 07, 2008 10:33PM
OK...just to throw this out there, as I too finally got my MXO 2. I haven't suffered any of the issues above but my system does take 5 min to shut down. Literally...I press shut down and 5 min later, my MacPro finally shuts down. Anyone else have this issue? Andy?

As for the main issue here, Repair Permissions, trash preferences, then uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

Oh, and I am trying to use an HDMI>DVI converter to get this on my ACD that I used with the MXO. Doesn't work. Andy, know why not? Before I all Wayne tomorrow at Matrox.

Chuck...I have my MXO 2. I haven't captured with it yet...I will see if I can find a deck in which to do so. But then I might only be able to with my laptop, so no prores or uncompressed.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 07, 2008 11:05PM
I'm glad to hear that you got the MXO2 and are trying it. We are "almost" completely tapeless so I don't plan on using the MXO2 for capture.

I'm mostly interested in its ability to adjust a plasma to (blue) bars for color grading. I know that it will not be calibrated for broadcast but I'm hoping it will be much better than nothing...

[or at least scoping it in Color]
December 07, 2008 11:36PM
>OK...just to throw this out there, as I too finally got my MXO 2. I haven't suffered any of the issues above but my system does take 5 min to shut down. Literally...I press shut down and 5 min later, my MacPro finally shuts down. Anyone else have this issue? Andy?

Shane, I'm not running it with the PCIe card, just direct thru the ExpressCard/34 on my MBP ... so far so good, I'm not seeing any issues with that setup

>Oh, and I am trying to use an HDMI>DVI converter to get this on my ACD that I used with the MXO. Doesn't work. Andy, know why not? Before I all Wayne tomorrow at Matrox.

The MXO2 is expecting a 1920x1080 screen Shane, I'm guessing the ACD's 1920x1200 resolution is unsupported.
December 07, 2008 11:51PM
I haven't tried it with my MBP yet. I should. And I have a plasma, but it doesn't have the HDMI card option. Trying the adapter thing but it isn't working. Yeah, Pat Sheffield thought it was the same thing...the 1200 resolution throwing it. Not gonna get another monitor until I rent my system again. Then I won't worry about a color correct one...just a client monitor that is big enough for them to see on a sofa behind me.

Guess I should pony up for the HDMI card for my Plasma...so I can hook up my HD DVD player to it. And future bluRay.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 08, 2008 02:56AM
Suddenly MXO doesn't deliver broadcast gamma and color-correct on an ACD 23" flat? That was always the sell point, wasn't it?

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Apply your default audio transition instantly
with Command-Option - T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 08, 2008 03:07AM
>Suddenly MXO doesn't deliver broadcast gamma and color-correct on an ACD 23" flat?

Now why would the advent of the MXO 2 suddenly make the MXO not work properly? You are confused here Loren. The MXO (original) still does what it is advertised to do...and it is an OUTPUT ONLY box. The MXO 2 is an I/O box, and while it doesn't have DVI out for a computer monitor, it does have HDMI out...and via HDMI out it has the monitor calibration software and blue only option. SO you can now balance your HDTV to bars for a better representation of the footage.

Broadcast Quality? Color correctable? Remains to be seen. And I suppose depends on the TV.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 08, 2008 09:35AM
Good suggestion. Thanks!
December 08, 2008 02:23PM
Hey Aquaimage... what firmware version are you running, and what driver version?

For driver 1.0 it should be FW v. 7.5

For driver version 1.1 FW SB 10.0

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 08, 2008 04:24PM
Shane:

I've got the correct driver and firmware...
December 08, 2008 04:28PM
Hmmm...same as me...

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 08, 2008 04:31PM
Shane:

I can't say for sure that this is the problem, but it's the only recent change to my system, other than the update to the OS to use the box. By the way, I took your advice and bought a Cal Digit HDOne. Thanks for your input.
December 12, 2008 10:23PM
OK...two things.

First off I finally got my system to shut down quickly. The culprit? XSAN 2 software. I am no longer on the XSAN, and have removed the Fibre card. Since then the MacPro took FOREVER to shut down. I figured it must be looking for the card or the network. Finally ran the XSAN uninstaller and boom, now I shut down in no time.

Second, I played DVCPRO HD footage via HDSDI to my HDTV (Panasonic Plasma 42"winking smiley. I balanced it darn well I think. Even brought in my HD CRT to judge next to it. VERY close. Some issues with the reds, but that's about it. About as close as the ACD was to my MXO.

Would I use it for broadcast color correction? That's tough. I would prefer a higher end monitor for that task, that's for sure. This makes for a GREAT image for a client monitor, so they can see how close it will really be. But there were small things about the picture quality on my TV that I don't think I'd trust with that task yet. Maybe a better monitor. Might require some shopping around.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 13, 2008 12:33PM
Shane, thanks for sharing your eperience with the MXO2, that's great to hear.

I intend on using the MXO2 in the way you suggested as a "calibrated" client monitor, something that will get me as close as I can to what the final DVD will look like, not for broadcast.

Regarding the display, since I just got the MXO2 now I'm in the market for a good Plasma with a one for one pixel mapping. Have any suggestions on brand and model?
December 13, 2008 07:59PM
Chuck

Not a plasma, but I was just looking around (for my mum) for an LCD TV and the Toshiba Regaza "RV" and "ZV" series caught my eye ... they offer 1920x1080p 10-bit xvYCC capable panels and support the HDMI 1.3 spec.

Ought to play nicely with an MXO2

Cheers
Andy
December 14, 2008 12:58AM
I'm a bit partial to the look of plasma displays versus LCD's. I'm looking at the Panasonic TH50PZ800 and 850U's, and the Pioneer Kuro PDP 5020FD.

for the money I like the Panasonic TH50PZ800 the best, the blacks in TH50PZ850 don't seem to be as dark as the 800 and in the set I was looking at the whites where just a bit off. The Pioneer is verynice but its about $1500 more and I don't think its worth the additional money.

Thanks for the recommendation I will add those to my list to check out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics