red camera footage - color correct before or after

Posted by rjoe11 
red camera footage - color correct before or after
January 05, 2009 12:07PM
does anyone know if it's better or proper to color correct my red camera footage first in RED ALERT or is it ok to just 'log and transfer' into final cut then color correct there? any advantages and disadvantages?
Just trying to figure a proper/efficient workflow. Any tips?
Re: red camera footage - color correct before or after
January 05, 2009 02:16PM
I don't know what kind of control is available in "Red Alert" but I totally dig FCP's 3-Way CC and / or Magic Bullet Looks if you are looking for a specific mood to set.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 05, 2009 02:31PM
You definitely shouldn't be doing final colour correction in Red Alert. Those controls are meant for you to be able to get the target exports to look like what you shot (correct colour settings, etc. -- I'm not a colour expert), not look like the final product. RED footage isn't simple, though -- the one time I worked with it, we did have to have a colorist go through Red Alert to make sure all the settings are correct. It's not just "hit 'export' and run". So some tweaks to the settings are necessary -- but not to get a "look", just to get it neutral and to represent the shoot accurately.

www.derekmok.com
January 05, 2009 02:57PM
With the new FCP->Color native workflow - that's the way I'd go. It works great. You bring in the "native" R3D files into FCP, wrapped as Quicktime, edit. Then send to Color for your CC, which works back to the RAW data for the best precision.

Graeme
January 05, 2009 09:35PM
thanks for the input everyone!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics