mouse freeze with 10.5.6

Posted by Karl Hirsch 
mouse freeze with 10.5.6
December 25, 2008 04:48AM
Howdy all --

I just got a brand new Mac Pro, and I am having mouse-freeze problems. If I walk away from the machine for twenty minutes (for a render or whatever else), the mouse functionality gets wiggy, and the only way to repair it is to hard-restart using the power button. Obviously, I'm not really excited about doing this over and over again... something's wrong.

I have repaired permissions and all that.

Has anyone else had these problems?

thanks!
k
JAS
Re: mouse freeze with 10.5.6
December 26, 2008 12:50AM
After updating to 10.5.6, my Mac Pro will not wake from sleep properly. The screen turns on, but the mouse (cursor) is frozen.

I think there is a conflict between 10.5.6 and the driver for my Kona LHe card. Downgrading to 10.5.5 returned the system to normalcy.
December 26, 2008 12:57PM
Hey Jas --

Thanks for commenting, glad to hear I'm not the only one. I also found this thread:

[discussions.apple.com]

I certainly hope the fix it! Otherwise I will try to downgrade to 10.5.5.

thanks again!
k
December 26, 2008 03:23PM
First post here.

Same problem for me as well. I put my Mac Pro to sleep every night instead of a power down. The next morning after updating to 10.5.6, the mouse froze. This was reproducible every time by putting the computer to sleep (even sleeping it for 30 sec). Didn't know it was related to the Kona cards, though. I have the Kona 3. I spent well over an hour on the phone with Apple support but they could not solve it. My issue might be slightly different, however.

When Applecare got to the stage of having me do an uninstall of the 10.5.6 update, there was not trace of the Updater Package in my Library files despite the Info box saying that I was running the updated version of the OS. This missing package prevented them from walking me through an uninstall of 10.5.6. The final step they wanted me to do was an "Archive and Install" and install the OS all over again which I opted NOT to do. For now, I'll either shut down the MP every night or let it run with the screen turned off. I'll have to do this dance until Snow Leopard comes out and then I'll wipe it clean and start over.

So, you might want to check your Library files and see if you have (what looks like) an incomplete installation of 10.5.6. Anybody else see this missing from their updated OS?
December 26, 2008 03:29PM
If you haven't you might try installing the 10.5.6 COMBO update.

[support.apple.com]

beats hell out of the software control panel update and often cures little problems.

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 26, 2008 03:34PM
Hi Michael,
I've been using Combo Update for the last several updates and this is the first time that I've been "bitten". I used to do the online link update but this seemed somehow safer. Guess I was wrong, huh? I'll be curious to see if anybody else has the Updater files missing from their Library like I am experiencing.

Good luck with the SuperMeet this year. You and Larry are quite a tag-team! And can I also say "MORE REVERB!!" ;-)

dave
December 27, 2008 06:22AM
Another thing you might do - the hint that triggered this suggestion was "Updater files missing from their Library"-- is something MacFixit.com always suggests-- REINSTALL the Combo update. And detach every peripheral device so no support processes are running. They say the experience is much improved on a second pass.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Copy a clip, Paste Overwrite with Command-V, but
Paste Insert with Shift- V !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 27, 2008 10:00AM
Oddly enough, I suggested this to the tech but she didn't think that the updater would allow me to reinstall the package on top of the other installation. I haven't tried it yet but probably will. I'll keep you posted.
JAS
December 27, 2008 11:00PM
Although there might be multiple reasons for our Macs to lock up when exiting sleep under 10.5.6, I have found that the presence of the Kona LHe driver is one factor. Below is a summary of the troubleshooting I did to see where things go haywire.

I put a new hard drive inside my Mac Pro, did a fresh install of OS 10.5, used the combo updater to reach 10.5.5, installed the latest Kona LHe driver (6.0.2), and everything worked well. But after I ran the 10.5.6 combo updater, the wake-from-sleep problem occurred.

For additional testing, I initialized the hard drive, performed a fresh install of OS 10.5, and ran the 10.5.6 combo updater. The computer worked fine with no wake-from-sleep issue. But as soon as I installed the Kona LHe driver, the wake-from-sleep problem resurfaced.

I've even tried using an earlier version (6.0.1) of the Kona LHe software, but the results are no better.

It seems to me that 10.5.6 and the Kona LHe driver do not get along. Until there is a fix, I am running my Mac Pro with OS 10.5.5 and the latest Kona software.
December 27, 2008 11:45PM
I wonder if the fix for this will be coming from Aja or from Apple?
December 29, 2008 06:10PM
Adding to my own answer:

Downloaded and installed 10.5.6 update again and it DID allow me to install it on top of itself. Then downloaded and installed the latest version of the Kona 3 driver/software package (6.0.2 released on 12/11). After doing a restart, I then tried putting the MacPro to sleep again.....same outcome.....hung mouse pointer. Does anybody from Aja ever post in these forums?
JAS
January 05, 2009 01:50AM
This is an AJA forum on CreativeCOW's web site. Perhaps AJA staff reads messages there.

CreativeCOW Kona forum
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics