RED into FCP

Posted by TroyChristian 
RED into FCP
March 16, 2009 09:23PM
Searching the FAQ and googling. First attempt at bringing RED footage into FCP. Can anyone send me a link to what I need to know to get up and running? I have files directly from the camera on a Drive and have yet to even try to import- so I m brand new to the world of RED... so a link to a tutorial would be swell.

Thanks!

Troy

FCP 6.0.5
Quad Intel
Re: RED into FCP
March 16, 2009 09:50PM
Yikes! You are in for a world of hurt as some guy in a black T-shirt once said.

Go here

[reduser.net]

Look at the stickies

also

Goggle" Red FCP Workflow" Lots of tuts online

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 17, 2009 12:59PM
And before diving in, determine what your deliverable format is, and focus on learning that. It can otherwise get very complex very quickly.

On FCP 6.0.5 it can however actually be quite easy if all you need do is edit with the proxies. That of course is only good to do if you are finishing for broadcast or DVD distribution for example.

If it's anything more ambitious than that, i.e. output to film or output as image sequences for sfx work etc., you need to collaborate very closely with your postpro partners on this.

Whatever the choice, make sure to test the workflow first with backups of the original RED files.

Clay
March 17, 2009 01:25PM
Thanks gents ...

It is for an EPK- therefore the delivery is to SD DVD or some sort of compressed "web i edit".

What I am gathering from tutorials and you guys is:

1- take some headache medicine
2- back it up before beginning
3- for my purposes- a mixed format timeline out to promo DVD - log and transfer, edit, then export to appropriate format (mpeg 2 or 4 e.g.)
4- send for help

Troy

btw - I am using a Kona LHe. Not that it makes a difference, but I left that info out in my original post.

Thanks again....
March 18, 2009 03:14AM
Maybe have the headache medicine standby, but since you're going to SD or Web, you mostly likely won't need it. Editing with proxies should be fine in your case.

Definetly back up all the RED files (your masters) before doing anything. Just as you would with P2 or m2t or XDCam or any other filebased media.

Read this: (it explains getting started with the proxy method pretty well)

www.hdhead.com/?p=158

Send for help over at reduser.net if you get stuck.

Clay
March 25, 2009 04:36PM
Hi gents,

So, I RED up on the links you guys gave for importing and editing using the proxy files. Simply choose the proxy that matches, import it into FCP and edit away. Export for DVD ...

When bring the file in to FCP I can hear the audio (which stutters a bit) and I see a white screen only. If I try to drop it into the timeline I get an error that reads "codec not found. You may be using a compression type without the corresponding hardware card.

I do NOT know the setting that were used on the RED cam as it was shot.

Any ideas?

Troy
March 25, 2009 04:49PM
You probably need to update your REDCODE. I believe different camera builds require different REDCODE versions.

March 25, 2009 07:24PM
Thanks.
Is that a google search or a known link?
March 25, 2009 08:14PM
Got it - thanks.

Simple question- If my end user is SD DVD the proper proxy would be the H or half file, correct?
March 26, 2009 05:21AM
<<If my end user is SD DVD the proper proxy would be the H or half file, correct?>>

Generally speaking, yes. Although, it's important to understand that the proxies have no fixed resolutions, but are relative to what the original resolution is. So, if the original footage is 2K, the Half proxy will give you half of that. Should be fine for SD. If it's 4K then half of that, which may be way overkill for SD. Use a smaller proxy in that case.

With RED there are tons of variables in the equation. Pretty much each project requires that you plan out your workflow, run a few tests, and then decide which one works best for you.

So, take it for a testdrive by dropping a few of the Half proxies into your SD timeline and burn a test DVD.

Clay
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics