NOTE: If you are using Seagate/Maxtor drives. READ HERE!

Posted by strypes 
NOTE: If you are using Seagate/Maxtor drives. READ HERE!
January 19, 2009 06:52AM
There has been news of a high failure rate on certain Seagate/Maxtor drives. Seagate has offered firmware updates to rectify the problem.

Check your drive model/serial number/firmware here to see if your drive requires a firmware update:

[seagate.custkb.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: NOTE: If you are using Seagate drives. READ HERE!
January 19, 2009 06:54AM
From poster hanguolaohu:

I researched this for an hour today as I was just about to buy two Seagate 1.5TB drives to run in a Raid 1. The Seagates' 1TB and 1.5TB 7200.11 drives that have shipped out since July had problems with the disk write cache that is leading to peoples' drives failing. This has particularly affected Mac and Linux users. Seagate has said the data remains intact on the drives so there is no data loss. Seagate has released firmware upgrades that supposedly fix the problem.

As of 1/17/09, there are 2 firmware upgrades floating around: CC1H and CC1J. One could easily presume that CC1J is later than CC1H but someone on a forum claimed that Seagate chat support stated that they are the same firmware. CC1J is new from the factory, while CC1H is an upgrade for the defective CC1G firmware. This is not 100% confirmed. People are saying that Seagate is promising another firmware update next week. Since there appears to be people still having problems I would wait it out if you were planning to buy a drive.

If you absolutely must buy a drive, I read on the the thread below, which btw is quite informative, that Newegg is shipping with the latest CC1J models while Amazon continues to ship defective CC1G models. So I would order from Newegg as they seem to get newer stock.

This thread has a lot of information by people who seem very passionate about this subject:
[www.readynas.com]

According to Seagate's website, the drives that have been affected are:
[206.31.2.4]

Barracuda 7200.11
ST31000340AS
ST31000640AS
ST3750330AS
ST3750630AS
ST3640330AS
ST3640630AS
ST3500320AS
ST3500620AS
ST3500820AS
ST31500341AS
ST31000333AS
ST3640323AS
ST3640623AS
ST3320613AS
ST3320813AS
ST3160813AS

Barracuda ES.2 SATA
ST31000340NS
ST3750330NS
ST3500320NS
ST3250310NS

DiamondMax 22
STM31000340AS
STM31000640AS
STM3750330AS
STM3750630AS
STM3500320AS
STM3500620AS
STM3500820AS
STM31000334AS
STM3320614AS
STM3160813AS

On that page, there is only software for the PC, so like someone said above you have to e-mail Seagate tech support for Mac support.

Hope my research helps someone :-)

Best,
Alexander

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: NOTE: If you are using Seagate drives. READ HERE!
January 19, 2009 07:02AM
Of course, we heard it all here as the drama was unfolding...

Link to thread:

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: NOTE: If you are using Seagate/Maxtor drives. READ HERE!
January 19, 2009 10:57AM
Is anyone noticing this change?

[techreport.com]

I was a few days away from ordering 5x1TB Seagates for a clients RAID. I think I'll wait and pick stuff up in person where I can cross check the serial and model numbers with the lists that are floating around.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
January 19, 2009 11:19AM
It seems there are way too many problem drives out there for the Tech team to handle - quite why they didn't offer the upgrade firmware in the first place with detailed instructions is beyond me...

I have subscribed - I now just have to wait for the firmware link to become available. I won't risk any important data on the disks until its done.

Cheers Andrew

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 20, 2009 02:50PM
The firmware update has been pulled offline. The firmware is being validated (yea, play guess work with firmware to make sure your data is properly fried). It seems that perhaps they cannot provide a feasible solution to this mess which shouldn't have happened in the first place if they had a proper QC process.

This is extremely extremely disappointing.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 21, 2009 02:15AM
Just saw this.. They botched the firmware upgrade...

[www.theinquirer.net]

www.strypesinpost.com
January 21, 2009 07:34AM
Came across this. Extremely informative word about the silence that stills the air.

[slashdot.org]

Excerpts:

yes, the 1.5Tb drives both stutter and are at risk of bricking due to the journal issue. The Stuttering issue is fairly recent and mostly runs in the 1.5tb drives - but the journal issue is older and exists across many 7200.11 drives. ES2 drives and Diamondmax drives.

On the bricking issue:

Then the bricking issue came to their attention. It took so long because it's an issue that's hard to track down - pretty much the journal or log space in the firmware is written to if certain events occur. IF the drive is powered down when there are 320 entries in this journal or log, then when it is powered back up, the drive errors out on init and won't boot properly - to the point that it won't even report it's information to the BIOS.

This is a rare, but still obviously bad issue. Up until now, we all figured it was just some standard type of failure, as it was such a rare event, so we'd RMA the drives.

So, for whatever reason, mid management started freaking out (as it could be a liability for seagate, I suspect - ontop of the already potentially liable issue of the stuttering problem causing drives to fail in RAIDs). So, they pushed the release of the SD1A firmware to the general public. They took a few days to 'test', though it was mostly just including some code in the batch file that kicks off the firmware updater, to check that it is a BRINKS drive, and the proper model number. Then it was kicked out to the public.

Please understand, this firmware had to go through five different checks to make sure it applies to the specific conditions to qualify sending to a customer, before now. 5 chances for us to go your drive needs the other (or none) firmware update. Suddenly, it's down to ONE check, and even that was more designed for a contingency just incase the wrong firmware was sent out.

Of course, it starts bricking drives.

Right now, the engineers are crapping themselves, the firmware's been pulled, the support agents are told to say "The firmware will be released soon" and no real procedure to fix this issue is in place. Our phones are flooded so bad that it locks the system up when there are too many calls in queue, and emails are coming in at hundreds an hour.

I'm no statistician, but the 'drive becoming inaccessable at boot-up' is pretty much a very slim chance - but when you have 10 million drives in the field, it does happen. The conditions have to be just right - you have to reboot just after the drive writes the 320th log file to the firmware space of the drive. this is a log file that's written only occasionally, usually when there are bad sectors, missed writes, etc... might happen every few days on a computer in a nin-RAID home use situation.. and if that log file is written even one time after the magic #320, it rolls over the oldest file kept on the drive and there's no issue. It'll only stop responding IF the drive is powered up with log file #320 being the latest one written... a perfect storm situation. IF this is the case, then seagate is trying to put in place a procedure where you can simply ship them the drive, they hook it up to a serial controller, and re-flashed with the fixed firmware. That's all it takes to restore the drive to operation! As for buying new drives, that's up to you. None of the CC firmware drives were affected - only the SD firmware drives. I'd wait until later in the week, maybe next week, until they have a known working and properly proven firmware update. If you were to have flashed the drives with the 'bad' firmware - it would disable any read/write functions to the drive, but the drive would still be accessible in BIOS and a very good chance that flashing it back to a previous SD formware (or up to the yet to be released proven firmware) would make it all better.

On the botched firmware update:

It was never designed to be a public release. The script checks two things.. to make sure it's a BRINKS or a MOOSE drive, and to check the model number. If you get the firmware from the torrents (it's out there) and tear it apart with uniextract, you can see the batch file and what it checks for. It's a program that was built back in the 90's and used ever since! You remove those 2 checks, and it'll happily flash that IBM or Western Digital drive with the seagate firmware as well.

On what "Brinks" is:

As far as "BRINKS" "MOOSE" "GALAXY" etc.. are concerned, they are pretty much the internal development names of the drive family. There can be overlap, but most "BRINKS" drives are 7200.11, I believe, while "MOOSE" drives are almost all 7200.10, and "GALAXY" drives are 7200.9. Generally, those names don't make it out into public, but if you were to tear into the SD1A firmware, you'll notice that it looks for the "BRINKS" drive before it flashes the firmware to the drive. There can be different internal names for different revisions of the drive itself, but generaly they stick to one revision per family - a new internal name would only be used for a MAJOR revision on the drive.

Clarification from another poster on slashdot:

Actually, Moose and Brinks are both 7200.11 (the model numbers are different though), while Galaxy is 7200.10. 7200.12 is Pharaoh IIRC.

For example, all 7200.11 1TB drives with the model number ST31000333AS are Brinks drives, with 3 disks, while all ST31000340AS drives are Moose, with 4 disks. That having been said, as far as I know, all other times that the internal name has changed, the external name has as well - I.E. all 7200.10s are Galaxy, all 7200.12 are Pharaoh. I don't know any older than Galaxy though, so I can't be certain.

Hope that helps. Now I'm waiting for a whole bunch of drives to be eventually flashed when the firmware update comes up which hopefully this time, isn't a muddled mess.

Add:

The problem can only occur if a power cycle initialization occurs when the Event Log is at 320 or some
multiple of 256 thereafter. Once a drive is in this state, an end user will not be able to resolve/recover
existing failed drives. Recovery of failed drive requires Seagate technical intervention. However, the
problem can be prevented by updating drive firmware to a newer version and/or by keeping the drive
powered on until a newer firmware version is available.

Note that in order for a drive to be susceptible to this issue, it must have both the firmware revision that
contains the issue, have been tested through the specific manufacturing process, and be power cycled.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 21, 2009 04:44PM
I think I see the situation, but i'm no engineer, so my word isn't gold.

>this is a log file that's written only occasionally

>It'll only stop responding IF the drive is powered up with log file #320 being the latest one written

Put these two together. The log file is written to once every few days, and we shut down our machines every day. It may not be so rare that after a few months, you're powering up the machine at the #320 log file, resulting in a brick.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 22, 2009 09:43AM
Alright. Firmware upgrade has been released again. Clone your drives and proceed cautiously.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 22, 2009 11:16AM
NOTE:

Firmware for the 1.5TB Seagate HDDs has not yet been released - triple check that the firmware you are downloading is the one specifically for your HDD!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 23, 2009 09:52PM
Seems it will only run on Intels with Bootcamp which comes with Leopard (can we confirm this, Mike? The Seagate support here is probably on Chinese New Year hols already)

Anyway, here it is:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/seagate_hd_failures.html#guide

Guide to applying Seagate Firmware Updates on Intel-Based Mac: Although some previous posts last year included notes on applying Seagate firmware updates with intel-based Macs (burning Seagate updater ISO image to CD, booting from CD to apply the update, etc.) here's a Guide from a reader that recently updated his Seagate 7200.11 drive with the latest SD1A firmware update released by Seagate. (He has a Mac Pro - but this should also work for intel-based iMacs.)

Note this requires the Seagate drive to be on the onboard SATA bus (not in a FW case, etc.) - and as mentioned before - there's currently no Seagate updaters for PPC Macs (they've never released an updater that runs under Mac OS)

"Updating Seagate SATA Drive firmware updates in Mac Pro
1. Download the matching firmware update file. (sometimes in the past Seagate support has sent links/codes to download updates)

2. Burn a CD-ROM from that ISO image with Toast or the Finder. If you don't know how (edit: read the next post)

4. Shut down the MacPro with the CD-ROM inside the tray.

3. Remove all drives and move the drive you want to update in bay one (the nearest to the CD-ROM Drive) (FYI - the lone drive/bay 1 note is a common tip from the past - but I had one Mac Pro owner say using the latest SD1 updater he updated several installed drives. But if in doubt, follow the older rules.)

4. Press the on/off button and press C on the keyboard.

5. After awhile your mac boots from the CD and the display looks like a DOS machine. (Command line/text) First read the info shown on the display. It is the same as in the read me text file.

6. After reading the info, you have to hit any key and the updater moves to the next screen.

7. Now you have to select the update option. For the matching type of hard drive, you have to select a letter. (In my case "C" for updating the ST311000340AS.)

8. After sending the binaries (updated firmware) to the drive, there should be a successful response. If not refer, to the troubleshooting section in the read me.

9. After successful update is noted, Press any key and the MacPro shuts down.

10. On the first powerup after the update, hold down the mouse button to eject the updater CD-ROM.

11. After OS X boots, check Apple System Profiler to ensure that everything is ok and that the updated drive's "revision" shows the updated firmware revision.
(In my case "SD1A"winking smiley

www.strypesinpost.com
January 23, 2009 09:54PM
How to burn with Disk Utility:

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=201431

MacOS Disk Utility

Insert a blank disc.

From the Desktop, click on Utilities (or in some cases, Applications, and then Utilities).

Launch Disk Utility.

From the File menu, choose Open Disk Image.

Select the ISO image to be burned.

In the list of volumes, you will now see an item representing the ISO file. Select it.

Click the Burn button and follow the instructions.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 25, 2009 09:45AM
The other firmware for other models has been released...

[seagate.custkb.com]

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Models:

ST31500341AS
ST31000333AS
ST3640323AS
ST3640623AS
ST3320613AS
ST3320813AS
ST3160813AS

January 28, 2009 03:17AM
Hello guys,
Just to be sure that i understand perfectly the situation with those seagate drives. If you dont do the firmware update, its 100% sure that in a really near futur, all our seagate drives will hit that 320th log file than once shuted down, the next morning we power on they'll never mount again ?

Thx.
January 28, 2009 03:40AM
I'm not too sure how frequent the log file is written to (and i'm also no engineer). Basically, if the drive is on and writes past those certain log files, you're safe until it hits the x multiples.

The way I see it, not updating the firmware, if your drive is one of those affected, is like working with a time bomb, especially if you frequently power cycle your drives...

Also, make sure you back up everything on your drives (or clone them) before updating anything (same with any quicktime, OS or final cut update).

www.strypesinpost.com
January 28, 2009 09:15PM
A more specific to Mac fix

[www.macnn.com]

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
January 29, 2009 03:45PM
I flashed the firmware on 3 of the 500gig drives Tuesday and it went smoothly for all three. However, erring on the side of caution, I popped out all of the other drives on my Mac Pro, used the drive sled from one of those to mount each of the three drives individually, and swapped each of the drives in and out of the MP one at a time to do the updates. Booted from the .iso firmware disk. Major PITA, but everybody seems happy now.
February 16, 2009 02:59PM
I had just bought two 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda drives from Other World Computing, before reading this posting. So, I can send them back, but what is a reliable brand to replace them with?
February 16, 2009 08:33PM
Basically make sure you're on the latest firmware for the Barricudas.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 17, 2009 12:16PM
Thanks, but I am sending the drives back. So, what brand seems to be the most reliable? Hitachi?
February 17, 2009 12:28PM
Yep Hitachi have a very good Rep - the DeskStar Series with 32MB Cache

I have about 20 of these all still working solidly from 2 to 4 years old.

I also have 10 Samsung SpinPoint F1s but they are only 1 year old.

I do have 4x 1.5TB Barracudas but not updated the Firmware yet...

February 17, 2009 01:06PM
You really do not have to send them back ya know... just update the firmware. So they made a boo-boo. Seagate is still in the top 2 most trusted drives in our biz. I'll keep buying them that's for sure. I second Ben's Hitachi recommendation. Hard to kill these buggers grinning smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics