"Scan Lines" filter

Posted by shelleyrae 
"Scan Lines" filter
February 27, 2009 01:49PM
Is there a filter in FC effects that creates that scan line look that's so popular right now. You see it a lot on CNN and documentaries.

I saw a rather complicated tutorial on how to create the effect in Photoshop but seems like there would be a filter for that effect since it's so over used. (Not a fan myself, but my client likes it.)

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: "Scan Lines" filter
February 27, 2009 01:56PM
There's a Sapphire spark for this. I think it's in box 2. You can create the effect by hand, but not in Final Cut (or at least, not easily in Final Cut). The spark would probably be the fastest and easiest way to make your client happy.

February 27, 2009 04:54PM
In FCP check under Video Effects, Stylize, Bad TV.

-A
February 28, 2009 09:19AM
WOAH! That's built-in!? I had no idea. That's what I get for not looking at the built-in sparks for five years running.

(I still like the Sapphire one, myself, for what it's worth.)

February 28, 2009 10:46AM
It came with FCP 6. Lots of goodies...

www.strypesinpost.com
March 01, 2009 08:06AM
I did look at that one but I didn't want the rolling. But after seeing this response, I took another look at the FC Bad TV filter and realized I can make adjustments in the filters tab to get the effect I was after. Nice. Thanks.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
March 01, 2009 08:48AM

There's a Sapphire spark for this

Hope you have $1699 for the set (or $599 per box). I'd stick with tweaking BadTV. I could walk you through creating a page of lines in Photoshop that you can layer over footage. I use it a lot.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 01, 2009 09:35AM
Sparks ? or I guess in this context, plug-ins or whatever; I'm a slave to obsolete vocabulary ? pay for themselves pretty quickly when you have a client who wants such-and-such a clichéd effect and you can pull it off with one button.

Personally, I kind of enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to construct a particular effect on my own. It's fun. But sometimes there's virtue in just getting it done and moving on.

March 01, 2009 10:45AM
In addition to discovering that I can alter the "bad TV" filter in FC, I also found this tutorial to make your own, but the filter route seems much faster and easier.

But here's the tutorial link for anyone who is interested: [www.photoshopforvideo.com]

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
March 01, 2009 01:34PM
Shelley,

That's sort of what I was going to walk you through if you were interested...with about 10 less steps, but same result.

I have to commend you on searching & finding that tut though. Some folks don't take the initiative and research a bit on GOOGLE, etc. Kudos to you thumbs down

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics