Recommendations for Mic Preamp

Posted by Bob Rice 
Recommendations for Mic Preamp
February 09, 2009 04:18PM
Ran this query past the rather quiet Soundtrack forum with no replies. I know I can do better with the brilliance that populates this one.

I'm getting ready to assemble a voice recording set up. Budget is limited, so I can't go crazy, but I also need excellent quality voice recordings. Though most recordings will be for podcasts, many users will have decent quality headphones when they listen. Hum, static, thin voices, and otherwise crappy audio won't fill the need.

I have a studio quality mic (Sennheiser stick is one of them) already, but want to replace or augment it. The first issue I have is getting audio levels high enough for high quality recording into Soundtrack and a low noise floor. I tried out the ART series preamp, and found it functional with a reasonably warm result in the voice. However, the S/N ratio is too narrow.

The mics I'm using now give me excellent audio for my video recordings when hooked directly to the cameras.

I have no preference whether I go with Line In or USB, but I'm likely to need it to be one or the other rather than a new sound card. Still, I don't want to discount that latter option if that's the better way to do.

What recommendations do you have for:
- A mixer/preamp that will give me a strong enough output and low noise.
- Mic for excellent voice recordings (I'm not using it for anything else)
- Soundcard if that's the best option
- If you have suggestions for a solid USB mic, I'd like to hear about that too. I'm okay with dumping the preamp idea if I can get the results I need from a USB mic.

In each case, I need to be careful with my budget, so I'm looking to get max bang for the buck, not a Cadillac.

Thanks,

Bob Rice
Frameworx Media

bob rice
frameworx media
Re: Recommendations for Mic Preamp
February 09, 2009 04:55PM
Hi Bob,

There are about a million directions you can take here - The primary differences in mic preamps are subtle. If set up and used properly, all of the major brand mic preamps will give you a signal/noise ratio with a noise floor below what can be detected by human beings.

If you are getting hum, static, and thin voices from mics that work well when hooked directly to a camera you probably have some sort of connection problem. Either you've got an impedance matching problem, a broken or poor connection, or you aren't dealing properly with mic vs. line levels.

This could be pretty easily solved with a console like this: Alesis MultiMix 8USB.

A console like this one contains reasonably good mic preamps, tone controls, and some audio routing capabilities that will come in really handy. And, it has a USB interface which will eliminate the chance of getting noise in the connection between the console and computer. Make sure you microphone has balanced-line xlr-type connections.

USB microphones work quite well, but you get zero flexibility in hookup.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
February 09, 2009 05:07PM
it all depends on your budget.

i have an old powerbook G4 connected via firewire to a digidesign digi002 rack, dod headpnone amp and furman power conditioner all in a 4 space rack and a rode nt2 (a mic many have compared to a neumann u87) and ive yet to have anyone complain about my sound quality.

im not sure what you mean by sennheiser "stick" - but im pretty sure its not the best vocal mic a fella could choose...
February 09, 2009 06:39PM
SoundDevices USBPre ... rock solid, never fails me.
www.sounddevices.com/products/usbpremaster.htm
The Tascam FW-1082 might be a little bigger than what you were looking for, but she's a doozy.
www.tascam.com/products/fw-1082.htm
February 10, 2009 07:15AM
To Travis, Wayne, and Andy -- thanks for your advice. It will be enormously helpful.

Wayne, the Sennheiser stick I referred to is a studio quality mic (similar to their MKH 418) commonly seen dangling over actor's heads in movie studios. The quality is there. That's the reason for my interest in improving the crappy interface I currently have between that and my Mac.

I'll check out all your recommendations and report back later what I end up with and how it works out.

Bob Rice
Frameworx Media

bob rice
frameworx media
February 10, 2009 10:55AM
[www.bhphotovideo.com]

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
February 11, 2009 07:26PM
I have a great little Sound Devices MP-2 up on eBay right now, but since the budget is tight AND you need the computer interface as well, I think the USBPre is a great suggestion. You can't go wrong with ANY SD device.
February 13, 2009 02:26AM
Two suggestions: an MBox2, or a Wendt X2. I have both; both are excellent, IMHO.
February 13, 2009 06:55AM
i second the mbox 2 and PT if you have the 569.00 to get it. It would easily become the goto vocal recording software. You would need a pre-amp then because you can create one a hundreds of ways with the mbox.

I comes with an ignition pack which includes reason (music composition), T-racks (eqs), and a bunch of vocal sweetening plugs. It also records directly to .aiff so no converting for fcp.

Its better than Logic for sound edits and its expandable. I have the mbox1, mbox2, and in my sound studio we have PT TDM.

I also think that there is a Mbox that runs about 489.00 with less plugs. It will work just as well also.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
February 13, 2009 07:08AM
oopss 799.00 for mbox 2 pro and 495.00 for the mbox 2.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics