how to capture at 59.97 for slow motion using dvx100a

Posted by bigcurt2000 
how to capture at 59.97 for slow motion using dvx100a
February 12, 2009 02:39AM
I can't seem to capture video at 59.97 to give a slow motion effect when I move it down to 24p. Then 40% speed. I keep getting a "general error" when try to capture at 60i. I'm new to this so bear with me.. (OVERCRANKING)

my camera is dvx100a!
Re: how to capture at 59.97 for slow motion using dvx100a
February 12, 2009 08:55AM
Can't really be done. To make a psuedo slowmo with the DVX100 on a 24p timeline, you should shoot in 60i and capture in 29.97 not 59.94. Then change the speed of that speed of that clip so that it plays back slow.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
February 12, 2009 09:26AM
Noah, The only way i know to shoot 60i on a dvx100 is to give up progressive anything. I have some dvx100b's and it has only a choice of 60i, 30p, 24p, and 24pa. I shoot 30p like a religion. (90%)

With that said, how can you get 60p on the darn thing? Is it done in post?

I have been trying to shift fields and run 60i thru compressor to get a 60p look. No success so far. I wanted to do the slowmo thing plenty of times but it looks terrible most of the time.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
February 12, 2009 09:46AM
Yeah that's the thing- this is a 60i/24p/30p camera. If you want 60p you'd need an HVX200 or an HPX170. Or get a plugin such as

[www.revisionfx.com]

or

[www.nattress.com]

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
February 12, 2009 09:51AM
As far as I know, the only correct way to faux-overcrank 60i to 24p is with After Effects. If you tell After Effects to interpret your 60i footage as separate fields, it will do the Right Thing? when you retime it by 250%, separating out each field of 60i and interpolating it up to a whole frame of 24p. This throws away half your vertical resolution, obviously, producing a slightly soft end product, but it works remarkably well for what it is.

In fact, I recently did a project where I took 60i footage (B-roll of Grant Park shot on election night) and retimed it to 24p using this technique, then rendered it out of After Effects with pulldown to cut it into a show that was otherwise all 60i. It worked very, very well. Better results than optical flow, and much faster.

But yes, it is a little bit of a pain, workflow-wise.

(I still haven't the foggiest idea why anyone would ever shoot 30p.)

February 12, 2009 10:07AM
AFX is not necessary- true FCP will make 60i into 24 fps on a 23.98 timeline but all you have to do is go in and adjust the speed settings of the clip to force it back to 60 fps and slow-motion.

Noah

February 12, 2009 10:15AM
Well, i shoot 30p a lot. The reason i do is that i don't like the 60i local news look and i am do not need a film look. 30p is kinda in between.

It doesn't give me the over exaggerated highlights like 60i and it doesn't over soften like 24p. Chroma pops very well in 30p, it seems and gives me cleaner edges than 60i.

Try recording 30p on a dvx100b and you will see that its pretty good as far as prosumer 1/3 chip sd goes. I have tried the other rates on my cam and i see no need for 60i other than maybe sd slowmo if it could get it to look right. lol

What would you say the problem with 30p is?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
February 12, 2009 10:44AM
Yeah I'm not into 30p, to my eyes it's not filmic like 24p nor immediate like 60i- which I'm also not a big fan of. 30p also completely bones you if you ever want to go out to film or a 24p master. Just about every TV show and movie today is mastered at 1080/24p for this reason.

Anyways, your original question was about slo-mo and 60i is the format to shoot for faux slow-mo on the DVX100 because it gives you 60 motion samples per second which is the closest you'll ever get to 60p. 30p could be used for a very subtle slow-motion effect in a 24p timeline too as it's 6 more frames per second.

If you're really into frame rate effects I'd suggest stepping up to a camera with over and under cranking built in, like the 170, 200 or the Sony EX1/EX3. The DVX100 is intended for regular speed video at 24p/30p/60i. The other cameras are designed for variable frame rates from 1-60fps over a 24p base.

Noah

February 12, 2009 11:06AM
I've tried that, Noah, but FCP doesn't do it right, at least in my experience. It frame-blends, which produced really ugly results for me. Maybe I did it wrong.

February 12, 2009 11:25AM
My problem with 30p is actually old news; I've gone into it at length in other threads here. But in short, it's this: 60i is the format for live TV, news and sports. That's what people are used to seeing. On the other hand, 24p is the format for scripted television and film. Again, that's what people are used to seeing. Shooting 30p gives you a motion quality that's unlike either; it doesn't have the immediacy of live television, but it doesn't have the right cadence or motion blur to be dramatic either. It ends up just looking wrong, like cheap home video.

More than anything, it's a factor of the shutter angle. For moving pictures, your shutter should always be 180°, unless you're making a specific artistic choice (see the Normandy Beach sequence in "Saving Private Ryan," for example). At 24p, your shutter is open for 1/48th of a second, which yields a very specific motion blur quality. At 60i, the shutter ? to the extent that video cameras can be said to have a shutter ? is open for 1/120th of a second, which gives very little motion blur, which defines that "live" look. But at 30p, your shutter is open for 1/60th of a second, which yields perceptible motion blur, but still less motion blur than 24p, which gives your footage a stuttery, jittery look.

The alternative is to open your shutter all the way up, to 1/30th of a second, which is something electronic cameras can do that film cameras can't. But that's too much motion blur, creating a streaky, afterimage-y look that the audience associates with home movies.

And of course, if you set your shutter to 90° at 30p, you get the 1/120th exposure of 60i, but at half the frame rate, which just makes everything look stroboscopic. Again, there might be artistic reasons to do that on purpose ? "artistic reasons" is a valid excuse for anything, eventually ? but your footage won't ever look right.

I guess it really boils down to a matter of preference. I don't like the 30p look, myself. But more than that, I've never had a client ask for that look. To the contrary, whenever the option has come up, I've never heard anybody in the industry say they like, or even tolerate, that look. And when I did some camera tests a few years back just to see what this whole "30p" thing was about, nobody who saw the footage reacted positively to it. Responses ranged from "it looks cheap" to "something's off but I can't put my finger on it."

Sorry for the derail. We now return you to our thread already in progress.

February 12, 2009 12:06PM
Jeff Harrell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've tried that, Noah, but FCP doesn't do it
> right, at least in my experience. It frame-blends,
> which produced really ugly results for me. Maybe I
> did it wrong.

Did you uncheck frame blending in the speed dialogue? Also converting to 24p and/or conforming to 24fps in CinemaTools first can help. it's frickin' alchemy and another reason why I like the varispeed cameras better. Ultimately it's impossible to get anything like great slow motion this way.

Noah

February 12, 2009 06:10PM
Read the Barry Green Book
it's in the docs
February 13, 2009 12:17PM
30p is actually pretty slick for the web, is that's your sole distribution format. It's clean, the motion is a nice blend between the overly real 60i and cinematic 24p, plus you never have to think about interlacing on graphics, etc.

Basically, if im shooting something in a controlled studio environment that is meant for web, podcast, interview, etc, we use 30p to get the live-studio type feel but a very different look than the home camcorder people can do on their own. Plus, we stay in a progressive environment the whole way through, the colors look great, and the motion feels very real and present. It's not for everyone but i think it's work well.

If we go out in the field or are shooting a documentary type of piece, then its 24p all the way. We want to dramatize the look and feel and also have longer legs then just web, i.e. dvd or broadcast. Also, they tend to be longer pieces so the slower fps makes it easier to compress to smaller files, which is always nice.
February 13, 2009 02:39PM
I am like 70% web. the rest is broadcast 30s -1m commercial or dvd. The 30p works nice for me on the web.

The 24p is something i haven't tried for the web yet. I have done it for some broadcast pieces in 24p but i hate the 60i unless its HD sports or news. I don't even think it looks good for reality shows. If it were me, i would use 60p or 30p for reality shows.

I will probably use 60p when i go hd.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics