hooking up hdtv to PowerMac G5

Posted by John Anderson 
hooking up hdtv to PowerMac G5
February 12, 2009 08:01PM
Hi,
I recently posted a request for information regarding hooking up two screens for editing. The responses were helpful. I borrowed an apple monitor from work and hooked it up to my Power Mac G5 1.8GHz. It worked fine but I discovered I really do not like two screens unlike most folks. I really would like one larger screen. The Apple 30" is way overpriced in my opinion and I have read that many people are happy with hooking up an hdtv or monitor from Dell or other companies. I think I would like something around 24" to 26".
Apparently if the screen gets too big images look bad.
I would appreciate feedback from anyone out there who might be able to steer me in the right direction or has some experience positive or negative regarding the use of other types of displays.
Re: hooking up hdtv to PowerMac G5
February 12, 2009 08:23PM
Dell is fine- not very accurate but fine if you're looking for cheap.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
February 12, 2009 08:38PM
I don't think I'd want to use an HDTV for my only/main monitor. But if you have to, take a look at the "Dell S2409W Full HD Monitor". But I would go for the "Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP 24-inch" monitor. I use the 2407WFP and been pretty happy with it.

Dell S2409W Full HD Monitor

Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP 24-inch
February 12, 2009 08:44PM
there is no way a tv is going to look as good as a monitor - they arent made to. thats why they are cheaper.

the dell ultrasharp 24" is a favorite here on the forum.
February 12, 2009 09:24PM
If you go with the Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP 24". It has DVI, HDMI and a Display Port connections. And is Full HD 1080p. It's ready for anything...
February 12, 2009 09:26PM
Yeah, except for turning itself on promptly. I just bought a couple of those displays for a new edit suite at my facility, and while they're basically okay, they drive me crazy by not waking up from power-save mode in less than four or five seconds.

Now I'm just nit-picking, but ? god, I love my Apple Cinema Displays.

February 12, 2009 11:32PM
I love the Apple displays as well, which makes this process frustrating.
I currently work on a 20" display, which has been excellent and crystal clear for five years.
I have probably become an Apple snob over the years.
Apparently the new 24" Apple display will not work on a Power Mac G5 like mine. At least that was what I was told at the Apple store?

I'll try and borrow a Dell 24"monitor and check it out tomorrow.
February 13, 2009 11:07AM
I just wanted to follow up on this post.
The Dell Ultra look great as does the Gateway 24".
However, I discovered from one Apple store manager that Apple will be coming out with new monitors in the next month to six weeks.
So I think I'll wait a bit longer.
Thanks to everyone who responded.
February 13, 2009 11:10AM
"Apple will be coming out with new monitors" is one of those old jokes. We went years between the classic Cinema Display range and the new monitor line.

Yes, I imagine Apple will be adding additional monitors to the new line ? the only one in that line at present is the 24". But first of all, nobody knows when, particularly Apple retail employees. And second, the new monitors have Display Port connectors on them, which can't be used with Macs with DVI sockets without expensive adapters. So that probably wouldn't be a good choice for you anyway, even if those monitors were available this afternoon.

February 13, 2009 01:02PM
i think youre putting in a lot of time effort into finding a poorly devised non-standard solution.

there is a reason that every video editor i know of uses 2, 20"-24" monitors. its the most realestate you can get for the money.
February 13, 2009 09:32PM
Your probably right but I find I always come out of these investigations all the wiser.
One of the courses I teach is stop-motion animation and "experimental" video. I am also responsible for ordering and maintaining all of the equipment. This forum has always provided a great resource, which I share with my students.
February 13, 2009 10:16PM

god, I love my Apple Cinema Displays.

Amen - I WOULD NOT trade my ADC 30" for even two 30" Dells!

I don't care what the users say about them - Dells are bloody cheap looking and I don't rate the display personally...

...and definitely do not use an HD TV LCD or Plasma for a computer monitor.

I have my old G5 hooked up to the HDTV for my Nephews to play WoW and do simple stuff but its not ideal for editing.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 13, 2009 11:06PM
Oh right, for you NEPHEWS to play WoW.. tongue sticking out smiley

February 14, 2009 04:31PM
Anyone out there have any experience with an NEC monitor?
I found a 26" for a reasonable price.
Also, Lacie has a 24" monitor that looked great hooked up to a Mac. Yes, both are expensive but there are deals out there if you look.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics