OT: The upres shoot-out

Posted by Gregory O'Toole 
OT: The upres shoot-out
February 26, 2009 11:09AM
Hey all

So the merits and shortcomings of Instant HD, compressor, etc have been debated ad-nauseum in the forum. What I am wondering is comparing hardware based upres techniques...

My feature length doc was just accepted to premiere at SXSW this year, and I've got to deliver an HDCAM tape. The film was shot letterboxed DV. I've talked to a couple of post houses and there seem to be three possibilities, along with three costs:

1) Terranex. Seems complicated. Pricey. Worth it compared to....

2) The HDcam deck built-in upconvertor. The guy at one post house says this is great. Two options:
a) give him an SD quicktime with the graphics burnt in, which he up converts
b) give him an SD quicktime of the show without graphics, and have him insert-edit HD versions of the graphics in order to not upres things that don't need to be upressed.

3) Software-based up conversion.

Does anyone have experience comparing the software vs. the deck vs. the terranex on the big screen? How much of a difference am I gonna see? Enough to warrant the pain in the ass and additional expense?

Thanks everyone!

greg
Re: The upres shoot-out
February 26, 2009 11:12AM
Greg,

Please begin posts not directly FCP-related with "OT:" (off-topic).

Thanks grinning smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: The upres shoot-out
February 26, 2009 11:15AM
will do joey!
Re: OT: The upres shoot-out
February 26, 2009 12:27PM
If you can afford it the Terranex cannot be beat by software upconversion.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
February 26, 2009 12:52PM
Noah -
Thanks for the response. I know the terranex beats out the software stuff, but how does it compare to the hdcam deck upconvert? Any idea?
Thanks!
greg
February 26, 2009 04:35PM
Terranex rules.

In any case, assuming that you make some sales, you will need a top quality version to get through QC at any TV station.

I have had two software versions turned down by QC.

Best

Harry
February 26, 2009 05:39PM
How does Terranex compare to HDCAM internal? It is better. It is the best way to do this. Second best would be Kona 3 and the deck option. Software is the LAST resort.

Question though. How can you output your show WITHOUT graphics to tape, and then making the graphics High Res, now insert those? You can't. You'd have to upres the footage, then recapture that HD version, add the graphics, then reoutput. Better quality graphics than straight DV upconvert, but then you have a couple generational losses on the tape side.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 26, 2009 06:22PM
>>The guy at one post house says this is great<<

I would press apon this guy to give me a 30 second example from my footage. Then you could see for yourself if this was a worthwhile option.

If you use the Terranex, you'll be sure of the results, though.

February 26, 2009 06:24PM
When the real world went from standard- to high-definition back in nineteen-dickety-two, the Lord God Almighty Himself used a Teranex to do the upconversion of reality.

February 27, 2009 12:22AM
What about that Topaz Lab stuff? Software, yes, but withj no bucks and plenty of time and cheap storage....

Eh?

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Toggle Dynamic Trim with Command-Shift-D!

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
February 27, 2009 01:02AM
We've got a bunch of smelly alchemists who do a pretty good job too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics