Transition Plug in Package

Posted by shelleyrae 
Transition Plug in Package
March 29, 2009 09:15AM
Hi Everyone -

Does anyone know what plugs in are used for all those flashy transitions they use on the "E" and "Oprah" shows? There's a great blooming flash that I see a lot and also a newer sparkly star like transition effect.

Do you think these are all custom transitions or are they part of a plug in package?

Thanks,
Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Transition Plug in Package
March 29, 2009 10:06AM
Those are Sapphire plugins...spendy. We are talking about them here:

[www.lafcpug.org]

Cheaper option. Eureka FREE for FCP (google them) has a VAPOR ACROSS that matches that blow out look.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 29, 2009 10:48AM
I checked out the thread and went to the demo site. That's exactly what I was after.

Now my question is, are they easy to use?

I bought Film Effects package a while back and it didn't have any instructions on how to use all the filters. A lot of them are drag and drop and those I use a lot but there are so many other filters that I have no clue what to do with.

So I would like to know if there are any instructions on how to use the Sapphire filters and transitions and/or if they are easy to use? I also would like to know if they work better in Motion or FC?

Thanks,

Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
March 29, 2009 10:55AM
They are easy to use...very drag and drop. They might come with instructions, but I don't remember.

You are cool with the cost? Wow.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 29, 2009 05:09PM
No I'm really not okay with the cost. But maybe after getting seduced by the free three week trial I may feel differently.

I wish you could just buy the exact ones you want instead of the whole box set.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
March 30, 2009 08:08AM
I've been playing around the the free trial Sapphire package and no, it does not come with any instructions. Just a document that shows what you can achieve with each effect. This is the same problem I had with another plug in package I bought. I only know how to use a few of the many, many filters it shipped with.

The Sapphire transitions were easy to use - just drag and drop on the edit point. I looked through all of them and most of the useful transitions are duplicates of what Final Cut ships with. But it did have that ONE transition I've been lusting for and that's the "Dissolve Glow." I've asked about this particular transition in other threads (you see this a lot on Oprah and E.) I'm happy I found it but not willing to fork over $700 for that one transition. The TMTS Flash Transition comes close and I've tried playing with the parameters but can't get that smooth glow movement as in the "Dissolve Glow" from Sapphire.

I have a feeling that if I knew what I was doing, I could probably recreate something close to that using the filters that shipped with FC and Motion. But sadly, I don't. It's clear to me that I really need a better understanding on how to work with the goodies that I already have.

So first, do any of you know where I can find some kind of tutorial that shows how to use the Sapphire plug ins? I would like to play with them while I have them for a few weeks.

Second, do any of you know how to create that "Dissolve Glow" using the existing tools from FC or Motion?

Third, I would like to learn as much as I can about creating effects, using filters, mattes, keyframing, etc. I have a few of Mark Spencer's books and DVDs, but would like to learn more. I also use Lynda.com on a regular basis. Any other resources you can suggest would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
March 30, 2009 12:02PM
Noiseindustry FXFactory Transitions

FxFactory GlowDissolve

Not sure if these are close to the Sapphire plugins but they're less expensive and they have explanations of the parameters.
March 30, 2009 01:32PM
Thanks. I will check those out.

I did find out that GenArts who makes Sapphire is coming out with a free DVD tutorial at the end of April - which is when my trial period is over sad smiley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
March 30, 2009 02:02PM
i dont know why youd need instructions for the sapphire stuff. none of them are that technical. just find one that looks right and play with all the sliders to see what each one does.

if you were motion tracking, chroma keying, speed ramps or things like that - there IS some bits there that would need explanation. but really most of the sapphire stuff is pretty intuitive...
March 31, 2009 02:53PM
I understand it's easy to drag and drop but after looking at the Sapphire demo reel there is a lot of effects that aren't not at all "intuitive" to me. I'm just not at that skill level yet.

I did find some tutorials on YouTube and more are promised in the future. So looking at a few of those gives me an idea of how to use them for my current project.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
March 31, 2009 10:42PM
hey shelley, hope you didnt take any insult at my last comment. im just not one to dink about looking for instructions.

i learned after effects way back before adobe bought it from cosa, and there WASNT a manual. i learned then that there is a LOT to be learned by just clicking around and seeing what does what.

a lot of the sapphire stuff hinges around terms like spread, density, intensity, distance, etc. of course there are alpha/composite settings as well, but most of those are fairly in line with how theyd behave in a photoshop or fcp application.

i say your time is better spent just playing with sliders (or asking questions here) than in looking for the 8 or 10 tutorials that may be currently available...

a little piece of advice. to see the most educational value in experimenting. id suggest working with three layers on your fcp timeline. the base layer being either a solid color or a slightly textured full frame object. a random video clip over that (cropped to half screen) and an alpha item (like text) over that. because each plugin will work differently depending on whats behind it. and if you have those 3 live layers you will see more of what each effect does...
April 01, 2009 08:26AM
No offense taken, Wayne. Actually I did find a few tutorials on YouTube that showed how you can change all the parameters and just from watching a few of those, it gave me an idea of what you can do. I realize there is no manual that could ever possibly show you all the effects you can get. I just needed to see a few examples on how to work with them.

Thanks,
Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
April 01, 2009 09:28AM
industrial revolution - volume matrix
its in the fx-plugs that craig mentioned.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
April 04, 2009 07:10PM
Hi,

I just wanted to mention some of the options for learning Sapphire Plug-ins for FCP. Right now there is a tutorial on our website available from:

[www.genarts.com]

It is for an earlier version of Sapphire and covers mostly After Effects, but the concepts are very similar as to how the plug-ins work.

Additionally, we have few videos posted on youtube and will be adding more, just do a search for Genarts Sapphire and you will see a list of what is available.

[www.youtube.com]
April 05, 2009 01:26PM
Very nice plugins but hard to justify the cost.

Another source for good pluins is:

[www.redgiantsoftware.com]

I have used many of the Trapcode plugins and found them easy to use with great results.

I like the look of the Sapphire plugins and would certainly purchase them if their prices were more inline with FX Factory. Trapcode, etc..
April 08, 2009 11:06AM
Thanks for the tips. I'm comparing the FX Factory free trial effects and these are also very cool. I love all the transitions choices and the fact that like Sapphire, you can experiment with the parameters to get a variety of looks from one transition. The FX Factory package price is much easier on the wallet. I appreciate the info.

Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
April 08, 2009 11:37AM
And the FX Factory architecture actually allows you to modify/add more features to the plugins as well as create your own. I don't think they state that clearly enough on their site.

Given their "partner" development there seems to be frequent additions from the partners often in the $50-$100 range.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics