OT- is it me or can we no longer scrub in the finder?

Posted by wayne granzin 
OT- is it me or can we no longer scrub in the finder?
December 14, 2008 10:45PM
i just upgraded to leopard last night and it seems now that we have lost the ability to scrub through movies in the finder. all i see is a play/stop...

please tell me im missing something? this was a very handy time saving feature that i fear is gone : (
Re: OT- is it me or can we no longer scrub in the finder?
December 14, 2008 10:51PM
Hit the space bar when the file is selected and a pop-up screen will appear with a better looking scrub.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
December 14, 2008 11:02PM
wholly crap! thats interesting... cool!
but seems kinda like putting an elevator in an outhouse...
December 14, 2008 11:04PM
it's now called "quick look". very cool and much much faster than scrubbing in the finder.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 14, 2008 11:09PM
im sure i'll get used to it - things are starting to feel kinda "minority report" ish
December 14, 2008 11:39PM
Be careful you can start a preview and start quicklook and the movies will run at the same time it can be messy.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
December 14, 2008 11:48PM
Quick look is the coolest thing about leopard. You will love it.

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 15, 2008 12:13AM
I wonder why they didn't implement the J > K > L keys like in Quicktime.

Quick look is way cool it just seems that would have been easy to add while they were at it.
December 15, 2008 06:07AM
on the plus side, it;s not just for video files:

you can have a "quick Look" at still images, sound files and text files, too.

nick
December 15, 2008 10:38AM
QuickLook is the best, it's become my favorite way of dealing with files, music plays instantly, psd's show up with alpha channels, documents pop up with readable navigable text, its the best.

And it's wicked slick for dealing with FCP, i keep a Finder window open on my 2nd monitor, slide up and down through my b-roll, music, pics, etc to find the media i need, then hit spacebar to make it go away, and then drag my selected clip over the viewer. Beats the hell out of double clicking in the and scrubbing through inside FCP
December 15, 2008 11:49AM
...yep...it's you winking smiley

Love QuickLook thumbs down

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 15, 2008 04:58PM
I want JKL.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Copy a clip, Paste Overwrite with Command-V, but
Paste Insert with Shift- V !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 15, 2008 05:40PM
dont get me wrong, this is all groovy, sexy and fun. but it seems were adding a keystroke and invoking windows to accomplish something we already had in column view before. and the autoplay is way annoying - is there a way to turn that off?

it does however make life MUCH easier previewing text files!
December 15, 2008 08:38PM

Quick look is the coolest thing about leopard. You will love it.

Disagree.

SPACES is the coolest thing about Leopard. I have 8 completely different desktops all running at once on a Dual monitor system. No moving windows around. It is brilliant for speed eaters like myself grinning smiley

December 16, 2008 08:19AM
i love the spaces too. It was the main reason i couldn't wait to get into leopard. Every computer should have that. Its a very efficient way of working with different programs without window clutter.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
December 16, 2008 02:16PM
now while were discussing such things i HIGHLY recommend that everyone go here:

[www.unsanity.com]

it $13.50 but its the BEST money you will spend on your mac. it brings back the ability to minimize a window to its title bar IN PLACE! ive been using it since apple killed this functionality in the first release of osx and i simply couldnt live without it.

like i say, ive been using it for years and havent noticed any conflicts or other such probelms
December 16, 2008 02:43PM
You couldn't pay me to install anything from Unsanity on my system. I know it's just anecdotal, but in my experience more system-level problems can be traced to Unsanity products than to all other non-hardware causes combined.

December 16, 2008 03:15PM
Nope...no unsanity crap for me either.

December 16, 2008 05:21PM
oh im with you guys, im usually THE BIGGEST supporter of "dont jack with your system"

now maybe im just using the right unsanity app (and not all the doofy "change the color of my menus" stuff) but like i said, ive been using windowshadeX since the first week i went with OSX - thats been what? like four years? and ive never had one single system issue -

think back, have you guys ever heard me here talking about any kind of system problems?
December 16, 2008 06:15PM
yep, Windowshade X has been great for me, since those days, too.
i also use fruitmenu, but need it a lot less than when i started with it.

the one thing i really love is Synergy, an iTunes controller.
there are other apps that do that, too, Synergy is just the one i have.
i use remote control of iTunes while i edit sometimes and find it invaluable.

nick
December 17, 2008 01:13AM
ahhh - yeah. i use both windowshade and fruitmenu. and neither has ever given me an ounce of trouble. id say that in 4 years of use, fruitmenu has saved me probably about 12 total hours by NOT having to wait and click OK on shutdown each time i shut my machine down.
December 17, 2008 07:44AM
i wouldn't use the window shade because leopard already does a lot of nice stuff for organization. How ever the Fruitmenu is kinda nice looking.

I wish that i could have more folder options. such as more or custom color for folders.
I wish color choices would paint the entire folder not just the name.
I wish i could use custom icons for some of my most used folders.
I wish they had an expose for spaces.

Does anyone have a persian lamp with a mysterious smoke coming out of it?

""""
December 17, 2008 08:00AM
"persian lamp with a mysterious smoke coming out of it?"

!!! sounds like you don't need it smiling smiley

windowshade is not about organisation, per se, it makes a window contract into just the title bar.

anyone can have whatever icon they want.
copy an icon,
select the folder you want to change,
apple i (get info)
tab (selects icon at top of get info window)
paste.
(sometimes you have to paste more than once.)

my favourite folders are the "Andy Warhol Folders" from iheartny
[www.iheartny.com]
i use the ones *without* the andy warhol images.

nick
December 17, 2008 08:08AM
This is completely irrational on my part, but I'm going to go ahead and confess it, because confession is good for the soul.

I have an innate, unshakeable prejudice that bubbles up whenever I sit down at a system that's got custom icons on it, or unusual third-party doohickeys, or hell, even something other than the default desktop picture. Fine, I get it, everybody has their own preferences. I respect that, I do. But I can't help thinking that every second that guy spent trying to find just the right desktop picture was a second he didn't spend exercising his craft, and that gets stuck in my head.

The only concession I make, personally, to customizing my system is changing the dock from the default always-on to hide-unless-I-swipe-down. And that's purely pragmatic; it gets in the way of my timeline unless I hide it.

I know, I know, I shouldn't be such a jerk about stuff like that. But it's hard to shake.

December 17, 2008 09:11AM
jeff nothings wrong with that. You don't care about Time and efficiency.

I get tired of trying to find the same 6 folder. I am always adding to the list so sometimes i just want to know that every folder that i see with a speaker is all about sound or every folder with an disc icon is a folder with mpeg2s ready for burn.

Just things like that. if i am looking for sound i want to mentally exclude other images except all folders dealing with sound which will be a speaker icon. That would save sometime with me.

""""
December 17, 2008 09:46AM

But I can't help thinking that every second that guy spent trying to find just the right desktop picture was a second he didn't spend exercising his craft, and that gets stuck in my head.

Not changing system icons are one thing...but not changing desktop pictures??? Jeez man...that's a pretty close-minded opinion, IMHO. The custom desktops I made for my monitors were done while "exercising my craft". When you stare at monitors as much as we do in this business you will go BATTY staring at a solid blue BKGD. Only the PC Avid suggests you turn off all custom things to "improve performance" including the desktop picture. It's such an anti-user friendly system.

December 17, 2008 10:11AM
> I have an innate, unshakeable prejudice that bubbles up whenever I sit down at a system
> that's got custom icons on it, or unusual third-party doohickeys

Everybody's got quirks.

But there's a practical reason for some of these "visual presentation" touches. For example, if you're working at a company, a desktop that's uniform in appearance (eg. company logo) makes a subconscious impact on a visiting client. As does a neatly organized desktop.

My own quirk is to customize as few buttons and shortcuts in FCP as possible. That forces me to learn FCP's own default shortcuts, and also means I can switch from station to station a bit quicker without having to restore all those settings. When I learned Avid XPress, I had to customize so many shortcuts that after a year or so of not using it, it's like I never learned it at all. It really is impossible to learn an NLE unless you use it habitually for a year or so and burn it into the "bike riding" part of your brain.

www.derekmok.com
December 17, 2008 12:53PM
I have an innate, unshakeable prejudice that bubbles up whenever I sit down at a system that's got custom icons on it, or unusual third-party doohickeys, or hell, even something other than the default desktop picture

irrational or not, i am SOOOOO with you jeff. i worked with a guy recently who had different drive icons and different desktop pictures like every 3 days. yet every time i asked him for something work-related he was "just too busy to get to it today" - not to mention every time i needed to use his machine i had to figure out which icon was which... AGAIN... GRRR!!!

i personally find desktop pictures kinda distracting - cant go wrong with a nice soothing beige ; )

the ONLY system mods ive EVER used are windowshade and fruitmenu - because they are HUGE timesavers. with windowshade you dont even need "spaces" hell, i often have about 20 windows and about 6 apps all open at once and each window is minimized to just its title bar, right there where i left it. bam, bam, bam!

desktop pictures, icons, BLEH. it would be like a carpenter painting his saw a different color.
who cares - shut up and just cut that board already!
December 17, 2008 07:15PM
I totally hear what you're saying about the desktop, Derek. I guess I just don't see the appeal of having a special desktop picture, since I hardly ever see my desktop. Final Cut, Soundtrack, Color, Maya, After Effects ? they're all full-screen applications. The only time I see my desktop on my edit system is when it's freshly booted up, or on the rare occasion when I have to go into Filemaker.

Of course, Corbett hit the nail on the head. As somebody who worked over 300 hours in the month of November and who hasn't had a full day off including weekends since Columbus Day, clearly I don't give a damn about time or efficiency. That must be it.

December 17, 2008 09:44PM
sorry miss type ... jeff,

i meant to type: " You don't care about nothing but time and efficiency. "

Thats one of those mistake i never would notice and then wonder why no one understands me.

MY BAD

Meanwhile, I use to use a certain image on my desktop when i wanted to keep a certain frame of mind. It sorta gives me a point of reference for the style i want to stick with for a certain project.

I sometimes try to go against my style preferences to find something knew. A nice wallpaper with some type style point of reference like a DOB style shot of the line of a neutral colored car. So i start the day looking at my desktop with the edit style in mind.

Other wise its 75% of the time is a gray on gray apple logo.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics