FCPUG Supermeet

Posted by Stopedog 
FCPUG Supermeet
January 08, 2009 09:15PM
so Michael, what was the big news from Apple?

"Never underestimate a kick to the nuts"
Bas Rutten
Anonymous User
Re: FCPUG Supermeet
January 08, 2009 09:41PM
Great show and great fun. All the presentations were wonderful. No dog and pony and lots of great info. JVC announced a brand new cam that I can only describe as every Indy filmmakers wet dream. See here

[pro.jvc.com]

Blackmagic Design also announced 2 new Decklink Cards for $695 and $395 respectuflly

Decklink Studio

Decklink SD

First time ever world premieres were made at a SuperMeet.

Man, it was so much fun last night. Great city and crowd, in San Francisco. Wasn't an empty seat and folks seemed to have a good time and we all learned a lot.

NAB SuperMeet, despite all the doom and gloom talk will be even better.
January 08, 2009 10:42PM
Sounds like a great event! Did Apple mention anything about Final Cut Studio?

Bas Rutten
Anonymous User
January 08, 2009 11:51PM
Nope.

Typically Macworld is not the place for Apple Pro announcements
January 09, 2009 01:55AM
Man...Decklink is really showing it's teeth as an option for the budget minded. That Studio card is something else, and cheap!

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Anonymous User
January 09, 2009 10:30AM
Here is more info on the JVC cam. There are 2 cams a coming. The ompact hand-held GY-HM100 3-CCD camcorder mentioned above and the 700 with 1/3 chips.

Both shoot to cheap SDHC cards.

[pro.jvc.com]
January 09, 2009 11:14AM
Michael, That new JVC cam isn't due out till April. Did they mention what the cost of the cam and the cards?
Anonymous User
January 09, 2009 11:32AM
The SD cards are cheap and getting cheaper. Heck, there is little reason to wipe them. Just google. The 100 is under 4K. Don't know about the other cam yet.

The 100 has a Fujinon lens
January 09, 2009 11:47AM
very interesting cam and Fcp oriented.

its not clear in the doc if the lens has a never ending focus ring or a resisting ring with a stop when you reach infinite.

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
January 09, 2009 04:05PM
Michael Horton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nope.
>
> Typically Macworld is not the place for Apple Pro
> announcements

What I was getting at was on the LAFCPUG web site there was an agenda posted that listed
Christine Steele, Bruce Nazarian, JVC and Apple. After Apple it said "The Latest on Final Cut Studio."

To me that implies that there would be news about Final Cut Studio. Was there any? Did Apple show up? I can assume by now that if Apple did show up, there was nothing of importance that they had to say or it would have been posted somewhere. I didn't expect FCS 3, but I thought that "the latest on Final Cut Studio" would mean some news. I'm sure it did help sell some tickets though.

Bas Rutten
JVC - XDCAM EX !!!
January 09, 2009 05:56PM
They don't say it explicitly but the specs mention 35mbps MPEG2 Long GOP. I've heard elsewhere that they ARE actually using XDCAM EX codec! Interesting given that JVC had previously announced a device that would allow JVC cameras to record to SxS cards.

BTW The Sony XDCAM EX cameras can record to SDHC too now.
[e-films.com.au]
has an adaptor called MxR.
I using it with two Sandisk SDHC Ultra II 32GB cards and combined get nearly 4 hours record time.
January 11, 2009 05:44PM
Yes, Stopedog. I also say\w that agenda on the site and am very confused as to why
no one is talking about ANY of those potentially interesting presentations.
Seems kind of weird to me...
Anonymous User
January 11, 2009 06:59PM
Yes Apple did show up and the "Latest on Final Cut Studio" line was supplied by them not me. That said, those that pay attention know that Apple generally never make big announcements about FCS at a Macworld event. Even though a SuperMeet is not a Macworld event it is presented at the same time at Macworld, so you should never expect a big announcement on pro apps at that time of year.

Apple showed how to use the new JVC cam which is as simple as take the card out of the camera insert it into your mac, drag the files to the timeline. They now claim 1,250,000 FCP users world wide.

Bruce, Christine, M Dot Strange, Yun Suh, Eric Escobar all were brilliant and their presentations will be online in a few weeks.

There were 2 world premieres at this SuperMeet. The first time in our history. JVC and Blackmagic Design.

There is much more to a SuperMeet than a Apple presentation. It's about getting out from behind your computer and meeting other like minded people and sharing what you are doing. It's about learning more. It's not all about selling products.

If anyone is not talking about those other presentations it is because this is a FCP troubleshooting forum.
January 11, 2009 07:32PM
I agree 100% with everything you said. I didn't expect FCS3 (probably closer to NAB) but thought maybe they would release a 6.06 or something. The JVC and native QT files is awesome though.

Bas Rutten
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics