Can you toggle between the razor tool and the arrow tool?

Posted by Apostolos 
Can you toggle between the razor tool and the arrow tool?
December 23, 2008 05:42PM
I find that I use the two tools a lot when I do a specific type of cut. Is there a shortcut keyboard or something to make you toggle between the arrow (selection tool) and the razor tool without having t to go the tool palette each time?
Re: Can you toggle between the razor tool and the arrow tool?
December 23, 2008 06:06PM
Press B for Blade, A for Arrow.

www.derekmok.com
December 23, 2008 06:07PM
Press B to get the razor tool, then A to get the Arrow tool.

You gotta get a FCP keyboard or keyboard cover. www.kbcovers.com

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 23, 2008 06:16PM
Or, if you only cut on one line, or are organised enough to be able to use the auto select functions, keep the arrow tool selected and use control v to blade at the playhead point.

The auto select buttons will stop cuts on tracks you don't want to affect, like music, or subtitle lines.

December 23, 2008 07:25PM
I second Jude's control-V suggestion. I watched another editor work for a bit last week. She's very talented, but her style of operating the machine is so different from mine. She's all about the mouse. She does excellent work, but watching her do it was driving me nuts, because I'm a keyboard junkie.

My point being that using the mouse versus the keyboard is a totally valid choice, and you can still produce great work if you drag-and-drop your way to the finished cut. But keyboard shortcuts definitely come in handy.

December 23, 2008 08:29PM
I don't think I have ever used the razor blade tool...ever. Control-v all the way.
December 24, 2008 01:27PM
I think a lot of people use the mouse to impress their clients that they are doing a lot of work when in fact they are just very busy due to being very inefficient. It's the old scam the boss routine & charge extra billing for all the wasted time.

Ctrl V, X to mark the trim & the delete key to the left of the End key to Ripple Delete to complete the trim & then on to the next edit point to be adjusted.

Drives me crazy when I watch how much effort it takes people
who don't know the KB shortcuts, going up & searching through menus rather than doing the task at hand.

The process is so effortless with the KB shortcuts that it frees up almost 100% of your time to what you want to concentrate on doing the best editing job possible.

Dave
December 24, 2008 01:41PM
> I think a lot of people use the mouse to impress their clients that they are doing a lot of work
> when in fact they are just very busy due to being very inefficient.

A bit too much of a sweeping generalization there, I think. Some people prefer the mouse, some prefer the keyboard, some prefer the Wacom tablet. Let's say a task takes a mouse user six operations and a keyboard user three operations. But if the mouse user can do those six operations in three seconds but the keyboard user takes six seconds, the mouse user is still faster and more efficient.

You can't force personal habits. The main thing is to know the options, try them in a real-life context, and find the one that fits your mindset the most. There are plenty of operations I do with a mouse because I don't feel like overthinking it, trying to find a way to do it with the keyboard when all it takes is one mouse drag. The "thinking about the best way" often takes longer than just using the first technique that comes to you. Anything to help you stay within a creative mindset rather than a logistical one.

www.derekmok.com
December 25, 2008 03:05AM
>I think a lot of people use the mouse to impress their clients that they are doing a lot of
>work when in fact they are just very busy due to being very inefficient.

To be honest, I can't imagine how anyone looks efficient by working only off a mouse. All the mouse-only users I've seen look very slow and inefficient. But it's really about how instinctive those operations are for the editor- whether it's the keyboard/mouse/tablet or whichever combination.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 25, 2008 03:26AM
Exactly, the mouse & tablet are very useful in motion graphics work & we all use them for these purposes, but for editing nothing come close to the keyboard. I dread the day that is coming when touch screens come to the Mac.

The side benefit is that a good editor will have 300 to 400 of these commands committed to his memory for instant use so that almost all time spent in an editing session is available for the creative task at at hand. This makes for a relaxing stress free working environment.

Dave
December 25, 2008 09:11AM
> All the mouse-only users I've seen look very slow and inefficient.

Most of us would have come up with our own combinations of mouse-keyboard co-operation. I tend to have my left hand on the keyboard ASDF while my right hand flies with the mouse. (Consequently, I'm one of those trained keyboardists who, despite the training, only ever use the APPLE, SHIFT, CONTROL and OPTION keys on the left side) Of course it's rare for a mouse-only user to match the speed of a keyboard-proficient user. I brought up the "shortcut obsession" because many people have posted questions about how to do things with a keyboard -- tasks that are really much better with a mouse. For example, trying to position the playhead with only a keyboard is really, really messy. That's where I tend to go, "Just pet the rodent!"

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics