OT: FCP as a Live Replay Machine

Posted by J.Corbett 
OT: FCP as a Live Replay Machine
February 08, 2009 05:24PM
Can i use FCP as a live replay machine? Like say i am using 4 cams to a switcher and the switcher out to both fcp and another capture system.

then a guy dunks a ball and i escape capture to pull the dunk out and replay 10 - 15 sec later. The action is still being caught thru the other capture system and once the replay is played i can back into the capture now mode.

OR is there another system or software i need?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: OT: FCP as a Live Replay Machine
February 08, 2009 05:26PM
Final Cut does not work that way. Final Cut is an editing system.

(Corbett, please mark off-topic questions with "OT."winking smiley

February 08, 2009 06:30PM
You want Softron Movie Recorder or any other of it's ilk.
[www.softronmedia.com]
February 08, 2009 11:30PM
There is Mac software that might interest you.
[www.virtualvtr.com]
This will let you play a quicktime movie while it is still being recorded.

In the end you would be much better served to rent a disk system that is purpose built for replays and slo-mo.

This the the system used by most sports productions:
[www.evs.tv]

I would recommend Bexel as a place to rent these systems, they have a large number of them.
[www.bexel.com]

-Vance
February 09, 2009 03:20PM
Corbett your best bet is to use an EVS. It is also an art form that is completely different than FCP editing. One of my event directors handles all of the EVS for Swedish Hockey... amazing....

Steve

FCPX
FCP 7.0.3
Premier CS6

MBP Retina 2.6i7 16GB / iMac 27" 3.4i7 16GB
February 09, 2009 03:25PM
I am looking into the suggestions now. Need a reasonably inexpensive method.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
February 09, 2009 03:30PM
Here is another replay server that I have seen advertised. I have no experience with them, nor do I know if you can rent one.

I suspect this unit would be available at a significant discount to a full on EVS system.

-V
[www.buftek.com]
February 10, 2009 09:09PM
I am an EVS operator when I'm not editing (actually I use them both together quite often.) Before EVS and it's ilk I was a tape operator and did exactly what you describe. Generally you have 3 or 4 machines and one is always taping. The other is your 'breakaway' record and you might have another to cue and roll taped pieces off of. Sounds like you should just rent a couple of tape machines, no? This would be the simplest and, most likely, cheapest solution. It can't cost that much to rent a couple of digibetas and buy some tape stock.

I am not sure if you can or can not do this with a couple of FCP boxes? My instinct tells me this would be a poor bet though perhaps possible. IMO, all of the above advice is right on. I'm not 100% sure, perhaps V could say, but I think Bexel could also get you a price for renting some tape machines. Whatever you do, test it thoroughly. Doing live TV is like playing in a band. You only get one chance to do it right.
February 10, 2009 10:16PM
Andrea is right, you can use tape machines for this. I always hated using them, because while you are holding a cued replay you run the risk of missing recording something important. Overlapping records fix this, but not many shows can afford to have two machines for every replay angle.

EVS systems continue to record while you cue up playbacks.

If you do rent tape machines also consider renting slo-mo controllers for them as well. You can use most tape machines front panel controls to do replays, but a controller will make it faster and more convenient to find, cue and control your play outs.
February 11, 2009 03:30AM
Ash Vale were a company that made Slow Motion controllers for VTRs - got to be able to pick those up cheaply!

I think you need PictureReady to enable VirtualVTR to play back a quicktime that is still recording. www.gallery.co.uk - Probably could be fairly cheap if you used old G5's - and no tape stock required.

It's used for the Tour de France in the UK - feeds FCP stations, linear tape suites and plays directly to air, AIUI.

The BBC have an open source system, ingex, that *could* work for multiple recordings within one PC - search for it on sourceforge.
February 11, 2009 06:59AM
The Picture Ready has passed by me a few times but it is kinda expensive though needed. Not as pricey as other options though. Renting a set up is more expensive in the long run.

I'd like to own the technology and not rent.

adelena's idea is sorta what i had in mind. I wanted to set up 2 capture streams after the switcher and jut have one set up as a punch record. This way when i break from recording i can just load the clip to the viewer and pull the replay.

Only one stream has to be constant and i only need to pull from 1 overhead cam that me and my assistant will control. If it works then we start figuring the total system price. Its hockey so there is not a whole lot of replays other than the scores (5 or less), a few saves and the fights.

I am testing something out this friday with 2 fcp laptops to see if i can make it work. I am pretty fast on the pull and play. They are linear right now, so i am trying to upgrade them by showing what a new system can do. So at practice i am gonna try the picture ready demo and my homemade version.

The cameras they have are so old i can remember anyone using them. (BETA somethings)

I convinced them to get a set of hpx170s which should be here next week. (They wouldn't go for the 500 version. )

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics