Best way to move around assets

Posted by lpena 
Best way to move around assets
March 23, 2009 04:07PM
I have clips, sequences and other assets rooted to one project. However I want to move these assets to a new project and have them root to the new project. How do I move these assets into the new project so the files are in the new project and removed from the old project?
Re: Best way to move around assets
March 23, 2009 04:13PM
If you don't need to move the media itself, simply make a new project and drag the clips and sequences from one project to another. Then you can delete those items from the first project.
March 23, 2009 07:09PM
Or you could try Media Manager if it's more complex than a sequence or two.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
March 23, 2009 09:19PM
Sounds like somebody is just starting to dive into the deep, still waters of media management in Final Cut Pro.

There is no association between media files and Final Cut Pro projects. If you look at the detailed information for any clip in any bin, you'll see an attribute called "Source" that includes a path to a file on disk somewhere. If that file moves, or becomes inaccessible, Final Cut will say "uh-oh, media offline" and throw something ugly and red at your eyeballs. On the other hand, as long as that media file stays wherever it was when Final Cut first learned of its existence, Final Cut will continue to be happy, if in a slightly stupid, eats-too-many-paint-chips sort of way.

In other words, no, you do not have any clips that are "rooted" to a project. This concept doesn't apply to Final Cut.

There are a few ways to accomplish what you want, but to be honest, the quickest and easiest will probably just be to duplicate your project file, open up the original, remove all timelines and media files except the ones you want, then open up the duplicate and remove all the timelines and media files you left in the other project.

April 06, 2009 04:11PM
Thank you Tom, Noah and Jerry for your suggestions. I apologize for not getting back to this thread sooner. I think I'm going to use the Media Manager for this issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics