Zooming in a timelapse image sequence

Posted by alwerj 
Zooming in a timelapse image sequence
February 03, 2009 10:58AM
Does anyone have any input on how to zoom in and/or pan in an image sequence? I'm trying to retain full 1920x1080 resolution through out. My source frames are 3872x2592. It seems quicktime pro doesn't even offer the ability to zoom in on the frame and export the cropped version. I thought about creating a 2K sequence exporting it as a self-contained file, and dropping it into a ProRes sequence, that should give me a little room to move around but not as much as I would like. Any input?

Thanks-Al
Re: Zooming in a timelapse image sequence
February 03, 2009 11:03AM
Use Motion, Shake or After Effects.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 03, 2009 01:41PM
Thanks Ben, do you know how to create an image sequence in Motion 3? When going to the file browser and import, the image sequence check box is grayed out...any input?
February 03, 2009 03:03PM
Well, first, it has to be formatted properly, ie 001-002-003 at the end of the filename and so on, and they all have to be the same frame size. In the Import Menu, there is a button that you can check that says Image Sequence, if it's greyed out, click on the one of the images and it should become clickable

Also, at the bottom of the file browser inside Motion, not the import menua, you can tell motion to import an image sequence as a single movie clip by hitting the button and the bottom right that looks like stacked folders
February 03, 2009 03:12PM
I already tried to select the first photo but the image sequence tab was still greyed out. It may be that the file names are not acceptable. Initially the file names were too small now perhaps they are too large. Is there a way to select a lot of pictures and do a batch re-name of sorts? Also at the bottom of the file browser I only have the "view image sequence as collapsed" tab (the stacked folder tab), I don't see any option for importing as a movie clip. When importing as a movie clip does it automatically transcode the image sequence to the project settings (i.e HDV), or can you retain the full resolution of the photos for the movie clip?
February 03, 2009 03:24PM
Just found this piece of software for anyone interested in being able to rename batches of files. It works great and re-naming the files opened up the image sequence tab...I think no number in the suffix can be less than 3 characters, I had my sequence begining with two...i.e: Ice01.jpg.

[www.publicspace.net]
February 03, 2009 03:38PM
There's another piece of software that everyone already has that does the same thing, it's called Automator. In addition to allowing you to script actions, it had a pretty slick batch rename ability that does the trick real well.

But yes, all Image Sequences must have 3 characters throughout. And view image as collapsed tab treats the images as one source file, at whatever dimensions the file is at. Motion doesn't change media to match the project sequence.
February 03, 2009 05:25PM
i saw automator in action, renaming files, once.

it wasn't very good.
took forever.
seemed as if files were being re-named one-by-one.

i use an app called R-Name.

a bit hard to find,
but very simple to use, and lightning fast.

nick
February 03, 2009 05:30PM
> i use an app called R-Name.

So do I, but not surprisingly -- I dug it up on Nick's recommendation. I think R-Name is better than what I've seen of the "A Better Finder Rename" application referenced above. R-Name is streamlined, yet has a great number of very useful, very practical features. And an almost non-existent learning curve; I was able to hit the ground running with it. I recommended it to three other editors and two assistants and they all sighed in contentment.

> a bit hard to find,
> but very simple to use, and lightning fast.

Yeah, it's no longer available. But it was always freeware, so if you want it, I can e-mail it to you.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics