OT: Macbook Pro owners...

Posted by grafixjoe 
OT: Macbook Pro owners...
February 24, 2009 03:03PM
Hey all,

My 13-month old Macbook Pro's video card died today (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT). Out of warranty & freaking out? No. I purchased Applecare so it's a fully covered repair. It's in the shop for a week though sad smiley

What I stumbled upon today while researching this issue is fairly significant to the Macbook Pro owners community. The NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT has a defect in the processor that causes it to fail in 1 to 2 years. Because of this, Apple will repair it FREE OF CHARGE within 2 YEARS...even if it is out of warranty. Apple is ISSUING REFUNDS to those who paid for the repair.

READ THIS

This is off-topic...but I did have FCP on my laptop when they took it away on a stretcher sad smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: OT: Macbook Pro owners...
February 24, 2009 06:34PM
Joey... this happened to me under the Applecare warranty and I thought it was a fluke.... but this is good to know.
February 24, 2009 06:46PM
Happened to me too -- my local dealer - Mac Business Solutions in Gaithersburg, MD (an outstanding fix it and video resource) knew the problem instantly - knew Apple covered this even without Applecare - and had a board to install the next day - less than 24 hours -- you might be better sending your computers to them then waiting for the one week Apple turn around.

PS - you know the failure's coming far in advance from fluky sleep and wake up behavior - I thought it was something else until that board died
February 24, 2009 07:37PM

you might be better sending your computers to them then waiting for the one week Apple turn around.

My Apple Store guaranteed me if they fixed it in-house, they wouldn't have to wipe my hard drive as this repair has nothing to do with it (still see the entire HD in "Firewire Mode"winking smiley. They couldn't guarantee that if they sent it out. I'd rather wait than reinstall 140 GB of apps / plug-ins / content / just a ton more stuff.

Yeah...I have some freaky sleep issues leading up to this but they were very few & far between...thought it was nothing. It was fine the night before then woke up - black screen & no power to the DVI port / second monitor.

What sux about this and people that this WILL be happening to is that you can't bring it in until it goes bad and there's a 2 year "statute of limitations" on the free repair outside of Applecare.

February 24, 2009 09:23PM
Happened to me not too long ago. Been using the machine headless from my desktop while waiting to buy a new one. It's not too bad at least screen sharing still works. Still if I only had one machine I'd be dying.

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
February 24, 2009 09:31PM

I only had one machine I'd be dying.

Amen, brother. I feel naked without it. I didn't totally realize how much that machine actually does for me until was gone.

sad smiley

I wonder if they have visitors' hours in the Apple shop? Maybe a glass observation window that I press my nose against and watch the Mac Doctor fix her up?

* sniff *

February 24, 2009 09:57PM
Haw- yeah I'm currently working on a desktop machine with a MacBook Air on the way for machine 2. Then I have to figure out the best way to sync Home with Travel.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
February 25, 2009 03:52PM
I'll tell you what...my iPhone has been carrying my email load easily while the MBP is in the shop. Man, if Apple adds a few nice software pieces / updates to this...this could be an even more powerful tool for traveling.

February 25, 2009 04:13PM
Will we be editing video on the iPhone soon?

Scott
February 25, 2009 04:23PM
BETA Testing After Effects / Photoshop / Illustrator on my iPhone right now.

February 25, 2009 04:25PM
Wonder what's the benchmark speed for a 1 minute render in Compressor on an iPhone.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 25, 2009 06:16PM
And if you could somehow daisy chain them and get a really shiny tiny render farm...

February 25, 2009 07:57PM
You could put 4 - 16 gig iPhones in each of your jean pockets & daisy chain them...call it a "Pocket Render Farm".

February 25, 2009 10:38PM
Will AJA release a Kona Mini for the iPhone...

www.strypesinpost.com
February 26, 2009 01:32AM
anyone want to start a pool guessing when mine takes the big dump?
I've had it 10 months.

I bet it happens just when I land the client I have been after for 3 months.
February 26, 2009 05:51PM
Just picked up my MBP from the Apple Store after only 3 days (nice turnaround). They informed me that the repair (100% covered under Applecare) would have cost $1000 if it wasn't covered.

February 27, 2009 06:54AM
I use RenderHijack in my iPhone to find nearby computers with graphics cards and use them to do my ProApps rendering.

It's just a matter of finding enough Macs and PCs. I usally get real-time ProRes rendering for most effects. As a fallback I sometimes have to use the Amazon and Google Clouds for a bit of processing oomph.

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
February 28, 2009 11:33PM
Joey
There's really not much to see in the Genius room. A few machines getting repaired and a few waiting to be done those guys fix them pretty fast.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
March 01, 2009 08:43AM
That was a joke, Dean grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics