Having problems with transitions & deinterlacing!!!

Posted by dvdjsteve 
Having problems with transitions & deinterlacing!!!
January 29, 2009 01:48AM
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum. I searched the problem I am having but couldn't find anything. When I am working with some video clips in final cut pro, I will drop an effect between two clips. The problem I am having is that the transition is not deinterlaced. You can still see the black bars inside the transition. The video clips are fine. I dropped the deinterlace filters on the videos and still the transitions are interlaced. I am working with dv files in final cut. The transitons I am using are from fxfactory. Anyone know why this is happening to me?

thanks in advance
Re: Having problems with transitions & deinterlacing!!!
January 29, 2009 01:54AM
Where are you watching the video, and is the video going out for web?

That said, interlacing is a video format, not a video problem. If you are sending it out for DVD or broadcast, keeping the interlace is ideal.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 29, 2009 01:54AM
Go to the Sequence Settings and set the field dominance to none. You can do this in item properties.
January 29, 2009 01:58AM
thanks for the replys. The videos I am making are to be played on tv's, flat screen tv's & projectors. tom i will try that and see if it workssmiling smiley thanks
January 29, 2009 02:01AM
tom your a genius..... that worked!!!

thanks a million!!
January 29, 2009 02:18AM
Hmm.. That doesn't sound right if the source footage is interlaced.

Switching the sequence dominance to "none" in FCP 6 automatically deinterlaces footage, if they were interlaced to start with, resulting in a loss of resolution. Also all transitions, motion effects will be progressive.

With interlaced footage, it's best to keep the interlace and deinterlace only when you're going out for web or projected screenings. Having your sequence set to interlaced, will result in FCP creating an interlaced output on renders (eg. speed ramps, transitions, etc), which isn't an issue if your footage is interlaced to start with and is going out for broadcast/DVDs, since TVs are designed to play interlaced footage or have a way to deal with interlaced footage.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 29, 2009 12:19PM
I would have the same problem. What I do is not only have the clip highlighted when I add the Deinterlace, but the transition highlighted too. Even if you deinterlace the clip then add a transition, I find that I have to delete the effect then highlight the clip and transistion, then apply the deinterlace again.
January 30, 2009 05:50AM
>What I do is not only have the clip highlighted when I add the Deinterlace, but the transition
>highlighted too.

If you need to deinterlace your clips, either do it in Compressor (or a dedicated deinterlacing software) which may produce better quality, OR insert it straight into the sequence, but set sequence field dominance to "none".

The 2nd option automatically deinterlaces your clips (without applying any additional filter) if FCP detects the source to be interlaced (I think this is a new addition in FCP 6). You do not want to deinterlace your footage twice. Also, all motion effects created in the sequence will be progressive.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 30, 2009 08:36AM
how do you automatically deinterlace your clip?
January 30, 2009 09:09AM
When you insert an interlaced clip into a sequence with field dominance set to "none", the clip is deinterlaced on playback and on export to tape.

If the clip requires rendering or "recompress all frames" is checked on export, the clips are deinterlaced on export.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 30, 2009 10:47AM
will do
thanks Strypes
July 07, 2017 01:54AM
It seems that the deinterlacing did not work at all. Switching the sequence dominance to none then you will know what to do next. If still not working, you would better use VLC [www.videolan.org] to play the video clip. You can find deinterlacing option in the top toolbar. Or find third party programs like Deinterlacer Free [www.videoconverterfactory.com] to convert the deinterlaced into the progressive which also helps to improve output quality.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics