Gradient and Solid Add Blends in FCP

Posted by J.Corbett 
Gradient and Solid Add Blends in FCP
January 26, 2009 08:20PM
I am experimenting with looks to make filter packs and have foundation packs for looks.

I saw a tutorial on Creative Cow about the film look. He was using AE but i was trying to recreate it in fcp.

I used a gradient on a shot where at the bottom of the frame, there was a lot of black at the bottom of the screen. At the the top of the frame there were some framed paintings with glass on the wall. In 3 of the paintings there was a glare but that glare was at the very top.

I tried to use a gradient to give it less of a glare. The gradient went from bottom to top horizontally. with the bottom as white. Then I switched the custom generated gradient to composite mode ADD.

The paintings looked great at the top but the white bottom turned my nice clean, hard blacks to light grey and basically added a white fog to the colors at the bottom.

I switched to black at the bottom and then the black were too deep. I tried to pick a corlor but which ever one I tried gave me haze from that color.

I then tried a solid. This did the same thing. When the top of the frame looked good, the bottom didn't and in reverse also as I tried different colors.

I am sure the gradient is the way to go, but how do I negate the haze over the black?

I need the gradient to go from black at the top to transparent at the bottom . ( I think. )

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Gradient and Solid Add Blends in FCP
January 27, 2009 04:07PM
If you're going to refer to a tutorial, you need to provide links. Which tutorial was it?

www.strypesinpost.com
January 27, 2009 04:19PM
I'm having a hard time imagining a less suitable platform than Final Cut for doing this kind of work.

Excel, maybe.

January 27, 2009 04:27PM
I was thinking internet explorer

www.strypesinpost.com
January 27, 2009 04:31PM
Or Tetris.

January 27, 2009 04:39PM
Playstation, but that sounds like Joey's department...

www.strypesinpost.com
January 27, 2009 04:44PM
Leave me outa this the finger smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 27, 2009 05:00PM
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do, but just to answer your request: I need the gradient to go from black at the top to transparent at the bottom, you can apply the free filter Make Transparent to the gradient generator: this filter changes white areas of any clip into transparent areas.

Piero
January 27, 2009 06:33PM
Nice plug-ins, Piero. Well done. smiling smiley

January 27, 2009 10:59PM
Thanks Piero.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
January 27, 2009 11:56PM
ooh! Wow! You made a clone and stamp tool too? Awesome, Piero!

www.strypesinpost.com
January 28, 2009 12:08AM
Great stuff Piero. Thanks so much. I will tell the world in next newsletter.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 28, 2009 01:35AM
Thanks guys... I hope these plugins are of some use.
I wrote couple of them (Field Selector, Channels) as a help to debug other plugins, but I'm not sure they may actually be useful also for video editing. Value Tester, instead, inspired by Joe Maller, obviously is just for fxscript coders.

Piero
January 28, 2009 07:45AM
Thats excellent Piero, very smart idea.
Thanks for sharing,
Andy
January 28, 2009 09:57AM
Yep That did the trick. Thanks Peiro.

""""
January 28, 2009 10:00AM
Take the time and spell people's names correctly, please. You do this to everybody. If people take the time to give you correct information, you should take the time to get their names right.

www.derekmok.com
January 28, 2009 11:52AM
You original method would work, you were just using the wrong blend mode. You should use multiply, which will ignore the white areas. You also can tone down the effect by not using blacks and using greys, or dropping the transparency of the clip in the timeline.

I use this method with the custom gradient generator quite frequently, especially to make nice looking vignettes inside of FCP. Here's what I mean... [www.fcsoutlet.com]
January 28, 2009 05:22PM
Thanks Scott that actually worked better. It looks softer. and less edgy.

I was good the other way but this is the process i was looking for.

HERE IS THE ORIGINAL AE TUTORIAL.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics