Doesn't anyone shoot 24p?

Posted by celulloyd 
Doesn't anyone shoot 24p?
December 12, 2008 04:00PM
Hello. I posted a question a few days ago about a 24p workflow, but no one has answered yet. Even if you can't answer my question (below), could someone point me in the right direction?

Here's my question:

I want to set up a workflow for FCP and a Panasonic DVX-100B. I?m going to be shooting a movie and I want to make sure that I?m shooting it at the correct settings, and that I create a timeline in FCP using the correct parameters.

It?s very simple: I?ll be shooting at 24p advanced because I want a film look and I need to be able to create some digital effects in After Effects. The finished movie will only be distributed on DVD (no transfer to film), and a few scenes will be used for a trailer that will be available on the Web site. My problem is that I?m not sure how to capture the raw footage into FCP or what setting(s) I need to use when creating the project in FCP. Also, someone told me that I need to perform a ?pulldown,? but I'm not sure I have to if it's not going to film.

Do you know if there?s anywhere I can find simple explanations on a workflow from raw footage to FCP timeline using specific examples?

I thank you in advance for any help you could give me,
Lloyd Lathrop
Re: Doesn't anyone shoot 24p?
December 12, 2008 06:48PM
DVX does shoot true 24p. It records it with either of two pulldown patterns, normal or advanced. Advanced is the correct one for your needs. FCP has an "easy-preset" for Adv 24p capture. This removes the pulldown on capture and leaves you with 24p media. Edit on a DV 24p timeline, which again, FCP has an easy preset for. Details here: [www.kenstone.net]

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
December 13, 2008 08:49AM
Graeme,

Thanks for your help. I printed those pages a few months ago, so I guess I'll have to read them now winking smiley . The problem I was having was that everything I could find explained how to shoot in 24p then edit as if the footage were going to be transfered to film (using Cinema Tools), and I know that's not going to happen.

Again, thank you!

Lloyd
December 13, 2008 10:00AM
If you shoot 24pA, then FCP removes the pulldown and CT is not needed. Then you can edit as 24p to make a 24p DVD, or web movie or go to film.

Graeme
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics