OT: Natasha Richardson passed away...

Posted by Shane Ross 
OT: Natasha Richardson passed away...
March 18, 2009 08:23PM
[www.cnn.com]

The ski injury was worse than it seemed. Severe brain bleeding. MAN...TWO fine actors gone in a week...both very young.

NELL was the film she met her husband Liam Neeson while working on...and NELL was the first film my wife an I saw together...first date.

She will be missed.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Re: OT: Natasha Richardson passed away...
March 18, 2009 08:28PM
Not to turn this into a process story, but this was a truly strange incident. A media outlet reported her passing yesterday, then promptly retracted the story. For more than a day it seemed like the rumors were flying in all directions.

Death is always a tragedy. Premature death doubly so. But for someone's passing to be marred by rumor is just heartbreaking.

March 18, 2009 08:52PM
:'(

Such awful news, she was a fantastic British Actress - Such a great loss.

I've been a ski instructor for over 15 years and never heard of a death on a nursery/beginner slope.

Apparently she wasn't wearing a helmet. Something I recommend you wear no matter what speed you are going to do. Not least because of the possibility of free-riding snowboards and other out of control skiers/boarders.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 18, 2009 09:02PM
I worked with her on "The Parent Trap" she was a very nice lady, and quite the accomplished actor. And Liam must be devastated.

This saddens me so much.

Dan
March 18, 2009 09:18PM
Horrible...horrible news. Could have happened to anyone...it was on a beginner slope as well. Nobody wears a helmet on the beginners slope.

Acting royalty from the Redgrave family. Most memorable - she was the mom in the remake of Disney's "Parent Trap" (yeah...I got kids). Liam is also one of my favs. I feel so heartbroken for him.

Rest in peace sad smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 18, 2009 11:46PM
Astounding. It was a friggen beginners hill. What are the odds here? This is beyond a freakish accident. So tragic. So sad for the family and those that loved her.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 19, 2009 01:08AM
When I'd first saw "ski accident" I'd thought it was a sprained ankle or something, didn't even read the actual articles. So it was a massive shock today to read that she'd died. But she'd lived well, and had a body of work to be proud of.

www.derekmok.com
March 19, 2009 02:00AM
im with derek. when i saw the story a couple days ago on CNN.com i was wondering "whats the big deal? she broke her leg or something..." i had to read shane's thread title 3 times before it sunk in.

really sad.

i have this screenplay in my head that i'll never make and i'd always imagined her in the lead role.
March 19, 2009 11:53AM
I followed this yesterday on the news tab on Imdb...hoping until this morning that a wonder may happen. It's so horrible. I can't imagine what Liam and their kids must be going through...
Trying to learn some skiing on the beginners lope, you fall down and get up again feeling fine...until you get a headache and fall into a coma and die... gees unbelievably sad.sad smiley
March 19, 2009 12:13PM
It's possible she had a pre-existing brain condition that wasn't diagnosed, like a ticking-bomb aneurysm, exacerbated by the fall. Many latent health conditions aren't noticeable unless they look very specifically.

www.derekmok.com
March 19, 2009 03:15PM
As she didn't apparently didn't strike her head when she fell, the loss of balance & the fall may have been caused by a stroke that went undetected under the circumstances. If it had happened while walking on the street it would have possibly given more warning that something was wrong.

Dave
March 19, 2009 03:18PM
Results were just released...she did die of the fall, which caused an epidural hematoma.

We have to take care of ourselves.

www.derekmok.com
March 19, 2009 03:48PM
Already noted on Wikipedia under Notable Cases:

[en.wikipedia.org]
March 19, 2009 04:13PM
That sucks. There's a report going around ? I'm pretty sure I saw it earlier on CNN's Web site ? saying that she didn't receive first aid attention on the scene of the accident.

Epidural bleeding is very serious, because it's often caused by damage to an artery rather than a vein, and the bleeding is a lot faster. But an epidural bleed is the easiest thing in the world to spot on a CT, and because it doesn't directly involve the brain, surgical resolution is practically trivial in comparison to other head injuries.

Yes, okay, fine, we can all agree that she'd have been a lot safer if she'd been wearing a helmet. But this is the sort of injury that should be absolutely no big deal if medical attention is available when it happens.

Freakin' sad.

March 19, 2009 06:10PM
I haven't been skiing for more than 25 years, but when i did i never saw a helmet. I don't think such things even existed then.

I ride a 600cc motorbike in London, but would be happy to go without a "lid" on the slopes.

This is a tragic, and wildly improbable accident that could happen to anyone. And not necessarily on a ski slope.

Either way it's a terrible loss for her family and friends, and the wider public who've lost an actress inevitably touched with greatness.
March 19, 2009 07:38PM
25 years ago I only used a helmet for racing.

Unfortunately in 25 years the slopes have become like London rush hour and the risk of injury from collision is far greater as the volume of skiers/borders on piste is huge.

All ski-school children below a certain age wear helmets in Europe.

For less than $40 a helmet can save your life. Its an absolute must if you want to throw yourself down an icy mountain at high speed!

Certainly my helmets have saved me from serious injury on a number of occasions whether racing or simply skiing recreationally.

Its no use in retrospect now but anyone reading this should make sure a helmet is part of your mountain gear for skiing or boarding whether you own or hire your kit.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 19, 2009 07:42PM
You'll be hard pressed to find anyone wearing helmets on the ski slopes, other than the people who ski REALLY FAST.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 19, 2009 08:15PM
Well maybe thats something that will change due to this tragedy. I hope so for the sake of other families.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics