OT: Blu-Ray Drive/Authoring

Posted by derek hillier 
OT: Blu-Ray Drive/Authoring
January 13, 2009 04:19AM
Hello All
I Know its a bit off topic but I just upgraded to Toast 10 with the HD Blu-Ray plug in and was wondering what Blu-Ray writer will be compatible. I have a late 2008 8 core Mac Pro.

I've seen advertised internal Pioneer in the USA but I'm in UK, also an external Lacie.
Toast help was rubbish they just didn't help.
Any ideas?

thanks

Derek
Re: Blu-Ray Authoring
January 13, 2009 07:28AM
If you have a spare SATA port inside your Mac (ie the extra SATA ports or one free HDD Slot) you can use the much cheaper and faster SATA versions of the BluRay Drives that are available.

The only downside is that they (apparently) won't work in Windows on your Mac (if you were going to use it to watch BR copy protected movies).

Otherwise you shouldn't have any issues with any new model of BR Drive.

[www.shop.bt.com]

[www.shop.bt.com]

[www.eclipsecomputers.com]

[www.eclipsecomputers.com]

[skybox-usa.com]

You could also try an external USB 2.0 or FireWire case - many are incredibly cheap that should work if you put the Drive into them.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Re: Blu-Ray Authering
January 13, 2009 08:59AM
Thanks very much, do you think they are easy to fit?

cheers

Derek
Re: Blu-Ray Authoring
January 13, 2009 09:18AM
Using the extra internal SATA ports on the MacPro: [www.xlr8yourmac.com]

And the driver for windows so you can use it for BR movies... [downloadcenter.intel.com]

One SATA to IDE option: [www.echenique.com]

Other than that its as easy as fitting most things in a Mac... piece of cake!

Apple Manual for Replacing the main optical drive: [manuals.info.apple.com]

...just add the BR Drive below... you may need to take off the front bezel on the BR drive Tray so it fits through the sliding door slot on the MacPro but this should just slide/clip on so is easy to take off.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Anonymous User
Re: OT: Blu-Ray Drive/Authoring
January 15, 2009 12:21AM
Burner: LG Blu-ray Burner GGW-H20L
External Case: VANTEC NST-530S2 External Enclosure
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics