XDcam files to test Transfer process

Posted by Dan Hayes 
XDcam files to test Transfer process
December 19, 2008 08:35PM
Does anyone know of where I can download XDcam EX files(or failing that, standard XDcam files) to test the "Log and Transfer" process in FCP?

Thanks
Dan
Re: XDcam files to test Transfer process
December 20, 2008 11:03AM
Here you are:

[www.silverspoon.fi]

This is just a single clip with nasty flicker (due to slo-mo). Not quite sure if you need more (like the whole file structure) to open it. Try it and report back.
December 20, 2008 11:29AM
Thanks for uploading the file, but I get a warning message that "the 001_0011_01 folder contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure". Do you know what the proper directory structure is?

Dan
December 22, 2008 10:17PM
Vortex Media is selling a disc of clips for those who want to test the workflow before they buy the camera.

[www.vortexmedia.com]
December 26, 2008 01:33PM
Dan,

The EX1 creates a "BPAV" file on the SxS card. This file is a file structure containing the image clip and metadate that FCP can not read. There are two applications that Sony ships with the EX1/3, XDCAM Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer.

In order to use this clip you need to download XDCAM Clip Browser, which enables you to browse the clips on the SxS cards, and transfer the BPAV file - making sure that the file structure remains in tact. Then you use XDCAM Transfer which is the software that converts the clips into a Quicktime that FCP can use.

This sounds more convoluted than it is. In my opinion this process is much faster and better than digitizing from tape. It just takes a bit of getting used too.

You can download these applications free from the Sony site.
December 26, 2008 03:53PM
Here's a page with most all of the free Sony software used with the EX1/3 cameras:

[www.sony.co.uk]

dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics