The batch from hell

Posted by Andy Field 
The batch from hell
March 09, 2009 06:39PM
I'm sure there's a simple way to solve this

Started a Batch compress in Compressor - then half way through had to abort it (wasn't a good original as we'd thought)

Now I can't delete that batch setting (not in compressor -- in the Batch Monitor)

Have tried deleting preferences - deleting batches - repairing permissions - it still thinks it's doing that batch

Each time I start from scratch

Any ideas? Thanks
Re: The batch from hell
March 09, 2009 06:46PM
Sounds like a real nasty problem. You could try sending something to compressor directly from FCP (make sure it is not open at that point).

Does Compressor give you any indication what's going on with your ghost batch ( progress bar moving etc.)? Can you just let it finish or is it hung?
March 09, 2009 06:59PM
Open Compressor

In the Compressor menu, select Reset Background processes. It should help. If you submitted to your virtual cluster, you'll have to delete the qmaster spool as well
March 09, 2009 07:27PM
Scott -

Brilliant! That did it - thanks -- Batch sent back to Hades where it belongs
March 09, 2009 07:28PM
PS Nick - yes it had a progress bar in the batch and you could PAUSE it - but not delete - it just hung there either way
March 10, 2009 11:53AM
or in the finder, hit shift apple G (go to), type: var/spool/qmaster and delete everything in there.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 10, 2009 04:20PM
Slightly OT but when the Cluster rendering works it really works well. I had to troubleshoot a Compressor set up on a 4 core system and I was deleting all the qmaster spools and such and thought I would see if I could get the virtual cluster to run just on the 4 cores. So much faster. It's a pain when it fails and so much seems to be happening under the hood that debugging is a little arduous but at least with multicore machines it's worth it to try and get it running.
I don't usually deal with file output, usually tapes and the odd DVD but this is a nice workflow option. I wanna see if I can add my MBP to a cluster over ethernet and see how that goes...

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
March 11, 2009 01:23PM
Bringing in multiple machines isn't as fast as you think, especially over ethernet.

The real problem is data management. Unless you have some proper high speed shared storage, you're going to waste all your time saved on processing in file transfer. You also have to build a proper cluster inside QMaster, as virtual clusters only work on a single machine. Additionally, Compressor takes a while to recombine those split files, soo much that sometimes it's faster to send to a single instance, depending on the length of the clip.

Also, when you delete the var/spool, it's a good idea to reset the background processing anyway, otherwise sometimes it can regenerate the spool and keep going.
March 11, 2009 04:15PM
Technically, that's not quite true. A Qmaster QuickCluster has the option of including unmanaged advertised service instances from other nodes on the local network. So if you have two Macs both running Qmaster QuickClusters with unmanaged services, submitting to either controller can engage all services on both nodes.

March 11, 2009 06:25PM
Either way I am taking Scott's advice and leaving what's working well enough alone.

I've been using the laptop to digitize boxloads of "subject acquired" (read: give 4 HV30 to the doc subjects and let em rip) HDV footage in FCP5 to a firewire drive while I process the loads of P2 cards (with corruptions!)and the P900 DVCProHD tape sources. I'll be earning my bones on this one. Multiple frame rates, multiple aspect ratios, multiple acquisition formats, multitrack dual system sound etc.
BTW Andreas' SequenceLiner has already come in handy for lining up performance video and audio by AuxTC. I'll get more out of using the Laptop to do other tasks when the rendering comes around...long day...rambling...bleh

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics