Anybody using the 24" Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP with FCP?

Posted by Russ Blaise 
Anybody using the 24" Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP with FCP?
January 06, 2009 11:41PM
I'm looking to buy another 24" monitor to go along with my 24" Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP. I would buy another 2407 but they don't make them anymore so it looks like I have to go with the 2408WFP model. The 2407WFP has been working out great for me, just wondering if any 2408WFP users out there and how they like it.

[NOTE] Please don't suggest me buying a monitor from Apple. Last year they shipped me a 23" with dead pixels and I had to threaten them to get them to take it back :-)

The 2408WFP
Re: Anybody using the 24" Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP with FCP?
January 07, 2009 02:17AM
Well, different models so the colors might not match. Heck, some people bought two 2408s and the colors didn't match. I have two 2405s and was lucky, I suppose. But know that with two different models you might not be able to get them REALLY close in terms of color. They might have different LCDs in them.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 07, 2009 02:48AM
I have the configuration you are talking about Russ. The colors and contrast don't match but I've found it a blessing in disguise. I have my 2407 as a calibrated monitor and the new 2408 using default settings (for video). I preview on the 2407 and use the 2408 as my workspace but that is only because I have the older one calibrated.

The 2408 has much deeper blacks and the contrast ratio will make your 2407 seem ancient. 2408 as HDMI on it as well. I don't have any regrets about the mixing and matching. It has it's usefulness. Price is right and the monitor (as you know) is super flexible in receiving inputs.
January 07, 2009 10:41AM
I do have a 2407 (I'm verry happy with) and a 2408.
As Andrew said blacks and contrast are way better on the 2408. But it took a long time to get a 2408 which had a reasonable color shift from left to right and up to down - I supposed that there was no color shift, but Dell told me that there is always a color shift with this model. After 3 month shipping back and forth monitors I kept the one I got now and it's not bad - but I wouldn't buy one again.

Andreas
January 07, 2009 07:42PM
I have a 2408 and it's adequate.

-A
January 08, 2009 11:00AM
I have a 2407 next to an 2408. They seem pretty close but to be honest, since I don't use them to color correct - I kinda ignore their color representation. They're obviously good enough to show you any obviously color issues but I wouldn't bet on them for super critical or subtle color viewing.

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
January 08, 2009 11:31AM
Hey thanks for all the input everyone. I've read some reviews about the 2408 from different sources saying that the "colors are almost neon", "tricky to get the best colour output", "bright enough to toast bread" (I like that one), "blue cast" and so on. Also there were a lot of positive talk about the 2408. Some said you should wait until the next REVISION of the 2408. I think that's what I did when I bought the 2407. I'll have to look into it a bit more... thanks :-)

Andreas, too bad about that color shift problem. I hate monitors that have that. I have three, three year old 19'' ViewSonic monitors that have that problem and the people at ViewSonic won't acknowledge it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics