Configuring for two flat screen monitors

Posted by shelleyrae 
Configuring for two flat screen monitors
March 01, 2009 06:44PM
Hi,

I'm trying to hook up a second flat screen monitor so that monitor #1 will be my workspace only and monitor #2 will show me full screen playback of my timeline as well as deck playback.

I have a mini DV deck connected to my computer via firewire and used to have an S out to an old broadcast monitor which showed me what was playing back in the deck as well as my canvas.

I want to replace the old broadcast monitor with the new flat screen, but now I can only get it to "mirror" the 1st monitor which is not what I want. I want to see what's playing in my canvas full screen on the second monitor. There is not an S input on this new monitor - just DVI which I've connected to the 2nd DVI port on my computer.

There must be a setting somewhere that will allow me to do this? I've looked in "displays" under System Preferences and also in the AV settings in FC but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Configuring for two flat screen monitors
March 01, 2009 06:47PM
The option you want is "Digital Cinema Desktop."

But be aware that this is not a good monitoring solution. If you're working in DV, odds are your old solution was better.

March 01, 2009 07:04PM
Hi Jeff,

Do you mean it's not good solution because of inaccurate color?

Most of my work is for the internet so with the old broadcast monitor when I color corrected to that monitor the colors were always washed out when played back on a computer.

I know I'm supposed to use a true broadcast monitor for color correcting but since most of my work is viewed on a computer I thought I'd try using a second computer monitor.

I have a smaller more accurate broadcast monitor that I can borrow when I'm doing broadcast work.

Or can you recommend another monitoring solution for both computer and broadcast that won't cost a fortune?

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
March 01, 2009 07:53PM
> Do you mean it's not good solution because of inaccurate color?

That, and also it's very hard to spot frame-rate problems on a computer monitor, and impossible to spot interlacing problems.

And take Jeff's advice:

> The option you want is "Digital Cinema Desktop."

This option is not the same as "blowing your Canvas full-screen". You don't get Range Check, Title Safe Overlays, Timecode Overlays, or Wireframes, for example. To get a "full-screen Canvas", you have to actually drag the Canvas window over and enlarge it by dragging its corner.

www.derekmok.com
March 01, 2009 08:03PM
Oh, I didn't think about the interlacing problems going undetected.

Maybe I should return the flat screen and get a true broadcast monitor. But then if a lot of my work is being displayed on the computer, I still have the problem of color correction looking one way on the broadcast monitor but too washed out when played back in a computer.

What is the solution for that?

And can you recommend a decent broadcast monitor under $500?

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
March 01, 2009 08:24PM
A second monitor has a lot of uses. For example, I'm working on a feature and our budget doesn't extend to an HD external monitor. Plus the classic advantage of having more screen real estate.

All we're saying is, recognize its limitations and don't use it for broadcast, or final colour correction. Using it for editing is perfectly sound.

> I still have the problem of color correction looking one way on the broadcast monitor but too
> washed out when played back in a computer.

To me, correcting on a computer monitor doesn't really fix this. Because you'll be looking at "false" colours. Every user's monitor is of a different brand and calibration, so you can't really anticipate this problem. Let's also remember that a lot of users -- and even some editors -- don't even realize that you can't blow up an SD-sized movie file, even a full-quality one, to a full computer screen without everything going soft.

www.derekmok.com
March 02, 2009 07:18AM
Understood.

That said, can you recommend some brands of broadcast monitors that are a good value?

I want to look into the costs and decide whether to keep the flat screen or return it and replace it with a good broadcast monitor.

I put my settings to "Cimema Display" like Jeff suggested and now monitor #2 shows full screen what's playing in the timeline while keeping all my workspace in tact on the first monitor -- But NOW I don't see any playback from the deck.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
March 02, 2009 08:16AM
Under $500? Heck no. The most economical broadcast monitor I know of is the Panasonic BT-LH1760, which streets for around $4,000. There are a lot of compromises. It's an LCD, so it can only simulate interlacing. But it simulates it fairly well, actually jittering on your jitter frames. It's only 720p native, but it scales down 1080 stuff reasonably well, and you can always hit a button on the front panel to zoom in to 1-to-1. It's also got a built-in waveform and vector scope, which are incredibly handy. In the room next door there's a BT-LH1700W, which goes for less at around $3,000, but I'm not sure what the trade-offs are. I know it lacks the built-in scopes.

If you need SD only, you might look around for a used Sony PVM, or even a BVM if you can get a really good bargain. PVMs are not that hard to find on the aftermarket if you're willing to live with analog monitoring. If you need SDI, the costs go up fast.

There are tons of reasons not to use a computer monitor as your broadcast monitor, though. It's not just color. In fact, I'd consider color to be the last thing on the list, since even high-end broadcast monitors don't show you accurate color unless you calibrate them carefully and regularly.

My personal list of reasons to go with a real broadcast monitor starts with interlacing. If you work with interlaced footage at all, you need a proper broadcast monitor so you can see, for example, field dominance problems. A computer monitor can't show you that at all, period. Then there's the fact that computer monitors are (at best) 8-bit devices, while television is usually 10-bit. So you'll see banding and color-resolution artifacts on your computer monitor that aren't really there in your footage.

If you work only in DV, then looping a television out of your camera or deck can be an okay way to preview your footage, if you accept that this only shows you a DV conversion. But if you want to work in any other formats, you'll run into the limitations of DV monitoring fast.

March 02, 2009 09:23AM
Currently I am only working in the DV format and do mostly internet marketing videos as well as DVD training videos. Does the interlacing problem carry over to DVDs that will be played back on TVs rather than computers? Or do I just need to be wary of videos that will air?

I was using a very old broadcast monitor which was not color accurate nor did it allow me to view anything in 16:9. Plus it was big and ugly. This is what motivated me to get a flat screen monitor. I knew about the problem with color correction but I do have access to a fairly decent color accurate broadcast monitor that I can borrow when I need to do serious color correction or broadcast work. Color correcting on the old, ugly monitor was very unreliable anyway.

Based on what I'm hearing, I think this is a good solution for me currently. It still bugs me that I can see what's playing in my deck on the second flat screen in Cinema Display mode.

I will invest in a good permanent monitor eventually.

I welcome any additional advice on this setup.

Thanks for your time,

Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
March 02, 2009 09:46AM
> Does the interlacing problem carry over to DVDs that will be played back on TVs rather than
> computers?

Emphatically, yes.

That's why you need an external monitor of some sort. If you get into the habit of checking your output DVDs only on a computer, sooner or later you'll get a nasty surprise from the QC of wherever the disc is going.

www.derekmok.com
March 02, 2009 09:49AM
I always check my DVDs on three TV different sets as well as another computer before sending out. If I don't notice anything weird then it should be fine, right?

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
March 02, 2009 10:02AM
> I always check my DVDs on three TV different sets as well as another computer before sending
> out. If I don't notice anything weird then it should be fine, right?

Unfortunately, DVDs are never 100 per cent verifiable, and DVDs originating from our editing computers have a higher failure rate. Just when you think you've checked it, some client comes along with a 10-year-old player that nods off every time you say boo. But that's about as much as you can do.

www.derekmok.com
March 02, 2009 04:07PM
if youre just monitoring SD via camcorder/firewire. an old sony pvm field monitor would be more than fine. you can pick those up used all over the place for a few hundred bucks - as they are considered "outdated"

i have one on my desk and its never let me down for broadcast QC
March 02, 2009 05:01PM
Just a quick question while we are on this subject; Someone is giving me a Sony PVM 20M2MDU broadcast monitor that is used for the medical field, (I know it's not as good). If I connect a S-Video cable from my ATI 3870 video card to the S-Video port on the back of the Sony monitor, will I able to monitor what I'm doing in FCP? This would be for SD editing...
March 02, 2009 09:50PM
Just for the record...

You guys were right about the flat screen not being a good monitoring solution. I had all kinds of playback problems monitoring from the flat screen. So it's back in the box ready to go back to the store.

I hooked up the old monitor again and everything is playing back just fine.

Somehow it doesn't seem so big and ugly anymore.

Another question on this topic of monitoring:

I installed the ATI Radeon HD 3870 graphics card last month and haven't really noticed any performance difference. So that makes me wonder if something is not connected properly.

I have my workspace monitor connected to my computer. My DV deck is firewired to the computer. I have an S out of my DV deck into the old monitor. The old monitor does not have a VGA or DVI input so I cannot hook connect it directly to the computer. Since the old monitor is not connected directly to my computer am I getting any benefit from the new card?

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
March 02, 2009 11:29PM
as a monitoring system - NO. youre not going to see any benefit from the radeon card. and not a ton of benefit at all unless youre doing something thats graphic card intensive. and to my knowledge, most (if not all) fcp activity is not.

your card does appear to have an s-vid output. so id imagine you might be able to monitor out from that. but im not sure that fcp has the functionality to see it.

id say you are best off to monitor your old way via deck/firewire. and KEEP your second flat screen monitor as a second computer monitor. you cant go wrong with more desktop space for bins and palettes etc...
March 03, 2009 07:41AM
What about Motion? That's pretty graphics intensive. One of the reasons I upgraded to the new card was because I'm starting to do more motion graphics work and getting into working with several layers and real time playback was lagging. I thought upgrading to this recommended graphics card would speed up playback, but I really haven't noticed much difference in performance.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
March 03, 2009 09:32AM
yeah. apparently motion (as in the application "motion"winking smiley is one place where video card horsepower is really supposed to shine. but what were the specs of your original card and what are those of the new one?
March 04, 2009 03:30PM
The card I replaced is what shipped with my Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHZ Dual-Core Intel Xeon

The new card is the ATI Radeon HD 3870 - 512 VRAM

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
March 04, 2009 11:08PM
Shelley,

Probably what your original Mac Pro had for a video card was the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT. Upgrading to the ATI Radeon HD 3870, you should be seeing a very big performance boost when working with large complex projects in Motion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics