WARNING ! : 1TB SEAGATE DRIVES

Posted by Francois-Michel 
WARNING ! : 1TB SEAGATE DRIVES
January 27, 2009 12:03AM
For the last few months, we got a lot of troubles with seagate drives, in fact we got troubles especially with those 1TB SEAGATE drives.

Several of our RAID TOURS crashed and a couple of single drives busted.

We have contacted our supplier and after some research here is what he said to us :

There is a firmware problem with those drives and seagate is aware of that. When you shut down a MAC it is possible that on the last block of the drive it will wrote '' No Boot''. Than the next time you power up, the drive wont mount in any way.

I dont have a lot of knowledge in terms of drives and firmware vocabulary and my english is not that good but i think its a good summary of what our supplier explain to us.

Since it caused a lot of troubles for us, i just wanted to let you guys know and maybe you could do some more deep reseach about that.
Re: WARNING ! : 1TB SEAGATE DRIVES
January 27, 2009 12:31AM
Look at the sticky at top of this forum

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 27, 2009 05:01AM
He he sorry guys...i guess its because my last visit was a long time ago...didnt take the time to watch everything.
January 27, 2009 03:13PM
Francois, what you posted sounded like multiple drive failures. Do they happen at and around the same time? And are these software RAIDs or are they hardware RAIDs? And do you power off the RAIDs or just the mac?

www.strypesinpost.com
January 28, 2009 08:30PM
Well 3 months ago we buyed about 20 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drives. In my everyday job, i have to make sure that all editors in there editing room have enough space for the upcoming digitize process and upcoming online render and so on. I do all the maintenance of our editing room in terms of software and hardware so i play with drives a lot. Sometime they need Little RAID ( 2 drives) mounted in hot swappable cases sometimes i got to prepare big RAID towers like 8 drives RAID Tower.

So 3 months ago (approximatively) a 2 drives raid crashed. The RAID was pretty packed up, i mean he was really below the 10% recommended free space so i thought maybe that didnt help. But 2 days after, a 8 drives tower crashed as well. So i began to freaked out a bit. We buyed 2 new SAS tower mounted in RAID 5 and used 2 areca raid 6 sata 2 cards...that way, those tower mounted in RAID 5 had protection...thats what we thought. A couples of days later a drive in those new tower crashed and the protection didnt worked. Normally when a tower is mounted that way if a drive crashed he is baked up immediatly and you can even still work with the tower, in that particular case it didnt worked.

So we started to really freak out. We called our supplier and buyed new drives to back up everything, those drives were 1TB Barracuda ES.2 and NS. As you guessed, one of the ES.2 (or NS i dont remember) crashed as well. We called back our supplier and by puting pressure on him he started to reveal the truth about a bad batch of drives, the worst part is that he knew about it but didnt said it at first to us instead he sold to us drives that were suppose to be able to run 24/24 7/7. Looking back now it make sense since he knew that the more you power on/off those deffect drives the more chances you got to make them crashed.

Well thats about it.
January 28, 2009 09:15PM
A more specific to Mac fix

[www.macnn.com]

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
January 30, 2009 09:52AM
Thanks for the info, Francois.

>Looking back now it make sense since he knew that the more you power on/off those deffect
>drives the more chances you got to make them crashed.

Not sure if it's fact or fiction, but usually the RAIDs I work off are kept running 24/7, as having them on constantly is supposed to preserve their shelf life. Not sure if this is fact or fiction or it depends on the type of drive (okay, definitely not anything without a good cooling fan system).

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics